1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Case for Thaddeus Young

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you 100% in a "normal" situation. However, the Rockets have to trade Asik and is dealing with a position of weakness. Also, Asik will be due about $20 million in the remaining years, so even the cap number is 8.3 mil, this is a big number for many teams.

Thaddeus Young is not your normal tweener. The tweener label is given to players that CAN'T play either position well. Thad Young is a great fit for both spots, especially on a team that likes to play small and run. He can be used exclusively as a 3 and can guard 3s. Just because Carmelo sometimes plays the 4 does not make him a tweener.

2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

you ppl don't get it. We don't need another solid player. we need another player maker/star

3. dmoneybangbang

I agree Young does fit with the Rox's direction and I agree he wouldn't be replacing TJones. However, he does seem to be more in the mold of a more athletic Parsons Chandler who plays better D (I think Parsons has better "intangibles"). This begs the question of how does he fit with Parsons? Don't get me wrong, Parsons, Young, TJones, and Howard would give us a lot of length and athleticism on the wing and in the paint.... but how does it all work with rotations and minutes?

4. dmoneybangbang

Why? There's only one ball. I think people have fallen in love with this big 3 concept.

5. dmoneybangbang

What's wrong with a big 2 plus a borderline allstar and depth?

6. NotChandlerParsons

The Rockets don't have to trade Asik. You don't pay to dump an elite defensive center no matter how much he's pouting.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then pray that one of our guys turns into an allstar. Cheapest of all options.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I don't know where you get the perception that Morey is going to make a bad deal just because Asik is unhappy. That this situation is abnormal in some way that forces Morey into a corner. That is the sentiment of desperation and I see no evidence the Rockets are desperate.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does not mean he NEVER ends on the Rockets. Never say 100%.
    Perhaps not this time but any time during his career?

10. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

I prefer hawes he can back up the 5 and is. Better shooter than Thad.

I like Thad's versatility. If we could trade asik and dmo for Thad and hawes that's be great.salaries don't quite match though.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Damn it, looks like Murray is reading this board again.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

does he block shots like Jones?

13. dmoneybangbang

It's not desperation, it's just timing. Asik will eventually be traded without a doubt so lets trade sooner than later. Especially considering more panic moves will be made mid season over the off season.

14. dmoneybangbang

Does he need to? Does Jones have the versatility to guard wing players like Young? As we are seeing in the Magic game in the 3rd quarter, we got Jones at center. Jones maybe strong enough (especially after a few off seasons) to be a 4/5. Young would be a 3/4.

I would be more worried about Chandler's role than Jones.

15. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

no need to trade asik unless good deal

we can keep him till next year if needed

16. dmoneybangbang

I think people need to realize we aren't getting dollar for dollar for Asik, at least initially. Perhaps the player and picks we get are greater than the sum in time, but I'd rather not have wishy washy motivation from Asik taking up a roster spot.

17. Classic

Classic Member

Is Camby coming back this year? Seems like he'd sure make a nice insurance policy if we dealt Asik for TYoung

18. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I think you missed my point. I don't disagree with the bolded (above), but that is not what you originally said (refer to your 2 quoted statements in my prior post). The nuances of my posts may sometimes be hard to detect, but as an attorney, I do generally mean what I say and not more :p

My problem is that your original post and follow-up comments were misleading because you were not comparing apples to oranges. You implied that Thad Young is on par w/ Josh Smith (he isn't) by using career averages for the latter and a better, small sample size for the former.

Using career averages for Battier was also misleading as, again, he's much older now and has had a longer career. Why not then just use the career average of Battier and compare it to Thad Young's career avg? Because then Battier would look much superior. Who cares if Thad Young has posted 100 DRating ONCE and Battier never has? Give me a person who can post 102 for multiple seasons any day over a person who has done 100 once but also much worse and has a worse average over his total career. Same for Bowen. A person who can consistently give you great defensive numbers vs. a one-off season? Who knows if Young could ever dip below 103 again (not that 103 and 102 are THAT different in the first place).

Again, don't misunderstand my post. I am not saying Thad Young will not be as good as Battier or Bowen or even JSmith one day, just that he isn't there yet. He's not an ELITE defender yet, but sure, his last two seasons are good signs that he could be. This season so far not so much, but it is still early on. If it is your OPINION that he is already more ELITE than those listed, then that's fine. You lay out your cards and your argument and I will lay out mine. But if you're going to challenge people (like subzor, with your quote: "What evidence do you have that suggest this? If you watch most of Philly's games, then I would understand this assessment, but his advanced stats are off the charts. All you have to do is look at my first post to see how he stacks up against Bruce Bowen, Josh Smith, and Shane Battier.") while misusing stats, then get prepared to be called out...

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm OK with young if it happens. He's not the stretch four that everyone thinks we need, but he can shoot the three a little bit. He does provide solid depth at both the three and the four. He's athletic and can get up and down the floor.

With TJones and Young at PF, that position would look much better than it did when the season started.