1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Budding Friendship of Yao Ming and Steve Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 23, 2007.

1. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

[​IMG]

What happened to Cuttino's left arm?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sometimes he folds it behind his back and fools people with poor monitors into thinking it's missing. :D

3. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

he's rubbing his sprained left buttock. :D

4. pli777

pli777 Member

Gosh, people are sensitive these days.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The sweet thing is, the first day that Yao met SF3 is also the first day that Yao met Tmac! ;)

6. Dei

Dei Member

What? I don't get this statement.

Was Yao's first NBA game against Orlando?

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yes! Preseason, Rockets vs. Magic! But, I think Yao didn't play, just watched.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have not been able to stop giggling like a little girl since I read the "black biggie" thing.

9. longbow111

longbow111 Member

:D Come on, some of the guys here are oversensitive. Pryuen just want the translation to be interesting, so he use the word "black big***" instead of the plain and straight " black big(body) guy". As a Chinese, I actually know there is no negative(or racist) meaning in Chinese of the original words in the YANYI article. I think this word is not like the "N****" or "chinaman" words which have a history behind them. Am I right?

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

well he should have translated it into big black man which is technically more correct instead of black biggie..

11. Adelman

Adelman Member

Some people are complete morons these days. HE IS NOT A RACIST AND MEANT NO RACISM from the words "black biggie".

He is so nice to all of us. Every single time he takes hours to translate articles for US when he doesnt even have to do so. People say thanks and stuff, but come on we should pay him or something for all his time and effort. I feel grateful to have a member like him on this forum.

He translates the stuff word for word and i dont know if people realize this but he like myself is a fob. Which means that he was not born here. (or so i presume, from his chinese level). We dont tend to understand all of the "formalities" of racism and all these stupid words that could make people think we are racist. We dont get some inside jokes because we are not accustomed to the american culture, and did not grow up with these things in our lives.

He translated it and he already apologized for any signs of racism and admitted that it was not his intention. So people to need fu.cking get off his a$$ about this racism crap. Everyone here is like a family and we all share at least one common interest: the Houston Rockets. And that alone makes us family.

So before any of you start trying to ride this nice man's a$$ again for being a "racist" and trying to report him. I seriously hope you first consider selling your children to Mark Cuban and then jumping off the top of a building.

Pruyen thank you for all the time and effort you put into making this a better fan site. Thank you for all your inside information from the chinese articles. You along with Hillicopter are 2 of my favorite people here who dedicate their time and effort to make this a top tier site.

I wouldnt be surprised if these jacka$$s and their comments discourage you from translating for us again. So I as a member of this forum apologize for their inconsideration. Please continue to keep up the good work.

-Adelman

12. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Thanks coach. I like your direct approach, unlike the previous one who always resorted to sarcastism.

13. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Wow, I don't know how some of you people make it through the day living in the US with this ultra thin skin. A person's using color as part of a description of a person isn't racist. It's just an adjective.

How many people have heard terms like "Black and proud"? Is that racist? I guess Run DMC, Public Enemy etc are all RACISTS because they used color as a description of race.

How many of you have heard sports references to "White Chocolate" or "Great White Hope"? All offensive?

To this day, if you ask any of my "African American" friends what race they are or what color they are... 99% of the time, they are going to say "I'm black."

While I definitely don't think the articles author used "Black" to refer to Larry Smith as a great warrior as some people have alluded to on the board, I do think they mentioned it subtly as a suggestion that maybe race had something to do with Yao's diminishing playing time during the Larry Smith era.

Is it that far fetched to believe that Larry Smith might have resented the fact that Yao was an Asian big man getting all this hype in the NBA? Could it have been possible that Larry Smith favored Kelvin Cato- who was also Black (omg- I said Black so label me a racist) and who had a similar playing style such as himself- mostly hitting the boards and blocks with little scoring? It's no secret that there was alot of resentment towards Yao by plenty of Black athletes and journalists... especially early on in the day. Maybe the writer was pointing out that race might have been a factor in Yao's benching by Smith. Not really hard to believe in my opinion.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Damn straight. Pyruen is a very well respected and extremly valued member here. i appreciate all the Articles he posts here about our franchise center.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thanks for the translation. No apology needed.

There is no question Larry Smith cost us the playoffs that year. He was awful. I didn't realize until now just how much he destroyed team morale.

17. Fuse

Fuse Member

It goes south from there. Try dwelling around some of the midwestern states and you will be shocked at some of the ignorance that still exists.