1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Brett Wallace era begins SUNDAY

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jul 30, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Stephen_Goff Source: The Astros intend to purchase the contract of slugger Brett Wallace from Triple-A to replace Berkman on the active roster.

Stephen_Goff Wallace is expected to be in uniform on Sunday.

2. Apps

Apps Member

Interesting. I hope he has a solid outing, and a solid career.

3. DontTradeOswalt

Take that Cardinals!!!!

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I wasn't as high as some people about Wallace but I'm still excited to see this move.

5. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Always nice to see young players on a drowned season. Least the 'Stros have been watchable lately.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So I was reading he has been shuffled around to four different teams before he has even appeared in a major league game. I would imagine he is pretty excited right now.

#6 Surfguy, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  7. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Statistically speaking: After posting OBP's in college of .439, .500 and .526, the thinking was that Wallace would be an on-base machine. His .427 OBP during his debut summer was a good start, but his walk rate dropped in his first full year, leading to a combined 2009 OBP of .367. He had a walk percentage of 10.0 in Class A during his debut, but in his two Triple-A stops in 2009, that fell to 7.1 and 6.3 percent, respectively.
    Scouting report: Wallace's best tool is his bat, and it's almost ready for the big leagues. He's got good bat speed and good plate discipline, allowing him to hit for average and power in the future. He wasn't bad at third, where he worked hard and showed good hands and an above-average arm. But his limited range has the Blue Jays moving him over to first, where he should be just fine.

Upside potential: An every-day first baseman who will hit over .300 with tons of doubles and 20-plus homers annually.

They said it: "We have liked Brett Wallace for a long time, dating back to 2005 when we drafted him out of high school. We are excited to have a player with this type of power potential in our system." -- Charlie Wilson, Blue Jays director of Minor League operations

He said it: "Any time you go to a situation where you know they're trying to rebuild with youth, that's something that's exciting. They're definitely not afraid to give young guys an opportunity, and I think my job now is just to go into camp, be in shape and be ready to play. Hopefully, I make it as hard as possible for them to send me to Vegas. If they do, I'll continue to do as well as I can there, and try to put pressure on them to bring me up. Hopefully, I can get there and help that team as soon as I can."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/prospects/y2009/profile.jsp?t=p_top&pid=477165

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is actually exciting. Watching these young guys develop is a reason to go to the games.

9. vince

vince Member

Even though he's been traded several times, he's been traded for top level (ace caliber) pitchers.

I'm excited about building a new foundation for the future of the Astros.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I actually just happened to have free home plate tickets to this Sundays game that I was trying to GIVE away. Now they are mine for sure. Pretty stoke to root for our future!

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We've were spinning our wheels from 07-09, i was really growing frustrated with Drayton's crap, but the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, and he appears ready to fully embrace rebuilding, and it's happening quickly

Over the last calender year
    Out
    Lance Berkman (34)
    Roy Oswalt (32)
    Jose Valverde (32)
    Kazuo Matsui (34)
    Miguel Tejada (36)
    Ivan Rodriguez (38)
    Mike Hampton (37)
    LaTroy Hawkins (37)
    Darrin Erstad (36)

In
    J.A. Happ (27)
    Brett Wallace (23)
    Jason Castro (23)
    Felipe Paulino (26)
    Bud Norris (25)
    Chris Johnson (25)
    Tommy Manzella (27)
    Wesley Wright (25)
    Jason Bourgeois (28)
    Wilton Lopez (26)

Not saying all these guys are future All-Stars, but they got a better chance to improve than guys in their mid-30's

Plus we got a couple of good draft classes creeping their way to the majors

Now if we can just unload the dead horse in LF

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

the dead horse is unmovable at this point.

just too much of a contract for the way he's performing.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Apparently Wallace's nickname is "the Walrus." Are the little Pumas going to get Walrus costumes?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

I heard yesterday no one from the starting line up opening day (in the infield) is there anymore whether due to trade or injury or other reasons

C Towles - sent to AA
    1B Blum - hurt
    (1B Berkman - traded)
    2B Matsui - released
    3B Feliz - relegated to bench duties
    SS Manzella - Injury
    P Oswalt - traded

C Castro
    1B Wallace
    2B Keppinger
    3B Johnson
    SS Sanchez
    (LF Lee
    CF Bourn
    RF Pence)
    P Myers

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

For what it's worth, Richard Justice said Wallace would likely play (in Houston) tonight...

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

that is awesome. i was more excited watching the astros last night than i have been nearly all season. let's get this rebuilding started.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Good thing I didn't buy tix for tomorrow's game, I wanted to see the debut. I'll check him out but probably not till the next homestand.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

alysonfooter

Wallace will wear No. 29 and will start tonight's game vs. MIL. Melancon placed on 40-man and will go to Round Rock. Paredes destination

in tonight.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Interesting to see his splits against lefties are actually BETTER than his numbers against righties.

This guy is gonna be able to hit. Can he bring all the other intangibiles that make good players great (leadership, ability to take criticism, flexibility).

Get him with Baggy ASAP and let this guy's career begin.

20. CJLarson

CJLarson Member