1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Birdman = Rodman 2.0?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by StaticC4, May 13, 2009.

1. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/top/blog...t=Arrb9X1IXSzWe4qORWe0zkrqbwM6?urn=top,163144
    Lock if already posted.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

can he cross-dress?

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When he averages 18 rebounds in season, we can talk about Rodman 2.0.

4. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Rodman averaged close to 20 ppg for the Pistons, dominated rebounds for years, and was able to play top D against the likes of Malone. Andersen right now is just an good shot blocker.

More like Rodman Beta.

5. aghast

aghast Member

Add to that, Rodman was undersized, didn't have anything close to Birdman's vertical, and wasn't that great of a shotblocker. About the only things they have/had in common are undeveloped offensive games and substance abuse flare-ups (though Rodman's, to my knowledge, were legal).

Love(d) watching both of them play, though.

6. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Madonna doesn't agree.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

these sensationalistic comparisons to past legends is getting ridiculous. if the only metric is flamboyance, sure he's the next rodman. as far as actual basketball qualities, he's as much rodman as aaron brooks is kevin johnson.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Birdman is more comparable to Andris Biedrins who might be slightly better on defense, but not quite as good on offense.

The two players in the league who has a partial Rodman in their game are both on the Rockets. Although, both are not fantastic rebounders...both are very athletic and are more than capable of guarding bigs and overpowering players more so than Rodman. One of the players in might even (used to)be as nutty as DR.

9. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I'm not sure in which alternative universe did this happen. He only averaged above 10 ppg for one season his whole career at 11 ppg.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hell, he looks like he was the byproduct of cross-pollination...

11. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Not at all. Last time I checked, Rodman was a versatile defender not just a complete shot blocker and rebounder.

I remember when Rodman played for the Bulls and the Pistons, he was capable of guarding the point guard position to the center position. Can the Birdman do that? Heck no, those quicker guys would be eating that bird for lunch.

I would compare Chris Andersen a lot to Carl Landry and Jason Maxiell to be honest. ;)

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i was going to say at least they didnt compare him to a white guy. because that ALWAYS happens. only black players remind people of other black players, same with white guys.

and yeah then the very next freaking post :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. AXG

AXG Member

Rodman never averaged 20 ppg, his career average was between 7-8 ppg.

14. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Haaa? Where do you get your statistics?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rodmade01.html

His best season with Detroit was 11.6 PPG. He didn't really "dominate" in rebounding until the last few years with Detroit.

Rodman was also apparently not as good of a shot blocker as Anderson is right now. He never averaged 1.0 BPG, always less.

In other words, Anderson and Rodman are different players and should not be compared.

15. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

It's stupid to compare statistics with these two guys as they are obviously very different. I think the author was trying to say that their personalities and image on the court is near equivalent - crazy, wild, and all-out hustle.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think people are taking the comparison too literally. In terms of energy and excitement he brings when he gets on the floor, his impact on the defensive end, and the way he gets the home crowd excited, he definitely reminds me of Rodman in his Piston glory years.

17. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Yeah, total brain fart... wasn't able to edit my post :(