1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Big 4 (The Good News)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PWR, Feb 14, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I’m tired of watching this team play centerless. I’m not blaming anyone. We just miss Clint out there and it’s obvious.

2. PWR

PWR Member

Exactly.
    In games without Steph, they are 5-6. They stink once he is gone.

D-rock, Remlap and hakeem94 like this.
  3. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Think the 95 championship season. We were a totally different team at the end of the year than what we started with in the beginning and we were 6th in the west with the prospect of facing Seattle Phoenix San Antonio at the height of their powers we end up facing Utah Phoenix and San Antonio and then beat Orlando we were not favored in any of the series and no home court advantage in the entire playoffs. The only thing that matters is we have a complete ready to go squad (1-12) that has average chemistry and Healthy going into the playoffs

D-rock and Smacktle like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you watch in 95?

Most frusturating regular season ever...

But we had a switch and got hot at the right time.

Smacktle likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, but I think it is pretty obvious that we need a jolt too.

Either Mike D’Antoni needs to start tinkering with different lineups (Shump/House starting), or we need Keef to get signed and bring some nasty at PF for us. It might take both.

I for one am incredibly tired of getting beat up down low. PJ Tucker does a phenomenal job at both forward positions, but he needs help. Either start a bigger SF, or move Tuck to SF and start Keef ASAP.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  6. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

last year, Houston can best opponents with 30 points. This year, we cannot see it. It is due to small forward and defence problems. We need a small forward with Ariza's height.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So, is this going to fix their 3rd quarter blues where they seem to ALWAYS come out with zero energy or effort?

connorg3 likes this.
  8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

We had a way better winning percentage last year with just Chris Paul and Luc Mbah a Moute.

13-7 when you're fully stacked is not the record of a championship team.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Could some of this "13-7" record be a bi-product of us getting through those experimental Melo, MCW, and Ennis games?

I'm not trying to make anymore excuses for these guys, than we've already made. We just need to look at the full picture before making assessments of this small piece of data, especially since they're still not 100% while adding one more piece to that mix.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

D'Antoni is a big picture guy. He just refuses to actually coach. The other team's on a 25-4 run? Let our guys work it out. They'll hit a couple threes. Oops, guess not.

I never have understood Morey's (and Dan Tony's?) propensity for smallish players. 6'5" PF and 6'8" center, etcetera.

11. smokieethabear

Idk, but I think I want some! =)

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Ez iz. Don't be a buzz kill

Smacktle and izeroi like this.
  13. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

It's big five, you forgot House;)

Smacktle and hakeem94 like this.
  14. smp

smp Member

This is the biggest issue. You can't expect to consistently win without a center. You need a center in the paint who can block, rebound, dunk, and help Harden in the pick and roll when the 3 isn't falling. Height matters in basketball in case nobody noticed.

People keep saying the offense is fine, it's the defense that's an issue. I disagree with that statement because the two aren't decoupled. Live by the 3, die by the 3 is a saying for a reason. It's great when the shot is dropping but it's a terrible shot when it isn't. The defense can get set on made shots. It forces the other team to run half court sets. A missed shot leads to fast break points and easy baskets- especially when players don't run back on defense. So when the Rockets are bricking 3's it makes it easier for the opponent to score quickly and it really puts a strain on the defense. Even if they score 120 points, they still miss a ton of shots to get there which ends up with the opponent getting a ton of easy baskets.

JVG only cared about defense so he slowed the game down to make sure his players were able to get back into defensive position. DanTony only cares about offense so he loves the 3. I still think Rick Adelman was the best coach we've had since Rudy because he was more balanced. He just didn't have enough talent to win.

I also think GS has the best blend of offense and defense. If any team was built to shoot a crazy number of 3's it's them and they don't. They are smart about it. They also have 5 allstars though too so I guess that helps! Haha.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I certainly believe they will step it up because effort is absolutely an issue, however, they can't just go from being awful to good because of flipping a switch. They give such poor effort that they are establishing terrible habits. Some of it is personnel too though. Faried just can't play team defense and we have no rim protection. That sort of magnifies EVERY thing else.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yea, I mean this team has shown ability to step up against the better teams in the league in terms of effort. But the fundamentals remain poor, and in a 7 game series will be easily exploited.

I just can’t believe how little they try on that end against inferior opponents. They just don’t have the mindset of last year’s team.

saleem and justtxyank like this.
  17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Still can't teach height. Team is going to switch Capela out and trying to go inside.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Best post of the entire season. Succinct and highly accurate.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

By providing context you would be making your own case. I have no case to make. I'm just wondering if you want to give any meaning to the topic you brought up here. If not that's ok.

Mathloom likes this.