1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Backup PG issue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Feb 8, 2007.

1. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

JVG has said that you earn your minutes by performance. I hope he is a mand of his word -- VSpan has shown enough in last game to take the minutes away from JLIII (maybe even some minutes from Head) !!

2. Rockets#1fan

Rockets#1fan Member

How about getting Flip Murray from the pistons. I heard that they were trying to get rid of him and Nazr Mohammed. They could help us out.

3. Ryan02GT

Ryan02GT Member

I agree with you dfwrox, I think Vspan showed some improvement in last nights game, and as far as I am concerned JLIII needs to be on the bench, he takes more shot that Agent 0 however he does not make them

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You don't earn minutes by bad mouthing your coach and GM. I wouldn't hold your breath about seeing VSpan play meaningful minutes anytime soon.

5. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I agree that V-Span played well last night. However, one game doesn't justify playing time. V-Span needs to have a couple of more performances like last night's for JVG to CONSIDER increasing his minutes.

6. Head9

Head9 Member

If rocket can not get anything from the market, which is very likely.
    I think JVG gonna give Vspan another chance to try, hope he doesn't blow it out again.

Why? JL3 is so ....

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you noticed, V-Span already passed Novak in the rotation, he got in before Novak did.

You guys know that I think V-Span is going to be special, but he needs to take his time, maximize his minutes and then shine when he can.

He didn't play decent last night, he played great in the limited minutes.

He is sooooo much more in command of the offense than JL3, he gets the ball at the top of the key and sets the offense up.....if he gets his head on right all will be forgiven and he will play....maybe even this year.

DD

8. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

I agree. Who would we have to give up to get any one of the players mentioned? I don't want to see the chemistry hurt.

9. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Chucky Atkins is a perfect fit for this team. His value is going up, he keeps playing better and that sucks for us. I think Atkins could be this years Mike James. I just hope like hell we can pull it off.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree, but he is only 5'11" tall, and that worries me, we already have a dirth of midget guards......

I really wish we could get a 6'3 or taller PG to compliment this team.

DD

11. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

i see a lot of nice names suggested but i believe that the two most viable options to be are Chucky Atkins and Keith McCloud. Atkins would be the preferable choice because he is frankly the better player. The big question is what will Jerry West do? i can a scenario as the trade deadline approaches that the Grizzlies trade Atkins to the Rox (probably a preferable contender) as a reward for Chucky services to the Grizzlies gut wrenching season. But it wouldn't shock me if Jerry tries to get the most out of his trading chips and hangs on to Chucky for the best offer that he can find. McCloud would be the unflashy veteran backup option. McCloud was an efficient player in Utah, but i see a red flag when a player can not beat out a prehistoric Darrell Armstrong for playing time...

12. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I can't think of any 6'3 guards out there...

Juan Dixon. I don't know how tall he is but he's a player thats not mentioned who I think would also be a nice fit as a backup pg for our team.

The key is, number 1, you have to be able to run the offense better than Luther Head can, then 2, you have to be able to hit the threepointer.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed but I think Chucky Atkins plays much larger than he is. He is quick and looks be to very strong for his size. He's a 5'11" guy that plays like his 6'2" or so.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Damon Jones is 6'3".......allegedly.

15. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Wasn't Damon Jones a former Rocket Ball boy?

16. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

How bout we make a move for Mike Bibby via Detroit:

Sacramento Outgoing:
    Mike Bibby
    Vitaly Potapenko

Sacramento Incoming:
    Rafer Alston
    Vassili Spanoulis
    Antonio McDyess
    Houston TE

Houston Outgoing:
    Rafer Alston
    Vassili Spanoulis
    Bobby Sura
    Bonzi Wells
    Houston TE

Houston Incoming:
    Mike Bibby
    Vitaly Potapenko

Detroit Outgoing:
    Antonio McDyess

Detroit Incoming:
    Bobby Sura
    Bonzi Wells

17. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

chucky atkins would be PERFECT.

but will memphis just give him up? not sure they'll want to deal with us after we robbed them in the gay trade... just my opinion.

he is a hustle player, decent defender and a great shooter. poor man's mike james in my mind...

memphis is rebuilding, but would they really just give him to us for jack ****?

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

and who's gonna backup Bibby? JLIII? we're back to square one...nevermind that we wouldn't touch Bibby's contract...

I'd love a tall backup PG also, but it's not like Magic Johnson is out there on the other playoff teams that creates bad mismatches. Jason Terry is 6'2, Steve Nash is 6'3, Tony Parker is 6'2, Deron Williams is 6'3. None of those guys try to post up smaller players.

It's too bad Jalen Rose wants to gravy train his way to a ring on the Suns, I'd kinda like him as a backup PG/Point Forward, he would create mismatches for us also.

#78 v3.0, Feb 10, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  19. TYAOC

TYAOC Member

Its true, I think Rafer is ok at pg, we do need backup PF or C in front court. Plz CD, get us someone!!

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Mike Dunleavy jr could be an all in one fix, he can play PG/SG/SF/PF. Pacers have been playing him at SG, when he was at GS he was playing PF, after being moved there from the SF position. He has also started several games at PG for the Warriors.

For all the knock on him being soft Pacers have improved their team defense with him in there, but he's still putting up inconsistent numbers, the reason he was traded in the first place.

Snyder, Sura, Padgett. It's essentially a 1 for 1 trade since Bob and Padge are expiring contracts as they're not playing anyway. Rockets would be adding around 1.2 million more in salary in thi sdeal but they can afford to without hitting the LT threshold.