1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Budding Friendship of Yao Ming and Steve Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Nice article. New tidbit of francis and mobley trying to oust JVG penny hardaway style.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

lol..i laughed out loud when i read that

is there a white biggie? i only know one biggie and he is black

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Great read. I wish there were more reporting on what goes on off the basketball courts and inside the locker room. I liked the part where Steve stood up for Yao and his teammates and the part about the 3 of them getting rid of JVG was hilarious.

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It was canceled, but due to high demand it's been brought back and renewed for another season:

[​IMG]

5. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Their plan only took a few years to come to fruition. :D

6. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

The original phrase in the article was 黑大个儿拉里·史密斯担任临时教练。

And 黑大个儿 just literally mean some one big and black.....and I just string the 2 together as a black biggie.

Well, if I had messed this up by that translation, then I apologize cos I did not know black biggie could be offensive or derogatory to some other posters here. All I want to do at the time of my translation was to get the d@mn long article translated, posted it here to share with you all.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is fiction. If Larry Smith yelled at Yao and Francis they would both be crying or wetting themselves. Nobody is going to step up to Mr Mean...

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe this article is genuine.

Nice to see a more mature Steve Francis....

DD

9. abundance

abundance Member

It says that he was benched for 4 games, but Cuttino played in 80 games and started all 80 games that season. This reporter seems to be embellishing. ;)

10. Rover16

Rover16 Member

That larry smith story was reported years back when it happened. It's nothing new.

11. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Did you include the 8 preseason games ? In the article, it was mentioned it was during the preseason that Cuttino Mobley said he missed Rudy T, and was then benched for 4 consecutive games.

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

LOL Well makes ya wonder if it was translated verbatim but since Pruyen has been doing this for years..I have no reason to suspect that it was not translated exactly was it was posted. However, perhaps Pruyen could have left that part out for the sensativties of the audience here.

13. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

truthfully, it is not racist. some people are overly sensitive and will call anything that mentions a person's color or race a racist remark. it's a stupid attitude.

14. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

It really has no offensive meaning in Chinese. We may even call a Chinese with dark skin the same way.

15. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I know it's not racist but Chinese have a way with their language of posting about all foreigners according to their color. It's funny in a way..and sort of xenophobic too. Like he could have referred to Boston Nachbar as the Big White Ghost too. Which would also have been lost in translation but isn't all that bad. Not that good either but not that terribly bad.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Journalism and that's what this article is, it should be taken with a grain of salt.The very same article could have been written from an opposite point of view and given the reader a completely different feeling
    So I urge others not to be blindfolded by this article but to have an open mind about its subject.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

:eek: The description wasn't exactly PC but it also wasn't malicious. It also didn't have any history of use in a derogatory manner (unlike the world "Chinaman" which some of poster here actually deemed appropriate). The words 黑大个儿, 大个儿 just means big person and is commonly used. Now the fact that the author put a black infront of it just mean he didn't grow up in a colorblind society (or a society that tries to convince itself that it's color blind).

18. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

and...I'm BATMAN

19. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

I think they were joking, make fun of it.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

True, this term really isn't racist. Still, there is a lot of racial bias against black people in among the Chinese.

BTW, I believe that some Chinese reporter once described Greg Ostertag as "White Fatty" so take it for what its worth.