1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Affordable Care Act: Who Was Helped Most

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Major

Major Member

That's not what your initial statement claimed. You challenged the basic assertion that it helped ANYONE. And then you claimed you were sure it helped people. You seem to make up things as you go.

But beyond that, there are all sorts of people who have been helped in all sorts of different ways, some financial, some in other ways (like eliminating job lock).

2. Major

Major Member

You don't have much experience with poor people, do you?

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

What it does not detail is who bears the burden of cost for this group, them or the tax payer. Care to guess if the groups identified are contributing to their own healthcare or not? This is the age group that is supposed to bear the burden of cost for the older newly-insured. Seems unlikely to me.

It's a disaster for the young people that will have to bear the burden of this cost when they grow up. My children.

But hey, the insurance companies are winning!!! Woot!!!

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have plenty of experience with poor people, which is why I know that having an insurance policy they can't afford to use doesn't help them. Also, if we're talking about poor people, there's lots of them that got put on part time as a result of the ACA. The whole "Congratulations, you get to buy a health insurance policy, also your hours will be cut from 40 to 25, aren't you excited!" might not be something you know about, but I know quite a few poor people who had to deal with that.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What's with all the semi-colons in the original article?

6. Major

Major Member

Except it does. Because if you actually knew poor people, you would know that they do get sick. And they do use medicine. And they do go to doctors and ERs. Sometimes they have babies and have to pay to get them delivered. Other times, they have kids that get sick, and those kids have to go to doctors. And each of those things is made cheaper by having insurance. Besides, the penalty of not having health insurance is virtually nothing for the poor, so if they are choosing to purchase it, it means they feel it benefits them. Please do not pretend you have actual experience with these people, because you clearly are quite clueless. Like your original skepticism that ACA helped anyone, you appear to just be making things up as you go.

That's odd, since the employer mandate hasn't even taken effect yet.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This argument is stupid and one side clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.

No "poor" person is forced to buy insurance under ACA. If they have a low enough income to be classified as poor then are almost assuredly exempt from the individual mandate anyway.

If they go ahead and choose to have insurance, the "poor" will either get medicaid or a subsidy/cost sharing program big enough to seriously reduce their actual costs to where they are benefiting. Except in Texas where there is a gap between Medicaid and the ACA subsidies (and other states where the governors elected not to expand Medicaid.)

You can certainly make arguments against ACA (which I have done and will continue to do so) but you can't argue that the poor are forced to pay for an insurance plan they can't afford to pay for and can't afford to use.

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't confuse Bobby with the factual (but inconvenient) details of how the ACA is actually structured.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

How many people in Western Asia, Middle East, and Northern Africa have health care benefits?

10. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Its like the Subprime borrowing situation

X is the supply of healthcare and Y is the demand

X is the same but Y just skyrocketed.

So X makes more money: Who is X?

Physicians have more patients, Healthcare companies, medical billing companies, electronic medical records etc.

Instead of reducing the STRANGLEHOLD on X, the supply of healthcare in which if in abundance, prices will fall, we've increased demand.

Now the healthcare industry will continue to make Millionaire Dentists in the Ghetto, Clinics and Surgery Centers and more 1%er doctors all as the rest of society pays more. Of course its what has been going on for years.

Its crony, cartel capitalism at its finest!

11. g1184

g1184 Member

did Y skyrocket, or did Y stay the same and move from the ER to the general practitioner's office?

12. Major

Major Member

I understand the theory here, but total demand for health care doesn't necessarily increase from the ACA. Those people that didn't have insurance were still getting health care before - just often in inefficient ways. In some cases, they would just use the ER. In others, they waited until the situation was much worse and required much more complicated care. So you might have an uptick in demand for PCPs, but then hopefully that prevents deeper problems and reduces demand for the ER and some other areas of health care. If you see a PCP over the course of years and that prevents you from getting a heart attack down the line, you don't necessarily have an increase in demand for health care or increase profits for doctors.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i was content with my plan and was told it was being discontinued due to costs related to the affordable care act.

obama said if we liked our plan we could keep it.

and for the record, my rates increased at a much higher rate during the bush years than the obama years (at least before the ACA passed).

i didnt...it would be unrealistic to expect that.

i dont remember off-hand - i had different insurance and they left texas so i went to blue cross blue shield - probably 4 or 5 years ago.

most friends i know who did not have insurance before are considering just paying the fine instead of signing up...they still cant afford what is being offered.

14. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I agree with the point.

It is about incentives and the system is set up to reward procedures and not patient health, but we simply don't have enough healthcare providers which caused prices to skyrocket in the first place which lead to the problem that got us here.

Healthcare is Overpriced relative to the Value it Provides:

If someone had a restaurant that served burgers and had lines out the door and was overpaying, then someone would open up a burger joint next door and the competition would drive prices down for consumers. Our system is not a free flowing system but subject to tremendous union style cartels that eat into the purchasing power of every consumer.

Many physicians work on contracts to service a group of patients on a fixed fee, but many physicians will not take those contracts as they can see multitudes of patients without it and make much more. This drives the fees higher to the companies when there should be many people willing to take the job.

We need at least double the number of Physicians in this country and eventually entrepreneurial corporate America needs to be able to efficiently manage the healthcare system instead of individual inefficient offices in which there are no policies and procedures to reduce the number of excess procedures that are done.

That will be the great deflator of healthcare prices. Un-natural oligopolies based on regulation really is unfair to Americans.

15. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

So do you think that Government sponsored healthcare will make entering the healthcare industry more appealing for students or less?

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wasn't this a statement a minor b****storm like circa spring 2013? Welcome to 2014 Joseph.

Obviously that statement is qualified by a number of events - the insurer still offering the plan, the insurer still being in business, you not being dead, a giant band of lake pirates and twitter urban youth not kidnapping you.

President Obama failed to predict the future of your specific circumstance with 100% accuracy - I feel for you, and so do the rest of us, but get over it.

PPACA is about a lot more than you, bro.

17. Major

Major Member

Assuming you got your plan before ACA passed, then you should blame your insurance company. Your plan was grandfathered in, but they chose to cancel it - nothing the government can do there.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

unless the ACA is the catalyst for the insurance plan being cancelled.

#58 tallanvor, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  19. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

The Republicans were delusional thinking that healthcare was fine the way it was. Their sucking up to the lobbying groups of Physicians and the AMA now has them hoisted by their own petard. Healthcare inflation and spending has been atrocious and many families go bankrupt for routine procedures.

Healthcare inflation since 1980 has been atrocious at over 300%, only lower to educational inflation.

I'm not saying like some very left wing people that universal healthcare is an American right, but we have the right not to be overcharged and for competition to come in on all fronts and provide better services at lower prices.

So many people want to be doctors and they should be able to, it shouldn't be this dwindling number of people relative to the percentage demand needed. Want proof just look at med school acceptance rates? They've plumetted as they're being overrun with applications. Let people follow their dreams which will in turn reduce the costs to all Americans for healthcare.

The ACA is a byproduct of a healthcare system gone awry. Prices that are horrendous, service that has horrific incentives and a small cache of people that are protecting their services which drives prices up.

Break the Doctor's Union and free Americans to affordable healthcare.

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i remember that lake pirates thread! that was from like 5 years ago so for you to still be thinking about it means it must have left quite a scar...cant say i blame you though - you had quite the meltdown there.

i was pretty much spot on with my assumptions of what happened whilst you were completely and totally wrong, and despite people telling you how off-base you were you kept digging yourself deeper and making a bigger fool out of yourself.

classic samuel.