1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Best FA Big: Justin Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooner423, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

The Best FA Big: Justin Williams

Who is this Justin Williams you ask? What if I were to tell you he's a 23 year old center, who's 6'10", and has athleticism that is only exceded by his ferocity on the boards? Is that something you would be interested in?

Well, that's exactly what Justin Williams is. He's a beast on the boards in the mold of a Jerome Williams, but with more size.

You may ask why he is a FA? Well, he was a casualty of the big Bibby trade that the Kings made. They are one of those teams that won't cut or buyout a highly paid player even if they are completely worthless (i.e..Kenny Thomas, Shareef Abdur Rahim, Tyronn Lue, etc..) and the trade brought in more players than roster spots. The young Justin Williams happened to be the lowest paid player on the team, therefore the easiest monetarily for them to cut.

Here's some thoughts on J-Will from Kings fans:
    http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25109&highlight=justin+williams
    That board is filled with nothing but praise for the guy.

And the vids...
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7LIChaPdjGk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7LIChaPdjGk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Start at about half way through...
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HW53ptLoV1w&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HW53ptLoV1w&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. rocketsmetalspd

So is available. If so get him in.

3. Sooner423

I agree. I really think ths guy is our best option. He just needs a little work on his offensive game. With a little help from Sikma, he could get there.

4. BBFEVER

BBFEVER Contributing Member

This guy looks like a bigger Carl Landry to me...go get him! Since we lost Yao I say lets get the most athletic young big out there and run.

5. Sooner423

I think Carl may be a little more polished on the offensive end, but that's not too bad of a comparison. The guy dunks everything just like Carl.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why not, we can use this time to develop some younger players....

DD

7. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Why did Sacramento let him go?

8. drich

drich Member

is he really available

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

OP

"You may ask why he is a FA? Well, he was a casualty of the big Bibby trade that the Kings made. They are one of those teams that won't cut or buyout a highly paid player even if they are completely worthless (i.e..Kenny Thomas, Shareef Abdur Rahim, Tyronn Lue, etc..) and the trade brought in more players than roster spots. The young Justin Williams happened to be the lowest paid player on the team, therefore the easiest monetarily for them to cut."

10. tested911

tested911 Member

His rebound isn't all that and for an athletic guy his BS is low too... Were not looking for a big to score. Were looking for a Big to grab rebounds and body up. He's kinda small for a Center.

11. Sooner423

When they traded Bibby, they took back more players than they gave out. Justin was the lowest paid guy on a one year deal so they chose to cut him rather than the higher paid guys.

12. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Most definitely best option right now.. GET HIM!

13. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

He would be a great pickup. I was surprised that Sac let him go since he had been playing pretty good. He's definately worth a look.

14. Sooner423

That's exactly what he is.

15. tested911

tested911 Member

6"10 and only 235 lbs? That is a skinny dude.

16. tested911

tested911 Member

My bad 225 lbs. even worse.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Kings fans really like this guy. He would be worth looking at. Supposedly he was going to be included in the Bibby to Hawks trade which would have sent Salim Stoudamire to the Kings but the Kings had to nix that part of the trade because of some complications. So they just ended up cutting him. But Kings fans liked this guy and were suprised about him getting cut.

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The Rockets need an offensive option to help Scola. PJ Brown should be looked at before Williams. But if PJ is still enjoying his life in retirement, then this is definitely the guy the Rockets should sign.

Just curious, how many of you would still do the Bonzi trade after hearing this news on Yao?

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I didn't think we could sign anyone w/out clearing the space from the Bonzi/Snyder trades?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wasted time on that question.......it is what it is.

DD