1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2024 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

IBTL, Stephen66 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Radricky

Radricky Member

Yeah I agree.
    They’re hoping it heals and are just delaying the inevitable.

3. Buck Turgidson

4. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Bags

Houstunna likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when everyone was NUT SLOBBIN' over the Orioles? They are only 5-4 so far. Yes, it's early. But let's pump the ****ing brakes on calling them WS champs and best of the AL.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Slacker hasn't had a hit in 20 years

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd just like to point out that this was being said about the Astros after they were 5-4 in 2017. Maybe the Orioles falter, but I'm going to guess they are going to be a f#$%ing great team for a while. Winning a WS is tough (i.e., I hear more about them being them being WS champs from people knocking them than I do from their supporters), but I'm guessing they win the most games out of the AL East teams over the next 5 years. I'd consider that an amazing feat if it happens considering the Yankees have a ton of money.

Nick likes this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

They'll falter. Let's pray.

J.R. likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They could probably field a "won't finish in last place" MLB team with their yet to be promoted prospects.... they're stacked.

But as Joe said, a lot of things do have to go right for championships to happen. As stacked as the 2017 Astros were (both on the majors and with prospects yet to be promoted), they win nothing without a 2nd deadline trade for JV, along with an oft-injured veteran pitcher finding a new gear (Morton).

How the Orioles manage their prospects via promotion/trades is going to be a big part of the "luck" involved in winning titles.

InTheGroove, Snake Diggit and IBTL like this.
  10. Screaming Fist

this lineup, oh my

ryan_98 likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pretty brutal, although Lee has hit very well in his extremely small 2024 sample.

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

13. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

We should have traded Framber and Bregman for him when we had the chance

ryan_98 and Radricky like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

MLB Pitchers needing Tommy John Surgery

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Radricky

Radricky Member

Monty fired boras

17. phasors28

phasors28 Member

If the Astros aren’t winning it, I’m rooting for the Orioles to beat the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Mariners

IBTL and jim1961 like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

O's are fun to watch

Radricky likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am all for those teams losing to anybody and everybody.

phasors28 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

End all YouTube-only, Apple-only, Peacock-only games

MLB expects to continue the Sunday morning games, known on Peacock as “MLB Sunday Leadoff,” with a new service, according to an executive briefed on the negotiations. The executive said the league and an unnamed platform are closing in on an agreement, which would begin this season. The executive declined to identify what service because negotiations were not finalized.

Last year, Peacock’s 19-game schedule began on April 23. MLB has flexibility when it can start with the new entity, which will likely result in a later first airing of games. Peacock has had the package for two seasons.

Comcast/NBC, which runs Peacock, remains interested in a deal but for less than the $30 million per season it previously paid, according to executives with knowledge of the negotiations. Talks have been stagnant.

ESPN pays $550 million per season for first-round playoff games, “Sunday Night Baseball” and the All-Star Break’s Home Run Derby. After the 2025 season, ESPN has an opt-out of its contract, which it is expected to use to negotiate a lower rate or additional programming or to escape from the deal, according to executives briefed on their current plans.

Fox Sports, which has the World Series, is in the midst of a seven-year deal for around $5.1 billion that runs through the 2028 season. TNT Sports, which has a large MLB playoff package, including a league championship series, also has a deal that runs through 2028 for $470 million per year. Fox has exclusive Saturday games of the week, while TBS — part of TNT Sports — has Tuesday night games, which are often on local TV in home markets.

MLB has exclusive games on Apple TV+ on Friday nights. They are in the third year of a seven-year contract valued at $85 million per season.