1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for starting Asik at the 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Raw Texas

Raw Texas Member

No, that's just dumb... We will still need a good defensive backup center, and Camby isn't it. Plus we need a 4 that can spread the floor alittle.

Ps
    I see Dwight as more of a 4 than Asik purely because of his athleticism and size, that alone could let him keep up with smaller and quicker 4s

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Whatever dude. Just remember that I will be watching your future posts. And if you err you can expect me to come down on you even harder. And no I will not get negative rep for this. It does not quite work that way. But you will learn that.

1 person likes this.
  3. basketballholic

youdothat

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those numbers don't make any sense. I'd like to see the game by game break out. We get killed inside - especially by teams like Denver. These stats aren't telling the full story.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

These numbers are for the starting PF and center of the Rockets opponents.

Date Opponent Center Points RB PF Points RB
    04/17/13 LAL Howard 16 18 Gasol 17 20
    04/12/13 Mem Gasol 15 11 Randolf 15 8
    03/30/13 LAC Jordan 3 5 Blake 12 3
    03/29/13 Mem Gasol 21 5 Randolf 21 12
    03/27/13 Ind Hibbert 28 13 Hansbrough 16 8
    03/24/13 SAS Splitter 17 7 Duncan 17 7
    02/20/13 OKC Thabeet 4 3 Ibaka 16 7
    02/13/13 LAC Jordan 6 4 Blake 20 11
    01/15/13 LAC Blake 19 4 Jordan 9 4
    01/08/13 LAL Sacre 10 3 MWP 24 6
    12/29/13 OKC Perkins 2 7 Ibaka 9 10
    12/28/13 SAS Splitter 9 6 Duncan 30 5
    12/10/13 SAS Blair 9 5 Duncan 10 13
    12/07/13 SAS Blair 8 5 Duncan 12 12
    12/04/13 LAL Howard 16 10 Jamison 16 10
    11/28/13 OKC Perkins 4 4 Ibaka 23 9
    11/09/13 Mem Gasol 6 4 Randolf 15 14
    Total 193 114 282 159
    / by 18 11.35 6.71 16.59 9.35

So, I therefore conclude that the Rockets need better wing defenders. And they need paint protection 48 minutes a game. Remember that the Rockets were a top 10 defense when Asik was in the game and a bottom 3 when he was out. Anything that points out how the opponents reserves performed is actually an indictment of the Rockets front court reserves, which the addition of Howard should fix.

There are formatting problems with the data, but you get the idea.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

looks like OKC is skewing the sample pretty badly, and some injuries with the subs are being included. Also you didn't include denver. Of course OKC's front line isn't going to be that big of a problem for us - it isn't a scoring front line. That is a perimeter team.

Looking at that data, it does indeed tell me we are getting beat up inside. I don't think wing defense is something we can improve on too much - Parsons is who we got there. But that's my opinion. We are weak defensively upfront and those number actually seem to back that up.

7. basketballholic

Good start.

You left out 11/18 though for starters. I didn't peruse the rest of the list.
    Here's those numbers to add to your pile: howard 28/13 Pau 17/5

Oh....might want to post the Rockets 4/5 starters stats too if you are going to look at head-to-head matchups.

#127 basketballholic, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  8. basketballholic

Denver and San Antonio are not in there and the data is somewhat skewed from my point because it includes games against LA where Sacre and Jamison are playing in place of Dwight/Pau. We know that Asik and whoever is going to have an advantage on Sacre and Jamison. The fact is the upper echelon teams with power bigs that play in closer to the basket beat us up good last year. We simply couldn't match up with them using PPat or Morris or DMo or Delfino or anybody else playing 4 alongside Asik.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You add in the Denver data. I am done with this. But remember that the Denver games are not going to change the result much. And Asik only played ~32 minutes per game. That leaves 16 minutes of feasting on a front line totally void of a paint protector. I think that the addition of Howard fixes this issue, and the negatives on the offensive end will totally outweigh the positives (if there are any) on the defensive side. IMHO this debate is decided.

10. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

You've got my vote, JTR.

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I do agree that when howard sits that we have asik in. I think at all times asik needs to be there if howard is not.

12. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

With Asik and Howard on the court the same time assuming you starting both, the paint is going to be crowded. Every time Howard is going to be double teamed no matter where Asik is.

The solution is simple: we need somebody who can stretch the floor or at least keep the defender honest.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Thank you all. And it has been a great debate. I look forward to discussing the Rockets with you all in the future.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not sure if I am convinced whether this will work or not by this discussion. While good points have been made, the hardwood is where the real convincing will come from. And if Asik is still on the roster come opening night, then there is no doubt in my mind that the Asik/Howard duo will be tried in all its manifestations.

What makes me more hopeful than any argument so far that this could work is look who is there to guide the process?

Mchale of the Mchale/Parish twin towers
    Hakeem of the Hakeem/Samson and Hakeem/Thorpe twin towers

Were talking NBA champion towers performers. Mchale and Hakeem together have a plethora of experience on this. If any two guys can resurrect the twin towers in Houston, I cant think of two better people for the job.

15. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

They won't start together but could share the floor for a few minutes per game depending on match ups. T Jones should start next to Howard. Dmo and asik can be the twin towers off the bench.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Exactly. And I totally expect to see Asik and Howard on the court together next season. It would be negligent on the part of the Rockets coaching staff not to try it out. But I do not think anyone in the Rockets organization has high expectations of their performance together. The real tangible benefit is having 48 minutes of paint protection on the court, and having both Howard and Asik rested come playoffs next season.

17. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Yes

Totally agree here. All year teams with good wingmen have ate us up. Parsons can only do so much. Sure the basket defense is stellar when we have Asik in but the team fell apart when he sat so why is this? Look at the stats.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Realistically Howard is a top contender for DPOY every year he is healthy. And he is in his prime. I could see the Rockets as a top 3 defensive team with Howard in and a top 8 defensive team with Asik playing. That combined with an offense that will improve from last years #2 standing ... Well the future certainly looks bright doesn't it?

19. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

yes

I agree partially. I do think they need to get better in Defense in other areas. I have always been unhappy with the defense outside the paint and I haven't seen a lot of improvement there. The team did seem to improve toward the end of the year and I am expecting them to continue along this vein this year. I still don't see a top 10 team defense yet. It was the main reason I wanted Josh Smith here.

20. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

ok

Should have added. With Asik and Howard keeping the rim protected all game would be amazing defensively.