1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 17, 2015.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

More BS from you. What's your measure, every draft pick has to be an All Pro?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

For starters, not giving up six picks. An all pro or two would be nice. But really having several guys who can be above average starters.

CJ, Strong, and Blue are not that.

What is your measure? If he doesn't get cut he's a good pick?

3. ipaman

I told you my measure, you try and draft nfl players and we have for the most part while at the same time find a gem or two which we haven't done. But that's why I called them good not great drafts.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that you are overstating the number of "franchise" QBs. I guess we could argue over the definition of the word franchise. But let's not and said we did.

I think that we can agree that the Texans *at best* have a QB that they are happy to roll with. The *at best* stop working when Arian Foster got injured.

Getting back to the original argument ... Fans are not happy with the Texans. The product on the field is crap. The Texans needed a QB to carry the offense, once Foster went down. The Texans do not have this QB on their roster.

Fans want to blame OBie for not finding a better QB. Better QBs are hard to find. Very few above average QB ever make it to FA. Finding QB in the draft is also very hard.

Guessing here but ... 1 out of 3 cant-miss QB actually get drafted and make it. Wasting a first round pick on a QB that you are not sure on can be a Career Limiting Move for head coaches. You can easily see why HCs would draft more of a sure thing, than say a QB, in the first round.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Fair enough. I think we got a couple good guys in there. My issue is mainly how many picks they wasted trading up.

And now we have depth issues

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If Johnson and McKinney keep improving the way they have, the 2015 class may prove to be one of the better drafts we've had in a while (not saying much considering the 2013 abortion and still trying to feel out the 2014). Strong, Mumphery, and Covington have also shown flashes which is nice.

7. ipaman

That's exactly what I'm saying. Drafts have been decent we just haven't hit any homeruns which is a concern because other FOs are hitting homeruns. I think there is some luck involved but there has to be "a little" science hitting a homerun.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think it's the opposite. They're getting one or two homeruns (mostly in the first) but then a bunch of strike-outs. Nix, Swearinger, Montgomery, Tervardo, Hilliard, Strong (since they refuse to play him), Posey, Martin, Bullock, etc. That's a lot of strike-outs in four drafts.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep... exactly.

Even just an "average" haul from round 2-4 over the years would put this franchise in a remarkably different place... when you completely miss as much as they have, regardless of where they were drafting, its going to put you in franchise limbo no matter how great your core players are.

10. ipaman

This is a BOB thread so I'm only considering the 2 most recent drafts. We're not debating Smith here.

11. Major

Major Member

So that gets back to my point. You're suggesting the way to keep your job is just to not try to get a QB, because if you take a risk and fail, you might look bad. That's a terrible way to run a franchise - makes sense for a coach that's not confident in himself, but it should be unacceptable to management.

You said 2/3rds of teams are looking for a franchise QB. That's about 21 teams. Here are 15 that are definitively NOT looking for new QB at this time: NE, GB, NYG, CIN, BAL, IND, OAK, ATL, DAL, NO, PIT, SD, CAR, ARI, SEA. That doesn't include teams like JAX, TEN, TB, and MIN that are hoping their guys are franchise QBs. That's 19 teams right there that I would suggest have a franchise or hope-to-be franchise QBs.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, you're saying the Texans are the Astros of the NFL?:grin:

But the Astros don't work in the NFL?

I got you....

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I thought we agreed to not debate this, but say that we did. ;)

QB Index: Ranking the starters 1-32
    Published: Sept. 10, 2015

Class of his own

1. Aaron Rodgers

Top Shelf

2. Ben Roethlisberger
    3. Andrew Luck
    4. Tom Brady
    5. Matt Ryan
    6. Philip Rivers
    7. Drew Brees
    8. Tony Romo
    9. Russell Wilson
    10. Peyton Manning

Next Level

11. Cam Newton
    12. Joe Flacco
    13. Matthew Stafford
    14. Ryan Tannehill
    15. Eli Manning
    16. Sam Bradford
    17. Carson Palmer
    18. Teddy Bridgewater
    19. Colin Kaepernick

Stuck in the middle

20. Alex Smith
    21. Jay Cutler
    22. Andy Dalton
    23. Blake Bortles
    24. Nick Foles

The Rookies

25. Jameis Winston
    26. Marcus Mariota

Question marks

27. Derek Carr
    28. Kirk Cousins
    29. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    30. Tyrod Taylor
    31. Josh McCown
    32. Brian Hoyer

<hr />
    I think that my argument is that #1-10 are the franchise QBs.

#11-#19 are their franchise's QB. :grin: They are above average. But are they good enough to put their team on their shoulder and carry it to victory?

The gentle reader will note that #13 and #19 are now occupationally challenged.

2015 QBs ranked by rating

#33 No Worries, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

There's no need to make a case for Obrien yet.

He's going to get a 3rd year.

After that he'll be gone unless the team is playoff bound/succeeding with Hoyer

OR

OBrien and a new/young QB are rapidly progressing together

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Well, Nix, Hilliard, Strong, XSF (so far), CJF(disappointment), Blue, McKinney FINALLY had a good game, Mumphrey (snore), and Hilliard (didn't even make the team).

That's a lot for just two drafts.

16. ipaman

You want to write off a draft class in half a season?!?!? Glad you're not running the show.

Do you remember JJs first 8 games. I won't look it up for you but it was rather pedestrian.

Never change CF, never change.

17. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

mumphrey is the most promising KR/PR since jacoby...

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's not saying much

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

lol

No one is writing them off. You can only judge what you see so far. The only players I mentioned from this draft are McKinney (I said he had a good game), Jaelen Strong (even the coaches don't think enough of him to make him active. Never happened to Watt), and Hilliard (got cut and cleared waivers). So far, Strong and Hilliard aren't "NFL players".

So far your 3rd round pick (who you traded up for) and your 7th round pick aren't "NFL players"

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I disagree with this in regards to last year. Foster played 13 games, produced 1200 yards on the ground, and 1500 yards total. The total passing attempts last year put the Texans in the bottom half of the league, and a near 50/50 run/pass ratio. They were reliant on the run game and it was much better than "without much".