1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The amount of hate towards our coaches is ridic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by supermang, Dec 10, 2012.

1. seahawk

seahawk Member

Result of poor rotation....Harden is hurt and not likely to play against Spurs tonight.

2. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

McFail is even dumber than I gave him credit for. Fire his a** immediately. I don't care who gets hired to replace him, because this is just unacceptable.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Please do not make things up and post them. You have absolutely no facts to back that statement up. In fact your posts contain no information and just present a novice view of NBA basketball. Please go find a closet to hang out in.

4. OpportunityCost

Think of a car as an example. Someone may really love their car and want it to function as best as it possibly can. If this person sees that the car's engine isn't working properly, he/she will replace the engine. It won't replace the engine because it hates the engine, but because he/she really loves the car and it really wants it to function as best as it can.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

As near as I can tell (from advanced stats NBA papers presented in major conferences) coaching accounts for 5% of a teams win total. Four games a year. Bad talent, or heck just young talent, probably accounts for 75% of win total. And no that is just a guess. But is it far off?

6. OpportunityCost

I wouldn't want to marginalize the impact of coaching down to 5%. I think talent AND saavy coaching are both important for overall success. However I also wouldn't want to be non-chalant and just settle for a level of "coaching" that may be considered below par just because we're not contending for the championship this year.

7. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

The Morey haters needed a new (old) angle.

8. nono

nono Member

What justification will you give for McHale today ?

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Harden wasn't playing.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

stupid
    r****ded
    asanine
    lacking in clue

^^^ this is what comes to mind when thinking about the coaching staff's substitutions and offensive play calls in tonite's 4Q and OT

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

too many unforced errors..

so what if we're the youngest team. these are still grown men playing a sport they've played their entire lives. I don't buy the youth excuse

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I take your opinion seriously. But the only recent team under age 25 (since 1998) to achieve a winning record was the 2008-2009 Blazers. And even they were not as young as the Rockets.

13. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Questionable rotation from the coaching staff again tonight. We would probably win a few more games if JVG was coaching this team.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

You don't think the youngest team in the league going up against a team of elite veterans is at a disadvantage? Really?

Man, you don't have a clue.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know why you say that stat is marginalizing coaching. Vegas move the Rockets win total by 5 games with the Harden trade. If anything, based on economics, coaches are underpaid if they can produce near James Harden level.

Daryl Morey, whether you believe him or not, stated that the impact of coaching is inversely proportional to your talent. i.e. less impactful on the Thunder/Heat and more so with Kings/Raptors. He only commented on regular season though, so not sure about all the Phil Jackson swooping in and win championships thing.

16. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Obviously the creator of this thread doesn't watch the whole game.

The Rockets coaching staff is utterly horrible in the 4th quarter.

I don't care how they coach through the first 3 and half quarters, because if your team is close or winning by a small margin with 6 mins to go in the last quarter, that is when quality coaching decisions need to be made and that is when bad coaching is exposed the most.

Examples of reasons why the rockets lose close games:

1. Not calling timeouts to draw up a last play to win or tie a game,

2. line ups out on the floor at the end of the game are usually out of whack and don't necessarily have the best players out there which doesn't give us the best opportunity to win.

3. encouraging to much harden iso plays in the last 2 minutes making our offense stagnate and having to put up a bad shot which pretty much equals a turnover

4. stagnation can also be attributed to players being tired, eg harden, parons and lin playing over 40 mins in the game. Coaches need to work on better rotations.

17. liunatic

liunatic Member

Guys, Guys....McHale isn't Popovich.

1) Popovich's staff is great at player development.
    2) Popovich is great at putting his players in places and rotations where they can succeed (utilize strengths, minimize weaknesses).
    3) Popovich has outcoached pretty much every coach in the league.

What everyone is asking is for McHale to be Pop, and that will never happen. Coaches like Pop are not cheap and usually are not available.

Like the players, we need to let McHale develop as a coach. Popovich was not as good as he is now early in his career.

18. jk103

jk103 Member

Popovich has also had Tony Parker and Tim Duncan on the court for more than a decade. For as young as this team is and how little time they've been together the Rockets are doing fine. This is the youngest, cheapest team in the NBA, the coaching staff is doing fine.

19. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

No I'm not making things up. Go back and watch some Rockets games from last season and you'll see what I'm talking about. I've been watching basketball since 1999.

20. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

and youd wonder why the amount of hate is so high.....today's game shows how misused Harden and Lin are by the coaching staff.