1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 17, 2015.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think you have a point, but some of that is the defense preparing all week for a particular QBs tendencies and then taking away what they are comfortable with.

But yeah, I think OB and Godsey think too much of their QBs and try to load them up like they probably got used to with Tom Brady. Hoyer may be capable of understanding in practice and in the film room but executing on gameday is a different story.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Top in-season additions by the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> in order.
    5. Brandon Dunn
    4. Nick Novak
    3. Charles James II
    2. Yates/Weeden
    1. Brian Peters</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/679342738093924352">December 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Nate Washington on BoB

“I told coach O’Brien in 11 years I’ve never seen a coaching staff put their stamp on a team like they have this one,” Washington said. “When a guy goes down here, it’s not like, ‘Ok, you know our scheme, so you’ve got to go in and do what the guy in front of you was doing.’

“They don’t do that here. They find out what the next guy up does best. They put him in position to be successful.”

Washington wasn’t talking exclusively about quarterbacks, either. He meant players at all positions.

“All I knew until I got here was if the guy in front of you went down, you were supposed to fit the system, just as that guy that went down did,” he said. “Here, though, the next guy might not do something well, so they won’t ask him to do it. They’ll see what he does well and give him an opportunity to do it.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

BOB makes dumb desicions aka Novak from 57 last week.

But he seems to have caught the players attention from the stand point of running a team.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He also makes pretty awful decisions when it comes to personnel such as bringing in Hoyer and Mallett and vouching for them. He's good at other aspects of football, but he shouldn't get a say in what players are brought in, especially at the QB position.

7. Mr. Clutch

He's really good at getting his friends to leak stuff for him.

8. Mr. Clutch

Unfortunately it looks like he'll get more power in this area.

Even though he supposedly already had final roster say.

He's basically winning with Kubiak's guys right now.

9. dmoneybangbang

Meh. It depends on your expectations, if you thought Hoyer was brought in because they thought he was elite then I understand your thinking. Mallet wasn't signed to a large contact, he was given a shot and wasn't mature enough.

It seems the Texans, save a franchise changer type of qb, just want someone good enough to make the Texans respectable/low end playoff team that can do damage if they get hot.

10. Mr. Clutch

I'm not sure why he brought in Hoyer and Mallet if he didn't think highly of them.

When BOB signed, McNair was pretty adamant it wasn't rebuilding. So maybe they just didn't want a rookie because that would be rebuilding.

But none of the guys they brought in can really lead a winning team, and they passed up on some good rookies.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Carr is the only one they truly passed up on that has an obviously bright future... Nobody knows what Jimmy G really is, and if they're still all that high on him, I'm sure the Patriots will take the 2nd round pick they would have had to use on him anyways in a trade.

Hoyer has never been described as anything but place-holders... whatever comes out of McNair and BOB's mouth is typically semantics. Mallet was a lottery-ticket... if his head ever matched his arm (which it won't), he was a risk worth taking (and I use "risk" pretty loosely, since he didn't really cost anything).

While the Texans haven't found their guy yet... are they really all that set-back as a franchise? They're not all that far behind most of the conference/league. And at this point, even if they pick the "wrong" guy, this staff has shown its ability to be able to cope with QB's that don't work out and need to be shuffled in/out from game to game... something a lot of teams have shown to struggle with.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Hoyer and Mallett were brought in because they were thought to be competent starting QB's in the NFL then there's a problem. Mallett didn't show up on time and Hoyer is terrible at football.

If BOB thinks that it is acceptable to go into the season with the QB position in that state, he shouldn't have any say and I don't think that McNair is going to put up with it ever again.

13. Mr. Clutch

BOB is a poor judge of talent.

It's not just the QB, look at:

TE
    WR
    RB

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Would anyone want to take a flyer on Murray and Kapernickleback?

15. Mr. Clutch

Murray yes. Kaep as a backup

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Assuming they win on Sunday, the Houston Texans will be 1 of 6 teams to have a winning record in 4 of the past 5 seasons

New England, Cincinnati, Green Bay, Seattle, and Denver are the other 5.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

#FireRickSmith

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I hate to be the national pundit radio/tv/analyst guy that states the obvious... but... division.

If they win, then their record against the division those years will be 4-2,5-1,4-2,5-1

That helps one cause.

Win or lose, they'll also have a non-losing record in 7 of the last 9 seasons. They're a slightly below average franchise for the past decade playing in a generally way below average or extremely top-heavy division, which elevates the team to average.

It is what it is. Can't do too much in the NFL without a premiere signal caller, with rare exception, so it is what is is.

19. Mr. Clutch

They've been a contender one year, two if generous

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

In my opinion, O' Brian/Texans can now focus on speed on both sides of the ball along with getting a QB and RB. Couple of offensive Lineman as well. Maybe one more hard hitting thumper of a safety next year. They're plugging up the holes. The KC game, Indy first game Foster came back and even the Panthers were all winnable games this year. They didn't miss the mark much "in spite of" not having a solid QB all year long and now they're about to get into the playoffs. I wrote this team off. I didn't think they had a chance to turn this season around.

This offseason free agency and NFL draft should hopefully be a solid one..we shall see. Giants had a lousy record practically the same as the Texans and beat the Patriots in the super bowl. NFC division was lousy that year as well. Obviously, we can't compare the texans to the Giants that year but the point is IF they make the right moves O'Brian might turn out to be a solid coach..especially if he can minimize some of the goofy calls that leaves us scratching our heads sometimes..but then again, look across the league and most coaches have the same tendency

Maybe the Rockets coaching staff can learn a thing or two from Billy O