1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The all-encompassing Carlos Correa thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 6, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even more amazing is that he had the same sort of game just 3 games ago (in game 4 of the playoffs, which is excluded from the above timeline criteria).

Guarantee, he's the only player in history to have TWO of those sorts of games at his age... ever.

2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

20 years, $100M, and 50% equity of the team.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He is the best Carlos since Delgado.

4. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

pretty sure none of the other majority/minority investors would go for that. Sorry Bernie, this ain't your fight.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know this is probably in jest...but there is a decent chance that he gets a $500M contract when it is all said and done. Astros sold for $680M which included equity in CSN-H. That contract might not be enough.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They would if they all make more money off of it... their investment/franchise is worth a lot more with a guy like Correa as the face of it.

But yeah, its largely impossible to hand over 50% of something that is not entirely owned outright by another individual, plus I'm sure its a violation of the CBA to hand over partial ownership as part of contract negotiations.

7. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Haha tough crowd. Yes, my comment was made in jest. And what is crazy is that I thought about the exact same thing as you, that it's probably not enough!

Also, not directed to you, but let's please keep politics out of a Carlos Correa thread. Mr. Correa deserves better than that. There's also a forum for that!

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Watt
    Correa
    Harden

What a great time for Houston sports.

9. bobrek

At least Correa and Watt play defesne.

10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

You could buy out their stake but giving that much equity is nearly impossible. First you have to get the 50% from the existing stakeholders and there are a lot of owners of this Astros club. Then you'd have to arrange a buy out (would be based on future projects--each owner will want their 10X return--hampering the current ownership since its not an outright sale) and even then, 50-50 split would most likely make Correa the majority minority owner (unless Crane keeps all the other 50%) and now a 20-something year old is also potentially making all ownership decisions for a business that he has no clue on how to run? (not saying he would, but as a 50% stakeholder, he sure could!). What if he sucks at business or forces bad decision making or appoints his mom chairman...what if he gets injured and isn't the same player,and thus the future revenues projected from having him playing on the team go away...what happens to your valuation then? There are a lot of reasons why this is a bad bad idea. Let the Spankees offer him that! (imagine owning half of the Yankees! ha!)

And YES, I get this was 'in jest' (although OP on this topic then goes on to say he doesn't think he's offering enough!) and no, I don't really care if I've offended your political sensibilities--not my intention but I'm also not one to sensor myself.

11. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Carlos Correa sucks at nothing.

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Absolutely the greatest...

Watt - in the playoffs
    Correa - in the playoffs
    Harden - in the lottery

13. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Oh please, JJ Watt was on the team that landed us Clowney.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Correa will be on E:60 tonight.

https://vimeo.com/164468999

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/164468999" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He went through a little lull. Sophmore slump, regular slump, adjustment period, whatever you wanna call it. On May 28th his OPS had dropped all the way down to .721, so much so that Hinch decided he probably needed a day to clear his head.

He hit a pinch HR in his next game, and over his last 26 games has posted an OPS around 1.080, scored 17 times and driven in 27. On top of that after an extremely shaky start (which had me concerned) his defense has been exceptional, so much so his defensive metrics have adjusted all the way back to basically being neutral, which is huge given how poorly they were to start the year.

So yeah, he's pretty good.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Decent 2016 for Los... maybe he blossoms extra next season.

Nice to see this on MLB Network

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Fake. Everybody knows that Correa only hits HRs to the opposite field. ;)

18. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

19. bobrek

Correa and Watt don't play defense?

20. Fantasma Negro

James Harden plays defense, don't go for the media okie-doke.