1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Budding Friendship of Yao Ming and Steve Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 23, 2007.

1. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

"Sometimes you gotta look yourself in the mirror and say, When in Rome." - Ron Burgandy.

2. Possum

Possum Member

His mother, Fang Fengdi, who had arrived Houston earlier than him, walked up to him, embraced him with her forehead touching his Adam’s apple…

WOW!!! Mings mom is bigger than Francis or Mobley!!! :eek:

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

People have laughs at movie titles getting lost in translation, and then all of a sudden everyone decides to take this seriously?

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

We already had those threads back then... and it's true. He basically WAS the reason we missed the playoffs.

To this day, I fully believe we would have made it had Rudy still been able to finish the season as coach.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To clarify my thoughts:

There are different kinds of racism. I'm not saying people in China are racist as in they favor genocide against certain ethnic groups, but rather that a good number of them hold certain stereotypes of black people (mostly out of ignorance).

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What the hell did you expect with the teams we had over those REBULDING years? Francis, Cat and Yao were the only good players from that era.

8. jackfan

jackfan Contributing Member

Of course people in China hold stereotypes of foreigners, Americans do the same thing.

9. underoverup

underoverup Member

lol, i bet pryuen wishes he had left a couple words out of that translation.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Maybe those who laughed at movie titles (among others) getting lost in translation are not the same ones who took things seriously?

Some words are themselves offensive (1). Some become offensive if combined in expressions with other words, especially when you consider their etymologies (2) or the context in which they are used (3).

In the case of this phrase "black biggie", none of the 3 aforementioned is applicable when one reads the original article. The newly found offense by some viewers here is strictly due to the cultural misunderstanding, which, hopefully by now, should dissipate with proper explanations.

Maybe one thing pryuen can do in future translations is to put his personal notes in [ ] next to "controversial" text to explain why it is so translated in anticipation of possible uproars. But such process is surely time consuming and cumbersome. Moreover, it'd be impossible for pryuen to know in advance what parts of the article, if translated literally, may piss people off. If I were to give advice to pryuen, I'd say focus your time and effort on faithful translation and worry about political correctness and cultural sensitivity later. We'll always be here to defend you should the occasion arise.

11. zong

zong Member

Nothing is new except Cat was suspended for the four games.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

That's true. Although I'd wager most here who took it seriously probably had a good laugh at a 'lost in translation' joke.

This kind of ties into my example. For the sake of the joke you take the literal translation seriously, although in reality you know no one actually interprets it that way. (Although according to this thread it looks like I might be wrong...) But now we have a translation by a Chinese first-language speaker of a lengthy sports article and suddenly people have no leeway in losing things in translation.

13. abundance

abundance Member

Maybe Yao forgot the exact number, but Mobley missed only two games when he was last in Houston and it was for a shoulder injury.

14. Fuse

Fuse Member

Except most Americans do so in a condescending manner.

15. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Like saying all asians are good at math or are bad drivers?

16. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Larry Smith had the face like he was the toughest b*stard on the planet. He played that way too. But when he spokes he sounded like Ward Cleaver. He was on pace to get an NBA head coaching gig. What happened to him?

17. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

FOB Store Owner: "I feel sorry for your mother."

O.D.: "....What the f*** you say about my mama?!"

/Store Owner's life

weeeeee culture clash is so much fun!

18. Possum

Possum Member

Someone please explain when saying the word black makes you a racist. :confused: :confused: So if I say hey a big black guy was looking for you earlier, that is a racist statement? :confused:

19. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

The article says nothing about suspensions; JVG benched Cat for four games, meaning he either did not play entirely or played very limited minutes for four games. The setting is during the preseason, so I'm assuming Cat was in the doghouse for four games during the preseason; that is my interpretation.

Apparently JVG offered "strained left buttock" as the reason for this, a euphamism for "His buttock must be strained because I just dealt him a kick in the pants for his comments"

20. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Looks like the end of the 02-03 season with the Rockets is what happened to him.