1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Atheltic/Amick] The Rockets and their ‘Horrible’ Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

https://theathletic.com/1355072/201...k-at-five-x-factors-that-can-decide-the-west/

4. The Rockets and their ‘Horrible’ Defense
    Chris Paul and his always-outspoken ways might be gone from Houston, but that doesn’t mean the creative tension that might define these Rockets yet again went to Oklahoma City with him in that trade for Russell Westbrook last summer.

This dynamic group has spent much of these past few seasons trying to master the art of balance, with a James Harden/Mike D’Antoni-led offense that has been historically good and a Jekyll and Hyde defense that is succumbing to its inner demons at the moment. After a rocky summer in which their prickly inner dynamics were revealed to the outside world and certainly played a part in the Westbrook move, sources say that a familiar debate – how much they focus on offense vs. the need to take more of a prideful approach to defense – has been a point of early frustration among the players yet again and a topic of great focus.

Simply put, you can’t contend for a title if you only choose to play one end of the floor. And while it’s early, it’s also really, really, ugly: Houston is ranked 28th in defensive rating (113.6 points allowed per 100 possessions), a steep decline from its 17th ranking last season (110.1) and a sky dive from the seventh ranking in 2017-18 (105.7).

But even that doesn’t really tell you how bad the Rockets’ defense has been. The old-school approach to statistics – points allowed per game – should do the trick: 117 (Milwaukee; a loss), 123 (New Orleans; a win), 112 (Oklahoma City; win), 158 (Washington; win, franchise record for points allowed), 123 (Brooklyn; loss), Miami (129; loss), Memphis (100; loss without Westbrook).

For the sake of specifics, let’s pass the microphone to a scout who has seen the Rockets in person multiple times this season.

“There is no accountability,” the scout told The Athletic. “They switch everything (which has been the case for years now), and so there’s no (sense of) ‘Ok, I’m going to fight (through screens) and try to really get back in front.’ No, they just switch. They stare at the ball. They get beat backdoor so many times. James (Harden) takes a bad shot, and he jogs back. The two (good) defenders they have can’t guard everybody. P.J. (Tucker) can’t guard everybody. And Austin (Rivers), who can guard at times, can’t guard everybody. They’re just horrible defensively. They get beat off the dribble so easily. (Center) Clint Capela is pretty good protecting the rim, but they switch and he’s caught on a guard so much of the time and the guard goes right by him.”

As this scout sees it, switching out Paul with Westbrook isn’t the answer on that end either.

“I don’t think he has any impact defensively,” he said of Westbrook. “His only impact defensively is as a rebounder, where he’s terrific. We all know that. But he’s a gamble defender. He’s another guy who switches easily. I’m telling you, their off-ball and their weakside defense is awful. …They just shoot so careless, and the turnovers and the bad shots. I don’t know, man. I don’t know if I see this thing getting fixed. Now those two guys coming at you with a full head of steam, that’s a problem, with Russ and James. That’s a problem. When they’re making 3s, they’re ridiculous. But they’re not going to win in the playoffs.”

It can’t help that the Rockets parted ways with Jeff Bzdelik back in mid-May, when their former defensive guru/Rockets associate head coach was let go before joining Alvin Gentry’s staff in New Orleans. Then again, this isn’t all that different from what happened last season. During the Rockets’ 11-14 start to the 2018-19 campaign, they were 25th in defensive rating (112.2 points allowed per 100). From that point on, they went 42-15 and were the league’s 11th-best defensive team (before finishing 17th).

As general Daryl Morey told our Rockets beat writer, Kelly Iko, on Sunday, he’s still bullish on what they’ll become defensively – early evidence be damned.

“I have a lot of confidence that we’re going to be one of the top 10 defensive teams by the end of the year,” Morey said before the loss to the Heat.

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

as far as the switching, it seems like a lot of the new players still havent picked up on it. it is a complex system though most people dont seem to realize it. i dont think the scheme itself is bad but we aren't even doing it properly. guys are getting lost and confused on which man they are supposed to be on in what situation.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

this article is another reminder of why I need to be better at keeping my frustrations with Capela in check...he’s surrounded by bad defenders and gets switched onto a perimeter player often

How many bigs wouldn’t disappoint in that scenario? Offensively he’ll annoy me, and then I’ll look up and he has 14 on 6-9 shooting or something like that. It’s hard not to get frustrated tho.

Our offense would be top 3 or top 4 at worst now if not for that atrocious Miami game, and that’s with all the brick laying we’ve been doing. If we were shooting like an NBA team, then my god, we’d be destroying teams on offense. Just being an average shooting team is enough to surpass any team in this league offensively. That’s a scary thought for the rest of the NBA.

Defensively, we need reinforcements. We need height. We need length. Midget ball with a bunch of unathletic, old players won’t cut it. This team isn’t winning any championship with a sh*t tier or even below average defense. U gotta be top 10 at worst.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is something you would hope a coach would see and attempt to...shoot, i don't know...coach????

6. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Been saying this all season - so far.....and some people were like......what? Westbrook doesn't leave his man to chase rebounds.....lol whatever.

This is the WORST Rockets team in years.

DD

manlisten, Turbo and jeevinesh like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In Morey We Trust

RayRay10 and HP3 like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

[​IMG]

Uhhhhh....

DD

HP3 and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not to brag myself, but i've been saying this for a year now, you can't expect a center to keep your defense in check by himself if the perimeter players get burned every single time, let alone when that center is playing 50% of his time on the perimeter guarding point guards...you could swap Gobert with Capela now and our defense would still suck.

dmoneybangbang, Reeko and HP3 like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

:p

jcf, topfive and HP3 like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't know about that, but it's certainly the Rockets team that sparks the most hyperbole, histrionics and middle-school drama.

jcf, RocketRed84, Os Trigonum and 2 others like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

14. realonemo

realonemo Member

So to sum it up
    Westbrook: bad defender/gambler
    Harden: bad defender/gambler
    CC: when switched to guard (which is always) he is a bad defender
    3/5 of your lineup smfh

BasketMAD and Sajan like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

we gotta stop switching everything

smp likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sounds like we have a problem with transition defense. The fact is that Russ on the floor = faster pace thus creating more havoc on our transition defense.

We need to learn how to play with pace but hustle back

Nook likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook and Vivi like this.
  19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Our offense is like Westbrook's playstyle... fast and out of control.

Our defense is like Harden's playstyle... slow and without effort.

BasketMAD, HewbieTrippin and jboslett like this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Seems like something a coach should try fixing. Maybe. I'm just spitballing here though.

harold bingo likes this.