1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Elston Turner is trying to make the Rockets defense great, but he can’t do it alone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 27, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Why did we cut him again?
    I know everyone is in love with his potential. But I feel like if he could really be our guy....I mean...you should be able to show it in the D-League and Summer League right? Thats where you should be dominating.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think it depends on what kind of player you are . If one of your main strengths is your grasp of team defensive schemes and rotations , the G-league isn’t a good place to showcase that

I do agree that you’d hope his offense would stand out more , but would a guy like PJ put up 30 a game in RGV ? I doubt it .

HP3 likes this.
  3. lionaire

lionaire Member

Think we prioritized keeping Canaan and Daniels if i'm not mistaken

HP3 likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think it was Francisco Garcia

5. lionaire

lionaire Member

oof

6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

What did the Suns do to him and Majerle? I know Majerle was traded, but he eventually came back and is still close with the Colangelos AFAIK. Not sure about where he stands with Sarver... or what happened between the Suns and Turner.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It’s like when a website references what looks like a great story in the Washington Post or WSJ or The Daily Beast. To read more, click the link, so you do, and you have to be subscribed.

GDMFSOB! (Well, I don’t get that upset; I usually know the dead-end click-the-links now.)

8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

If Turner's calling out the Rockets' bench in the press while taking credit for the starters' successes, he's a bigger fool than I thought. With the exception of Westbrook, the starters have been playing high-level defense for the past couple of seasons, at least when they want to. But the bench, with their new players... I guess they're just not as receptive to his great coaching, right?

9. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

I believe in turner the problem is lack of a true backup pf ,which forces us to go small ball.The starting lineup is not smallball.And McLemore is a 6-3 guard playing the 3 ,wtf

10. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean....Im glad you have more faith in him than I do. I hope he pulls through next time he plays.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It’s almost like we should have kept Chris Paul

12. Nook

Nook Member

This 100%

It is the difference between a 1 seed and a 6 seed. The bench is bad and doesn’t fit well in some regards.

Deuce and HP3 like this.