1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for doing nothing this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 28, 2013.

1. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

LOL, 20/15/3 on 60% didn't take them anywhere?

You're obviously blinded by hate.

#BeWell friend.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If there is anything I'm certain of, it's that Morey will never let an off-season go by in which he 'does nothing'.

3. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

By this logic, Jordan being injured won the Rockets back to backs.

... I know you don't agree with that statement. Do you?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That makes no sense. Orlando barely beat Boston to advance. If Boston had KG, it would not have even been close. Rockets never even played against Jordan.

Don't be a kid here man. Geez.

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Then went on to beat Lebron's Cavs.

6. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Morey wants Howard. Everything is geared to luring Dwight here. If Howard wants to come to the Rockets then that is who our next Superstar is.

Alas though Howard will be a Laker. He will not leave 30 million dollars on the table. This is his last max contract he will get. The Lakers are maybe the most storied and desirable team for any star to play. His endorsements he will receive will be multiple sizes more than he would get for just having the Lakers name on his jersey. He loves the limelight he receives in LA.

Morey did say that he will not be looking at positions though. There is really only one superstar going to be available this next FA and that is Howard. After Howard disappoints Morey and re-signs with the Lakers he is going to start looking to make a trade with a team that has the great FA the next year. He is already gathering assets to make a trade even now just in case.

I don't think Josh Smith is coming to Houston. I think he is the best PF coming this next year and an awesome addition but I believe he will go to Dallas. Morey wants a stunner of a Superstar to come and shock the league. Josh fails this test.

Who is coming out the following year that Morey can make a trade for after this summer that would fit this bill? Many great ones coming out and the teams will want to receive something before they lose their Superstar. Of course the answer is Lebron but Lebron is not leaving his nice set up he has. He would be the blockbuster though if he were to pull that off.

So what other Superstar is Morey going to target when Howard breaks his heart?

7. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Would we be able to sign Lebron in 2014 if we don't do anything this summer? Imagine out fast paced offensive system, with Lebron playing at the 4... one can only dream.

8. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

If Lebron even expressed a slight interest you would make it happen.

Lebron would be playing the SF spot. That is Parsons spot BTW.

Dream on for sure. Harden and Lebron. Be the stunner of a trade. Morey and Alexander would become a legend. Of course Lebron could never even consider Houston. Dream on.

So who will he go after?

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm fine doing nothing this summer. We've got four high-upside PFs to develop in DMo, TRob, Jones, and Greg Smith. I'm assuming Howard and Paul stay in LA. And Bynum has a degenerative knee condition. Why over-pay Josh Smith when we've got to find out what kind of talent we have at the 4 anyway? Why not keep cap flexibility for:

Paul George
    Carmelo
    Granger
    Lebron
    Rudy Gay
    Larry Sanders
    Gasol
    Cousins
    Monroe
    Varejao
    Favors
    Bosh
    Deng
    Wade
    Bledsoe
    Vasquez
    Wall

10. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

^^^rudy gay lol no

11. Thoac

Thoac Member

From my aspect, I'd agree with the topic starter's opinion.
    We are pretty young team, youngest in the league, and even with this "brand new" roster we are in a fight for PO spot, and in the top of it, we are in a good financial situation.

Even is the starting 5 we have now DMo, who showed promising moves against MIL. Who knows, what he's going to reach, and still we have prospects, like Robinson, Jones.

Except Harden, our players have almost no PO experience, so even with signing an all-star level player, we would not turn immediately to contender status.
    This core need time for chemistry, and I prefer also "one step at a time" policy.
    First perhaps we need to figure out, how to seal games like WAS, MIL, than we would see, what is the next puzzle needed.
    Example: Why to give up f.e: on DMo vs Gasol, if we do not know, where he could be in a year, what can we expect from him. Same for Robinson and Jones.

In fact, IF !!!! we reach PO, than I would not be disappointed, if we would just keep this roster together as it is now.
    ( Of course we might release Garcia and Honeycutt, and cold try to get some smaller puzzles instead of them, but no further moves.)

I was able to wait years for the first titles, so now a year or two does not really matter to me. If I could see a permanent progress, than it is fine with me to wait one more year to get the second franchise player.

12. kastuul

kastuul Member

I don't think Lebron will leaves Miami.
    If so, he want a big contract with big market, then the Lakers will be the best option for him.

Josh Smith, I don't think he worth the max.,

Houston already has a superstar, they should be more picky to add 1 more if they want champion.

If Morey can't get DH12, I am OK to wait 1 more year.

13. kastuul

kastuul Member

Seriously, every NBA team should learn from the mistake of New York Knicks.

They sign 2 stars, Melo and Amare, within 1 year but they can't play together.

1 person likes this.
  14. dxdx

dxdx Member

Need a legit PF; Rockets definitely have difficulties making the playoffs without someone who can step up consistently. Dmo, TRob and Tjones are far still too raw and inexperienced, while smallball with delfino doesn't cut it all the time.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

first of all, this one nearly killed me :grin: poor Detlef Shrimp

secondly, i don't see why this team wouldn't be a contender with Howard, assuming he's reasonably healthy.

16. 713

713 Member

Rockets should give Iggy the max. Guy can play both ends.

17. PRaZe

PRaZe Member

Lol what?! I rather have Parson play SF and Lebron play PF...

18. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Yeah contending for playoff spot at the best

19. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Can't hit a jumpshot to save his life

20. teebone21

teebone21 Member

He is allstar level scorer