1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Answer: FIRE MOREY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davestrate, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

If this was the case I doubt Morey would still chose to work for the Rockets. I'm sure he had input on the coaching staff and gave his approval for MDA. He runs the perfect DM offense.

2. Nook

Nook Member

No, Morey doesn't decide on the coach and neither did Carrol Dawson. McHale... D'Antoni... Adelman all were chosen by Alexander for better or worse. I am sure Daryl gives his opinion but Alexander makes the final call.

Telling a man to leave the city he lives in, where his school age daughters grew up, where his wife doesn't want to leave and where his best friends live for his job is not something many of us would do.

3. Amir's Johnson

Archie Goodwin to the Pelicans. Fire Morey? ;)

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Allen iverson

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about grooming an assistant GM, who uses stats but has another angle on things, thinking outside the box?

That would give a GM time to step down eventually.

Morey always encourages the crowd to give him ideas, we need more ideas and better ideas than just chucking 3s and drawing fouls.

He will get another job elsewhere fairly easily.

I agree we won't know what would happen post Morey era but the status quo will be kicking the can down the road endless years until he hits something, and after years of another playoff failure, back to the drawing board.

Again and again. Seemingly an endless time loop created by Dr. Strange.

Maybe till the owner sells the team.

#1145 daywalker02, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Im sorry this is a business. Making business decisions for sentimental reasons is bad business. Secondly firing Morey is not telling him to leave Houston. If he loves Houston so much he can find a job in Houston.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

for years morey's one constant strength vs other gm's was always his careful fiscal management of the cap. and now we're saddled with multiple untradeable contracts. couple this with his draft blunders plus the fact that we don't have even one 2way player on the roster now, and daryl's certainly making it harder to defend him.

daywalker02 and cheke64 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Huh? Someone asked why Morey doesn't quit if he has little control and I explained that he doesn't want to leave where his family has put down roots.

9. Nook

Nook Member

If you want Morey fired, that is fine... but Alexander wanted the money spent and wanted to win right now.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm on the fence about morey being fired/retained for now. but i also don't accept that every roster mishap can be attributable solely to les. if we're going to shower morey for praise with all the good moves over the years, then he has to be accountable for at least some of the bad.

boiler likes this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

People that want morey fired also wanted mchale and adlemen fired, and will also want the next gym fired after the first season.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup, not 100% Les but Les is Les, he can do whatever he wants, meaning he has slowed down the franchise significantly in the past.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If Maury wants to stay in Houston, that's fine and understandable. After all, Houston is known to have the best food and best buffets compared to most other cities.

If Murray wants to stay with the Rockets. that's fine too. Just make him swallow his ego and relegate him to a junior position where he can punch numbers and run statistical models all day on Excel. At least that should keep him busy and off twitter.

Hire a GM and let the new GM use Muari's statistical models and spreadsheets as deemed fit.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I honestly think Morey being fired will make him a better GM as he will be forced to look at what worked and what failed and adjust, he is a smart guy, but sometimes you need that 10,000 foot view for clarity.

DD

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Give D'Antoni the keys

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, I mean Harrell, Dekker and Capela look like total busts now, right? Morey's had only 2 big blunders so far, that would be passing on Batum for Green and passing on Kawhi Leonard for baby Melo whatshisname. Other than those 2 (and special mention to my most hated rocket ever Royce White and Sergio "too scared of the NBA" Llull), majority of Morey's picks have outperformed the draft pick they're in, something that is surprising given the high amount of picks he's made over the years. Morey is an above average drafter at worst.

Also the only really untradeable contract on the team so far is Ryan Anderson, Brewer's salary is an expiring and can easily be traded as an asset at the deadline. Anderson is an MDA signing, Morey spent the entire offseason talking about how much the defense sucked why will he choose a no-d player as his most important signing?

Anyway the Rockets just reached WCF 2 years ago, and he just got Harden to commit to 4 years in Houston. Sorry to break it to you, but Morey's not getting fired. That's like having a real bad salesman for years, but then firing him the time he became the top saleman in the country because he sucked years before that.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure Harden has them and won't give them up

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey has been fantastic, but he desperately needs to make some major upgrades this season and this coming offseason. There is no question about it.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

passing on kawhi was a huge blunder that many here would not have made. and royce was also one of the dumbest picks in rockets history, of course. even if he had his head on straight (a huge if), he could never shoot.

my understanding is that brewer's owed a fully guaranteed $7,579,366 next season, is this incorrect? i don't see anybody viewing that as an "asset".

i also don't see how you can arbitrarily just call anderson an MDA signing when morey's been chasing the guy himself the past few seasons. and speaking of anderson's contract, what exactly was morey thinking when he forked over that $80M? the only other team even rumored to give a rats ass about this player was the kings, who are a most abominable organization domiciled in a state with 11% state income tax. were the kings offering him $90M?? compare what morey gave this stiff while the clips are paying speights the frickin minimum. in the words of DD, "Sheeesh".

regarding WCF 2 years ago, what are our odds of ever making it back there now? with zero 2way players on the roster, albatross contracts eating up our cap, perenially injured players, a huge donut hole in the middle in terms of D and rebounding....the list goes on. again i'm not saying morey should necessarily be fired, but let's not sugarglaze his F up's either

J.R., FTW Rockets FTW and Fyreball like this.
  20. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Him playing and now STARTING Corey Brewer, tells me that he SHOULD NEVER be the GM of the Rockets!