1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Astros "What Needs to be Done" Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, May 5, 2016.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

To go further on the chemistry/morale/clubhouse thing.. I can't remember the last time I've heard someone use that argument on a pitcher. Why doesn't anyone talk about their influence on chemistry? Or the chemistry of a bullpen and how it changes when guys have their roles changed / demotions happen?

My theory is that they're less visible. The cameras don't pan to the bullpen much when the guys are hanging out. But people see Marisnick and others joking around in the OF and after homers and draw these connections.

Not to say "chemistry doesn't exist"--just pointing out the fact that we ignore half the team when we talk about it. Which is probably an indication that we don't have much information on the whole concept.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would miss Altuve constantly trying to steal his hat after walk-off wins.... so that's one negative.

In all honesty, these guys spend more time with each other than any other aspect/entity in their lives. Chemistry is certainly there, and is a "thing"...but they're not always going to all get along... despite what we see during games. But as long as they wouldn't replace him with a glaring "me first" guy (which despite public appearances, Gomez actually didn't turn out to be that person), I doubt chemistry would really suffer.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree that his upside doesn't offset his downside. Replacing him either requires a ready farm candidate or a trade. Promoting someone already in the system doesn't cost us, but unloading prospects does. So the question becomes whether we are ready to unload assets to get rid of him or not. Its a ripe time to consider given the proximity to the trade deadline. But its also a question of whether Jake's position is the foremost one in need of shoring up for a playoff push. Sure, we may get more than one deal done, but we need to prioritize in order to make sure the assets we give up contribute to our area of greatest need.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As it stands, their greatest need is to get better against left handed pitching... but they also likely need to solidify the rotation with a quality starter, but those can be harder to come by.

Facing another lefty tonight.... will actually be curious to see if he starts for Rasmus again.

5. kaleidosky

I assume the question is the last starting spot--could go to Reed, Rasmus, Worth I think. I'd prefer Reed at DH.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Papelbon?

7. kaleidosky

Good point. I guess there have been some rare instances--Papelbon, and now Rocker comes to mind..lol

8. Buck Turgidson

They do. You can google some combination of "mlb pitchers veteran leadership" and find numerous articles quoting GMs, managers and players on the subject. You can find some great quotes and articles on general clubhouse stuff googling "mlb chemistry" as well.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Does anyone else feel like we have retro'd to a couple years back when prospects were being brought up in floods, tried for a while, sent down and brought back later?

I remember the thinking well. We were rebuilding, so it didn't matter if a guy was 1/32. You kept him in there. Maybe I got ahead of myself, but I thought we were in a division race, yes?

I suppose some combination of the above is true. We still are rebuilding AND in a division race. :eek:

So, what needs to be done? We really need to figure out who can help us. While i'd love to go all in for the division race, we simply have too many holes and/or too many question marks, especially on the position player side of things. Flooding the staff with prospects now is what needs to be done. It may cost us the division this year, but better now than latter.

Ideally, i'd like to see Spring Training 2017 finish up knowing who among Moran, Bregman, White, Singleton, Worth, Reed, Tucker, Marisnick and Kemp is ready to contribute. I dont want to spend next year playing "rotate the rookies". Get most of it done now so we can go into the winter meetings with clear heads.

I am not going to address our pitching right now. Another day.

So, if we can count on (2) from the group above and sign (1) significant FA, I think we look good to go in 2017.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Any word on Lance?

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Are we to the point that what needs to be done is to grab a beer, to sit back, and to watch some well-played baseball?