1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Astros "What Needs to be Done" Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, May 5, 2016.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

When Stassi comes back, I am sure Kratz is gone.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If not then just DFA him, he throws hard, but has been given plenty of time to show that he is "good" and he simply isn't. He is in his 30's, we have plenty of options in the minors that would be better than him anyway. Plus, we are going to have to clear some 40 man space at some point soon anyway for Reed/Moran

3. The Beard

Anyone heard anything lately about his return? I know early on they said early May, but haven't heard a word on him in quite a while

4. The Drake

The Drake Member

He played in Fresno last night and apparently he's going to catch McCullers on Saturday, so his return should be imminent.

5. The Beard

Sweet...I don't think he is great, but he is a clear upgrade to Kratz...and removing Kratz would clear one of the 40 man spots needed for Moran/Reed

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

How does Lucroy's defense compare to Castro's?

7. The Beard

Stat wise he has historically been right at league average in throwing out baserunners

He has the reputation of being a good pitch framer, for whatever that is worth

I haven't seen a lot of Brewer games personally so I won't pretend to have seen him catch a lot. I don't think there is any question he would upgrade us at the catcher spot immensely....problem is the cost it would take to acquire

1 person likes this.
  8. mick fry

mick fry Member

Fire Hinch! The rest will take care of itself.

9. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

Why do y'all think we may have dug too deep of a hole already? We are 6.5 games with 134 left lol there is just so much time left in the season that those are just insane to even say out loud. Am I worried about Giles in high leverage situations? Yes. Does our 1B, 3B, and DH situation scare me? Yes. But is it time to panic? No. Like other posters have said, those need to be addressed, but i am not panicked at all. Its just too early to even think that, especially since no one is running away with the division at all lol

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I trust Luhnow and he says they need to be .500 by mid-June to be in the mix. There are 40 games between now and June 15, which means they need to go 24-16 to get there. That doesn't seem all that unlikely, but will require at least a little luck. Definitely too early to write off the season and it's not like even if they do give up they will be selling any major pieces outside of pending free agents.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Am I doing the math correctly? Seattle is on pace to win 96 games; for the Astros to win 96 games, they'll have to go 86-48 the rest of the way. Essentially play 104-win pace ball for 134 games.

The Tigers (second wildcard slot IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY) are on pace to win 87 games; the Astros would need to go 76-58, or 92-win pace.

So... they've dug themselves a fairly significant hole.

12. The Beard

It's a significant hole for sure, but as he said there is plenty of time left

The "pace" thing is way too early to put any belief in. If we beat them tonight their pace would be 92 wins...it just changes so drastically this early

I agree with what Luhnow says on this one, if we are at .500 mid June, we are in the mix

13. Jay713

Jay713 Member

.....in the mix of average teams.

14. Hey Now!

Technically... 93. And sure - having said that, if they sweep us, it jumps to 101.

The general point is that "it's early" is becoming less viable each day; more so with each loss that isn't balanced by 3-4 wins.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It is not a question whether it is possible to dig ourselves out of the hole we are in. It is a question of likelihood. While the lions share of that likelihood rests on turning around the season and playing better, it also depends on how well the teams above us play, which is almost all of them.

To make the playoffs, we need to be no worse than 4th out of 15 teams. Right now we are 14th.

16. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Hire Delgado. What more do YOU need?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course its not early... but nobody is presuming any of these teams to continue to play at their current pace... good or bad.

Season is such a grind... no team is as good as they think they are, or as bad as they think they are (except the Braves... who are emulating the Astros model).

Its universally regarded that the Astros should play better... they were hitting at historically inept levels in regards to RISP, and unless Keuchel and Giles have truly lost it, they will see overall improvement in their pitching numbers.

18. The Beard

Actually.....

On June 1st of last year

Toronto who would go on to win the East, was 23-29
    Texas who would win the West, was 26-25
    Yankees who would be a wild card (aka our b****) was 27-25
    Pittsburgh who would be a wild card was 27-24

On June 1st of 2014

Baltimore who would win the East was 28-27
    Kansas City who would be a wild card was 26-30
    Washington who would win the East was 27-28
    St. Louis who would sin the central was 30-27
    LAD who would win the west was 30-28
    Pittsburgh who would be a wild card was 26-30

On June 1st of 2013

LAD who would win the West was 23-31

And the list goes on and on and on and on and on

So yes, if we get to .500 by June, we will be in the mix. We have a lot of work to do in order to get back to .500, but if we do we will be in the mix, and will be a team in the mix that is playing very well

19. The Beard

This is so true

In addition to my other June 1st stuff I just posted

on June 1st last year

NYY, Minnesota and Houston were AL division leaders, none of them won their division

On June 1st of 2014

Toronto, Detroit and Oakland were leading their divisions, only Detroit hung on

Atlanta, Milwaukee and SF were leading NL divisions, none of them won their division and only SF made the playoffs as a wild card

All of these games we are playing right now matter, they are all important. But looking at the standings in June is not very predictive, much less trying to look at them in early May

Just win games, that is all that matters right now

20. Hey Now!

Yeah, well - the Astros are on pace (on pace guy!) to be 19-34 on June 1.