1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The All-Encompassing Watt Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Sep 8, 2015.

1. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I love Watt, but QBs are so much more valuable than defensive players in today's game. If you redid the 2011 draft, Cam still goes ahead of Watt. If your QB has a good season, there is no way you go 2-14. Watt can have a good season like 2013 and the Texans can still go 2-14. Having a competent QB is everything. It's more important than having the best defensive player in the league.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but Cam has an awesome defense too. In fact, his defense on whole, is better than him.

Forget an awesome QB, just give Watt an above average one. Dare I say, prime Schaub :eek:

Matty probably still folds in cruchtime though.

3. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

The panthers have zero regrets about taking Cam first. He is good and likely MVP this year. JJ can dominate and the Texans can still sucK. If a QB has a great year, there is no chance his team can ever finish 2-14.

It's a quarterback league. JJ is better than Andy dalton easily, but dalton has been more valuable than JJ. It's true. Take Dalton off the bengals and they have no chance like this year. Like I said, JJ can be awesome and his team can still finish 2-14 like in

It's all about the quarterback play. In 2016, I honestly don't know if you can win a Super Bowl if your best and highest paid player is on defense.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well can you blame them? Each time this team plays on the national stage they suck ass 95% of the time.

5. conquistador#11

phillip rivers wants his 52 sons back.
    cam 2012, cam 2014, both 7 win teams. You need all three phases to contend. No coincidence either that the other 12 win team in 2013, had Luuuuke as a DPOY winner.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Are there seriously Houston fans criticizing JJ in this thread? You know you're an idiot when...

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

For the record, the Panthers, prior to this year, were 30-31-1 with just two playoff appearances in Newton's first four years. The Texans are 42-38 with three playoff appearances since JJ Watt arrived.

Now, obviously, this year, in large part due to Newton's season, the Panthers are 15-1 and their overal record under Newton is now 45-21-1. But JJ still leads Cam in total # of winning seasons (4 to 2) and has the same number of playoff appearances (3-3).

1 person likes this.
  8. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

If a QB puts up a 35-10 Td-interception season, that team will be great. A defensive player can get 15 sacks and that team can still suck. JJ had a monster year last year, and the Texans went 9-7. Cam had a monster year this year and the team goes 15-1. Tom Brady Has a monster year and the pats go 16-0.

And you point out Cams record before this year. That proves my point. Look at his numbers. When he was good in 2013, they were good. When he was ehh, they won 7 games in 2011/2012/2014.

Look obviously, JJ is awesome. But in today's NFL, it's all about the QBs. Having a good QB is more important than having the best defensive player in the league.

9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Everyone knows Texans need a QB.

Watt can make any defense viable by himself, is the defensive GOAT, and is doing the city proud.

Remember though, it took some of the worst QB play in history to incur that 2-14 record.

Not sure Cam, or any QB you mentioned, can/has amassed 12+ wins with all-time worst defense.

#169 Houstunna, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There is probably not single GM picking JJ Watt over cam to start a franchise.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/JJWatt">@JJWatt</a> joins B.Smith &amp; R.White as only players to win PFWA DPOY three times. Watt is 1st player in <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL">@NFL</a> history to win back-to-back years</p>&mdash; Texans PR (@TexansPR) <a href="https://twitter.com/TexansPR/status/689870149852200960">January 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG] [​IMG]

<iframe width="454" height="250" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zslq5uolM5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

JJ Watt
    ‏@JJWatt

Also appreciate all the "nurses" offering to help rehab my groin surgeries. Didn't realize there were so many qualified pros out there! Haha
    6:30 AM - 30 Jan 2016

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My wife is an operating room nurse. Believe me, she offered to volunteer her services as a professional. Just not publicly to JJ. Haha.

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Only 2 posts celebrating Watt's 3rd DPOY :confused: Guess we're just numb to the greatness.

Congrats to JJ. Keep on making history and hopefully we get a QB soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't think he's been voted in for the "official" award get, just the sportswriters? Correct me if I'm wrong...

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Yeah, according to WIKI, the official award hasn't been announced.

Watt won best pass rusher too. That's 3 awards won already and still not the official one.

Don't worry about any jinx ;)

18. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

THE DPOY announcement is this Saturday night.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It was funny as heck to watch him this morning on The Dan Patrick Show (best nationally syndicated show going). You could tell he was getting a little pissed. They've had a bunch of current and former players read their reports this week. Even Drew Brees was getting fired up reading his today.

But to hear JJ read one that he would never be a good pass rusher in the NFL was hilarious.