1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for keeping Kubiak

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bandwagoner, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

This is a great thread. It really is.

The case for keeping Kubiak: you don't care about winning.

End of story.

2. Raven

Raven Member

The case for keeping Kubiak:

There isn't one unless you're a Peyton Manning fan.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Defense. Dead last.

Special teams far below average.

Offense. 10th points per game. 12th total yards.

If you do not have the worst defense in the NFL no one would care about the offense.

4. Major

Major Member

A head coach, by definition, is responsible for both sides of the ball. As was mentioned earlier, if he only wants responsibility for the offense, he should be the Offensive Coordinator.

But he selected the defensive coordinator and ST coaches, and he drafted or picked all the players on the team. That's part of the job description of head coach.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont care how good the offense is, it can be better without Kubiak and that is the bottom line. Play calling and clock management have been horrible all season long. They are getting by due to talent, not coaching. He is holding them back.

Anyone who doesn't think he should be fired at this point is CLUELESS

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Are we going to have this kind of topic everytime the Texans lose? :eek:

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

A GM is responsible for the talent. Our talent on defense is horrible. the coaching on defense is horrible.

8. Major

Major Member

In some cases, yes. But from my understanding, Kubiak (a) picked the GM and (b) bascially acts as GM in terms of personnel decisions. That's not the case on all teams, but it is with the Texans.

9. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

If we could keep Kubiak as an OC that would be awesome.

But there is a domino effect. Frank Bush is responsible for putting the right players on the field at the right time and using their talents to their strength. It is the GM's job to find talent that would give the team the best chance to win. Finally it is up to the OWNER to provide the financial needs to pay for talented players.

I believe the blame should be on McNair and Rick Smith for the crappy defensive roster they have tried to assemble. A coach can do only so much with the employees they are provided. Other than Williams and maybe Cushing, the talent that is on our defense is absolutely horrible. And it seems for every draft we are drafting defensive players but yet we still suck.

To fix the team I would start with a new defensive coordinator instead of firing Kubiak first, even though it might not make much of a difference because we do not even have much talent. I wish there was a was to have both Cower and Kubiak but I know its a pipe dream (Just like a Adelman offense and JVG defense).

Or we could just fire everyone and give Tony Dungy control over everything just like how Holmegren has control of Cleveland.

10. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

This isn't just about this year, it's a culmination of his poor game management throughout his five years here. Those same errors existed when his defense wasn't historically awful. Sure he never had a good defense, but this is his second defensive coordinator. He is the one who brought Bush in and he's made a lot of personnel decisions on defense. Ultimately it all falls on him.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Agree with the overall post, but the bolded part, I see it 2 ways. As you said, yes we can win with our offense and it is better than our defense, but on the other hand, this so called "potent" and "high powered" offense as we like to say, shouldn't be getting 'shut out' half the game should it? Not exactly shut out but in most instances, only 3 or 7 points in a given half?

Game 1: Up 13-10 vs. Indy. ---13 points first half, 21 points in second half

Game 2: Down 20-7 @ Washington ---7 points in first half, 23 points in second half

Game 3: Down 10-3 vs. Dallas ---3 points in first half, 10 points in second half

Game 4: Tied 14-14 @ Oakland --- 14 points in the first half, 17 in the second half

Game 5: Down 24-3 vs. NY Giants --- 3 points in first half, 7 points in second half

Game 6: Down 14-7 vs. Kansas City --- 7 points in first half, 28 points in second half

Game 7: Down 17-3 @ Indy --- 3 points in first half, 14 points in second half

Game 8: Up 20-14 vs. San Diego --- 20 points in the first half, 3 points in the second half

Game 9: Down 17-3 @ Jacksonville --- 3 points in the first half, 21 points in the second half

Game 10: Down 13-7 @ NY Jets --- 7 points in first half, 20 points in second half

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Kubiak has probably cost this team 2 wins this year just by his overall dumbness.

I am baffled as to how the Texans have a worse record than some other teams right now.

Redskins have a better record, the same team that got whooped by Philly last week.

Jags have a better record, the same team that looked pathetic on offense for the first few games of the year.

Seattle has a better record than the Texans

the Rams have the same record as the Texans

Oakland has a better record, san diego has a better record, the chiefs as well.

Baffled.

The entire coaching staff needs to be gone, the Texans have a bunch of talent.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you must have some relation to kubiak that you're failing to mention to us.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And Gary Kubiak is the guy RESPONSIBLE for bringing the GM and defensive coaches INTO Houston. Please tell me (for my OWN sanity) that you're playing devil's advocate, and you don't actually BELIEVE what you're typing. Either that, or tell us that your name is Casey H. Kubiak.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I cannot believe we have only led at halftime TWICE this season. Just add that to list of reasons why Kubiak NEEDS to go. He NEVER has this team ready to play from kick-off, and I don't understand why.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

C'mon man. Everybody knows that Kubiak has the biggest say in personnel decisions. Smith is basically there just to negotiate contracts. Kubiak's fingerprints are all over this team. He picked the players, he picked the GM, he picked the coaching staff. Kubiak was just given way too much power within the organization.

But even past that, he's just not a good head coach. Some guys are only cut out to be coordinators. Kubiak is one of those guys.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

This team's defensive talent is overrated; on the offense, it is probably underrated. This team lacks strong leadership. It seems obvious. I would clean house from the GM on down including the entire coaching staff. McNair needs to assemble a group of NFL experts to consult on solving the team problems and selecting new leadership because he doesn't apparently have a clue as what to do. He keeps picking the wrong people.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What? :confused:
    Offense and defensive duties aside he looks completely lost at times and does a piss-poor job at micromanaging the clock as well as deciding when to go for it and when not to go for it, all whilst taking account for the flow of the game...

Only reason why we've even won four games right now is because his bad calls have luckily turned in our favor.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

dude basically forgot we had a timeout. i would appreciate it if anyone can fill me in on his excuse on that blunder..

cant win within the division - check
    cant effectively manage timeouts, 2 min drill, and challenges - check
    plays it conservative instead of going for the jugular - check

can the man already

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The GM was Kubiak's hand-picked choice. Kubiak is in charge of the GM. Do you actually believe Kubiak works for Rick Smith? If so, come back to earth. Kubes has the final decision on personnel matters.

This is Kubiak's 5th season. For you to give him a free pass on defense is so convoluted I won't even call it logic. It's a joke.

Serious questions for you: What record do you think the Texans will finish with? How many more games would they need to lose to change your mind about whether Kubiak should stay? Please give specific number. Would you bring him back if they finish 6-10?

Not to mention some of his bone-headed in-game decisions. It is so obvious he belongs as a coordinator it isn't funny. Some people just aren't meant to be the top guy.