1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Rockets Film Room: Russell Westbrook is Houston’s ‘5%,’ plus preseason clips

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Oct 3, 2019.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

You want your centers at the rim to bother shots, anchor the defense and grab rebs. I know Capela has more mobility than your average lumbering center but you still want him near the rim and not defending people at the 3 pt line.

WB can be a better defender than Cp3 because he is 6'5 instead of 5'9 and hasnt lost his quickness yet.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

The switch scheme is not fit for our current personel. It requires a lot of players with high defensive IQ who can forsee what the opponent is gonna do so they can switch immediately. Cp3, Ariza and Tucker when we had those 3 the switch was great cuz they can all switch perfectly. But now all we have is PJ Tucker the rest of our players will benefit more from having a "set" defensive game plan rather than being asked to anticipate and then shut down what the opponent is gonna do via switching.

Also GSW was really the only one switching was effective cuz they had like 4 great shooters, now the other teams only have 2-3 threats so switching wont be as effective asa traditional defense and then sticking Tucker on their best player pretty much all the time.

hakeem94, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is what I meant when I said I preferred Blossomgame over Clark @ApacheWarrior.

Rockets need more Blossomgame type players - lengthy, strong, quick, athletic, YOUNG, NASTY and PHYSICAL.

hakeem94 and vlaurelio like this.
  4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

ClutchFans conspiracy

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Luc was also important part of switch everything D.

With Luc, Ariza, PJ and CP3 - there was at least 2 defensive coaches on floor at all times.

Those 4 made EGo and Clint even more efficient on D.

Nook and BaselineFade like this.
  6. Rokman

Rokman Member

I foresee a trade this year that finally shores up the front court.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

Ehh, maybe. There were stretches during last season where our defense was effective. It's hard to say what's gonna happen with our defense this year, this is our biggest question mark.

FrontRunner and BaselineFade like this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I am disappoint. Why you no meme?

[​IMG]

Nook, Os Trigonum and hakeem94 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did the Athletic coply what Tilman said or vice versa?

'We have 95% of winning ingredients, we feel Russell is our 5%.'

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Really? I think offense is the biggest question mark because MDA's hallmark has always been offensive efficiency. Thats why he likes 7 secs or less because most of those shots go in, so the higher the pace the more points they score in a period of time. Thats why there wanst a huge struggle fitting Morey Ball into MDA system because Steve Nash didnt take a lot of mid range 3s in the first place.

OTH WB is pretty much the least efficient star in the NBA and he compounds that by having as much volume as Harden. Other coaches tried ti maskt his problem by slowing their team's pace and playing half court and making it a defensive match, I dunno how MDA can successfully integrate WB without marginalizing him. If WB became strictly a Rivers clone who just srove into the rim then fine but we all know WB isnt like that, he is Sir Chuck-a-lot.

So to me the bigger question is the offense. There arent any teams with 4 all stars anymore, so I think there should be less emphasis on D cuz as hard as they try they cant beat a defense with Kawhi, PG and Beverly. As long as MDA is coach anyway the focus will always be scoring more than the opponent than making them score less.

HP3 likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

With Bennett having surgery there is room for both in my opinion; but the Rockets are sentimental and will
    probably keep Ryno (against my wishes)......because that’s what they often do.

Difference is I think we project Clark differently. I project Clark gaining 8 to 10 pounds of muscle
    and being Power Forward (obviously takes time.....rest of season). NBA is turning lighter and more
    of a perimeter game and Clark projects right in there at Power Forward.

Blossomgame I project as more Small Forward, where the competition is Harden/Gordon followed by
    House, Sefolosha (experienced defender), McLemore is 6’5” but listed as Small Forward as well. Outplaying
    Blossomgame at the moment. So you now see why I think Clark makes the roster......less competition.
    Rockets want players that are not shy of shooting 3-pointers. Clark will put up 8 a game. Clemons will put
    up 10 easy a game. Blossomgame is too shy: 1 in the first game and zero in the 2nd game. Harden/Westbrook
    are going to doing enough driving for 4 players........we need confident 3-point shooters to compliment them
    (and Gordon as well). Part of the problem last season was CP3 driving less because he couldn’t get to the
    rim as easily. Westbrook won’t have that problem with Rockets shooters.

Again, I hope Blosssomgame makes the team, because I don’t care to have Harden/Gordon/McLemore
    playing SF.......but we are dealing with D’Antoni.

12. Nook

Nook Member

They will still switch.... just less often.

The Warriors exploited the Rockets total switch scheme in the playoffs, the Rockets were switching 40 feet from the basket and the DC made zero adjustments.

D-rock, Deuce and HP3 like this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

By every metric and the eye test Blossomgame is a better basketball player than Clark. Neither are "young" anymore but Blossomgame is only a year older than Clark so not sure Clark has anytime to get better. He is what he is and right now that's not as good as Blossomgame.

D-rock likes this.