1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for keeping Kubiak

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bandwagoner, Nov 21, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Kubiak does do some weird crap. But I do believe that overall, his game-calling has been good. Especially this year with efficient drives that ends in TDs. He makes way too many WTF decisions at the worst times. But these are mistakes you can live with if you have a good complete team. And they wouldn't have mattered much if we didn't suck so much.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

But they do matter. The WTF calls do matter. 5 years is more than enough. It's time to move on.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The only reason to keep Kubiak is if you are a Titans, Jags or Colts fan.

DD

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Kubiak is a genius!!! We makin history as we go!!!

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Bottom line, regardless of whether the defense is bad or the offense is good, the head coach is the one in charge. Every coach in the league with as much or more tenure than Kubiak has taken their team to the playoffs. In 5 years Kubiak hasn't proven he can be anything more than mediocre. Even last year when we had a top 5 offense, a middle of the pack defense (the best defense we've EVER had), and a more favorable schedule, we only managed to be 1 game over .500 and we still missed the playoffs. If we had last years defense, we may have been better than 4-6, but in all likelihood we'd still finish around .500 and miss the playoffs . . . AGAIN!!!

The people who want Kubiak fired aren't basing it solely on this season. Kubiak has shown what he is, a good offensive coordinator and a mediocre head coach. He's better than Dom Capers and the team improved under his leadership and for that I thank him. But he's he's shown that his ceiling isn't very high. 5 years of mediocre football is enough. McNair thought last year was a sign that we were about to get over the hump. It wasn't. Kubiak is Kubiak. All evidence points to him being nothing more than mediocre and that's all the Texans can aspire to be while he's in control.

6. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

The only people who should still want Kubiak as HC are Klint, Klay and any other sons whose names start with K......

7. Mr. Space City

i can't believe this logic.

so kubiak should lose all control over choosing staff and just control the offense?

isn't that what an offensive coordinator does?

it's the defensive coordinators fault kubiak didn't run the ball more on the colts?

it's rick smiths fault we have clock management that makes les miles scratch his head?

This guy made the decision to cut Dunta. He made the decision to draft a rookie that wasn't even the best cover corner out there and to insert him no matter what. He made the decision to build the team like this. The secondary is on him.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Please don't tell me what their middle initials are.

9. msn

msn Member

I don't think there is any defense for keeping this head coach.

He chose the DC (twice!!). He chose the GM.

His QB, under his tutelage, still doesn't know when to call a freaking TO.

Too much boneheaded stupidity with playcalling, clock management, etc. Too much mind-numbing mediocrity.

HOW, with this kind of talent, is this team this bad? The secondary is the only unit with below-average talent (and that situation is also Kubiak's doing).

I'm sorry, but I can't come up with a coherent defense for keeping this guy that doesn't involve closing one's eyes and making Carr-esque excuses.

Frankly, considering the fact that there could be a great delay in beginning the next season (if it begins at all) and a new regime will be hard-pressed to get to know everyone, I'd be tickled pink if Gruden or Cowher or Dungy were head coach, with Phillips or Rhodes (or both) as DC, by this Sunday. I know there's no way on earth that would happen, and probably a few reasons why it's not a good idea. But we know what we have in Kubiak. Who's interested in even six more weeks of it?

Not me.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

How does this make sense?? You take your team as a complete package. You can't pick and choose the areas in which you want to analyze them. The mistakes are what MAKE the team suck so much, and the mistakes are more often than not brought on by shoddy preparation, and bad decisions. As Kubiak loves to say, that's on him.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Are all of you people who want a new HC really want a house cleaning and another three year wait for the playoffs?

Or, are you wanting GK to run the ball more except at the end of the Jets game and that QB sneak?

We all want the Texans in the playoffs. But with their talent level and their schedule are we really surprised that they are struggling?

IMO the quickest path to the playoffs is replacing the DC (and GK if he will not go along). I do not want to rebuild. I want to see what a real DC can do with the players we have, before we just chuck the whole thing. That is my albeit weak case for keeping GK.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Changing coaches doesn't mean you have to start over and go into rebuilding mode. Didn't Payton take the Saints to the NFC championship game in 1 yr? Or Tony Sparano take the Dolphins from 1-15 to 11-5 in 1 year? How about the Ken Whisenhunt, didn't he take the Cards to the SB in 2 years? Lots of examples of teams putting the right people in place and it making all the difference in the world.

13. Summer Song Giver

I have to disagree with this, the entire defense is lacking talent, how many of them would be starters for other teams? Mario and?????

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

As I stated in another thread, Bob McNair is very much a part of the PROBLEM, not a part of the SOLUTION. The fact that he was willing to give Kubiak an extension so quickly after ANOTHER mediocre season, and then come out after the Chargers loss and say "I don't know why fans are upset" tells me everything I need to know about what his plans are going forward. He simply likes Kubiak the MAN too much to move away from Kubiak the COACH. If he actually steps up and MAKES the change, I will be happier than anybody, but color me skeptical. The only thing this franchise has ever rewarded the fans with is average play, and poor decision-making.

15. Landlord Landry

it's not a rebuild. it's just a re tool.

the pieces are in place (sans secondary) for this team to be in the playoffs.

Kubiak has personally cost the team at least 3 wins. That means, imo, with a more polished game manager in place the Texans should probably be 7-3, 8-2, 6-4. even with that crappy defense.

it's just the same freakin story every year. same record. new excuses.

16. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

What gives you faith that Kubiak is somehow going to learn how to manage the game? What gives you faith that Kubiak will not continue to take stupid gambles like they have with the secondary going into this season?

Even if this team wins and gets to the playoffs next year, Kubiak has glaring weaknesses that will never let this team win big. Playoffs is the next step for this team and I'll be ecstatic when they make it, but this sport is not about making the playoffs. It's about winning the entire damn thing, and Kubiak isn't going to be the head coach of ANY team that's going to do that in the near future. Making the playoffs with him as the coach is fools gold. The winning culture and passion are lacking from this group.

A new coach should not take 3 years of rebuilding with the talent we have, but if that's what it takes, I'll put up with it.

17. msn

msn Member

Nah, you're right. Let's go 7-9 and 8-8 the next three years instead, with no hope of anything ever changing.

yes.

Well, no one is asking to scrap all 55 players on the roster. Let's do see what a new DC and a new HC can do with all this talent. I completely atgree.

...in which you almost advocated replacing him. :grin:

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

There really is no case for keeping Kubiak but I have a sinking feeling that he won't get canned because of the impending lockout. Frank Bush, however, looks like a goner for sure and maybe even Rick Smith.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

He's lost this team...he has to be fired...if not, fire the damn def. coord.

20. msn

msn Member

Really? Unless your standard for "starters for other teams" is pro-bowler...

Antonio Smith
    Demeco Freaking Ryans
    Brian Cushing

Those three would start for pretty much any team, IMO.

For the rest of the lot, there a quite a few average guys that would perform a lot better under coaching that actually has a clue. I'm sorry, but outside of the horrific draft choice of KJackson, there isn't a Petey Faggins to point your finger at and scream, "really?????"