1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Brandon Jennings European Experiment

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SamFisher, Jun 27, 2009.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I said this last year and I'll say it again, he would have been better off with a year in college - had he had a good season he would have been top 5 rather than top 10 ( a substantial difference in the rookie wage scale).

On the plus side - he made a bit of money in Europe. Not enough to be set for life (and let me say I highly doubt that he got as much money as his agent initially claimed, european contracts have a strange way of not quite being all there, ask: Nenad Krstic, Carlos Delfino, Bostjan Nachbar, Jennaro Pargo, etc)......but definitely more than he would have made at Arizona.

On the minus side - he didn't really appear to have a good time (IIRC, one of the NY Times articles about him in midseason had him call himself "a cautionary tale")

He also didn't appear to learn much maturity judging from his pretty obnoxious performance last week.

I don't think you're going to see tons of people follow in his footsteps in the near term.

2. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

I don't like the kid. I don't even want to bother wasting my time to type about him. Anyways I hope he has the worst summer league ever.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

While I don't have as much animosity towards Jennings as the poster above me, his attitude is ridiculous for a guy whose resume only goes as far as mediocre international ball. Summer league results will not matter, when he gets destroyed by NBA ball, he will shut his trap

4. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Oh, about playing European ball rather than College ball, I strongly disagree with what Jennings did. I feel like by going to College, you at least get some form of an education. The combination of a lack of financial stability in some of the overseas teams + no education + increased chance of injury + lower level of competition + being away from home and out of your element = not worth it.

6. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Wasn't his SAT score not high enough to get into college? Or something about not academically eligible?

7. sbyang

sbyang Member

He wasn't even eligible to play college BB because he kept failing tests.

8. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

top 10? Last year, right after he announced his decision, didn't you predict that after a year in europe he would be lucky to go in the top half of the draft and might go in the 2nd round?

9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

On what planet is $2.65 million for one season not enough to be set for life? Plus he has a 4 year $4 million shoe contract according to what ESPN said at the draft. "Cautionary tale" .............. :rolleyes:

10. Docsdock

Docsdock Member

I believe, another factor any American high school basketball star should consider before he flees to Europe for a year is the lack of American press coverage and American awards, (all conference, all star games, all American, etc) that he forfits. These recognitions probably helps some American college basketball players improve their standing in the NBA draft.

11. SamFisher

It was a definite possibility if he had a total meltdown and left the team - he did get thrown out of a few practices early on I believe. It was also possible that he went number 1.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Sam, as an ardent internationalist you should consider the social maturation value of touring Europe in your 18th year vs. the furious copying of teaching assistant's notes between WOW marathons and dawn practices.

I think it is a terrific alternative to the 'one and done' college experience and is a great vehicle to expand the interest in basketball worldwide.

And, if Jennings had blown out a knee he would at least have had 4 or 5 hundred grand in the bank vs. 0 if he did it at Memphis.

And the European girls, man.

I'd go to Europe for a year, myself.

13. SamFisher

I agree but Jennings didn't do much/any of that, and appeared very melancholy about his entire experience:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/s...it.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=brandon jennings&st=cse

Like i said last year, the fantasy that he was going to grab a eurail pass and go backpacking rather than hang out in his apartment with an xbox and mcdonalds was not well grounded.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

For someone that allegedly travels as much as you say Sam, what do you have against European basketball?

I have no problem with kids going over there if they can make a buck...I don't think any argument can be made as to whether he helped or hurt his draft stock.

I do think some players will do it, but if the NBDL can get more vaible, I would expect more kids to do that instead.

DD

15. SamFisher

DaDakota - do you want to evaluate your posts about European basketball from this time last year?

Because they are pretty goddamned hilarious.

"It's a trend".........lol. It sure was.....until the checks started bouncing. Then it was another trend.

16. DaDakota

Well since the economy tanked and the Euro along with it the possibility of it being a trend died.

I freely admit that....

DD

17. SamFisher

"Never existed" is a more accurate assessment.

1 person likes this.
  18. DaDakota

It seemed like a budding trend, with Childress, Del Pino, Boki, Jennings, and a few others actually using the EU as leverage.

It remains to be seen if it becomes an actual trend or as you are saying never was one....

I would think that the way it is looking certainly favors your viewpoint....

I think the one and done rule is bad for the NCAA though, and it may be that the NBDL becomes a better option and an actual minor league...ala baseball....that, IMO would be the best for the game.

DD

19. SamFisher

Considering that half of the (mostly fringe) players you named came running back home in under 12 months I don't see it as a trend. I also don't see Marc Gasol or Rudy fernandez heading back, do I?

20. DaDakota

Nope....the Euro dropped, fortunes were lost and they stopped spending big salaries.

At least for now...

But hey, maybe Artest goes over there.

DD