1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 12 most annoying types of Facebookers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yo, Aug 23, 2009.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

On the spot. I know people guilty of each one of these.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/20/annoying.facebook.updaters/index.html

(CNN) -- Facebook, for better or worse, is like being at a big party with all your friends, family, acquaintances and co-workers.

Facebook can be a great tool, and an occasional annoyance. What kind of Facebooker are you?

There are lots of fun, interesting people you're happy to talk to when they stroll up. Then there are the other people, the ones who make you cringe when you see them coming. This article is about those people.

Sure, Facebook can be a great tool for keeping up with folks who are important to you. Take the status update, the 160-character message that users post in response to the question, "What's on your mind?" An artful, witty or newsy status update is a pleasure -- a real-time, tiny window into a friend's life.

But far more posts read like navel-gazing diary entries, or worse, spam. A recent study categorized 40 percent of Twitter tweets as "pointless babble," and it wouldn't be surprising if updates on Facebook, still a fast-growing social network, break down in a similar way. Take a CNN quiz: What kind of Facebooker are you? »

Combine dull status updates with shameless self-promoters, "friend-padders" and that friend of a friend who sends you quizzes every day, and Facebook becomes a daily reminder of why some people can get on your nerves. Watch as Facebookers reveal bugbears »

Here are 12 of the most annoying types of Facebook users:

The Let-Me-Tell-You-Every-Detail-of-My-Day Bore. "I'm waking up." "I had Wheaties for breakfast." "I'm bored at work." "I'm stuck in traffic." You're kidding! How fascinating! No moment is too mundane for some people to broadcast unsolicited to the world. Just because you have 432 Facebook friends doesn't mean we all want to know when you're waiting for the bus.

The Self-Promoter. OK, so we've probably all posted at least once about some achievement. And sure, maybe your friends really do want to read the fascinating article you wrote about beet farming. But when almost EVERY update is a link to your blog, your poetry reading, your 10k results or your art show, you sound like a bragger or a self-centered careerist.

The Friend-Padder. The average Facebook user has 120 friends on the site. Schmoozers and social butterflies -- you know, the ones who make lifelong pals on the subway -- might reasonably have 300 or 400. But 1,000 "friends?" Unless you're George Clooney or just won the lottery, no one has that many. That's just showing off.

The Town Crier. "Michael Jackson is dead!!!" You heard it from me first! Me, and the 213,000 other people who all saw it on TMZ. These Matt Drudge wannabes are the reason many of us learn of breaking news not from TV or news sites but from online social networks. In their rush to trumpet the news, these people also spread rumors, half-truths and innuendo. No, Jeff Goldblum did not plunge to his death from a New Zealand cliff.

The TMIer. "Brad is heading to Walgreens to buy something for these pesky hemorrhoids." Boundaries of privacy and decorum don't seem to exist for these too-much-information updaters, who unabashedly offer up details about their sex lives, marital troubles and bodily functions. Thanks for sharing.

The Bad Grammarian. "So sad about Fara Fauset but Im so gladd its friday yippe". Yes, I know the punctuation rules are different in the digital world. And, no, no one likes a spelling-Nazi schoolmarm. But you sound like a moron.

The Sympathy-Baiter. "Barbara is feeling sad today." "Man, am I glad that's over." "Jim could really use some good news about now." Like anglers hunting for fish, these sad sacks cast out their hooks -- baited with vague tales of woe -- in the hopes of landing concerned responses. Genuine bad news is one thing, but these manipulative posts are just pleas for attention.

The Lurker. The Peeping Toms of Facebook, these voyeurs are too cautious, or maybe too lazy, to update their status or write on your wall. But once in a while, you'll be talking to them and they'll mention something you posted, so you know they're on your page, hiding in the shadows. It's just a little creepy.

The Crank. These curmudgeons, like the trolls who spew hate in blog comments, never met something they couldn't complain about. "Carl isn't really that impressed with idiots who don't realize how idiotic they are." [Actual status update.] Keep spreading the love.

The Paparazzo. Ever visit your Facebook page and discover that someone's posted a photo of you from last weekend's party -- a photo you didn't authorize and haven't even seen? You'd really rather not have to explain to your mom why you were leering like a drunken hyena and French-kissing a bottle of Jagermeister.

The Maddening Obscurist. "If not now then when?" "You'll see..." "Grist for the mill." "John is, small world." "Dave thought he was immune, but no. No, he is not." [Actual status updates, all.] Sorry, but you're not being mysterious -- just nonsensical.

The Chronic Inviter. "Support my cause. Sign my petition. Play Mafia Wars with me. Which 'Star Trek' character are you? Here are the 'Top 5 cars I have personally owned.' Here are '25 Things About Me.' Here's a drink. What drink are you? We're related! I took the 'What President Are You?' quiz and found out I'm Millard Fillmore! What president are you?"

You probably mean well, but stop. Just stop. I don't care what president I am -- can't we simply be friends? Now excuse me while I go post the link to this story on my Facebook page.

2. Fatty FatBastard

Jim could really use some good news about now.

3. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

the "hude" feature is the best thing with facebook and thats what actually have saved me from not cancel my fb account!!

4. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

I ment "hide"

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nothing is worse than the "LOL OMG ur baby is soooooo cute, call me some time miss u so much hun bye" housewife banter I've come across.

It has made me delete close friends.

6. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

The Bad Grammarian.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Dey Hude! Lets Party!

1 person likes this.
  8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Missing is the NOOB that: doesn't know how to or when to post photos, posts blurry and unusual photos, or posts a question to one friend on the status instead of sending a message like "Hey, Heather, call me at 713-555-555x, I heard Dan just...". :eek: Dummies.

Just today, a "friend" posted photos of her son SIDEWAYS. WTH. :rolleyes:

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Sounds like Twitter.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Twitter is like online text messaging.

11. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Fixed.

12. DreamRoxCoogFan

I'm probably closest to The Lurker

more like I just don't use facebook that often anymore. Especially after baby boomers started getting into it.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I just don't understand the obsession.

Its a website.

I surf it for a few minutes when I'm bored.

I get sick of it within 30 minutes.

I like @dmcfadden20 and @profootballtalk, but thats about it.

14. gwatson86

I think what kills it for me is just the blatant disregard for anything resembling spelling or grammar. It's like everyone on Twitter magically transforms into a 15-year-old Asian girl.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Yo thinks his list is full of win...or is it?

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Are you saying Woody Allen is behind Twitter?

1 person likes this.
  17. gwatson86

Ba-zing!

This theory should not be discounted.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did you also mean "meant"?

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

These sites encourage people over-using it and being more over-connected than they usually are with people. They're practically begging you to do that so they can toss revenue generating gimmicks at you. It'd be like if Clutchfans started adding quizzes, apps, ads, avatars, photos and gift stores to the site, it'd promote all kinds of added wacky usage away from its regular core use.

Also to me all the initial HYPE made it worse (OMG, look at Ashton's tweets hes sooo hiLAR-IOUS! ), like its something you just GOTTA get into. I myself said to that I dont CARE big deal. But after a while I saw that these things can have a particular use and it doesnt take "being hooked" to utilize it.

I still see Facebook and Twitter as lesser evils than Myspace, the old days of chatrooms and that kind of thing. People are pathetic and just dont want to be pathetic alone, is all. Remove all annoyances from people, then we wouldnt be people :)

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Reading through that list begs the question... are there any user that doesn't in some manner fall into the the 12 most annoying types of facebookers?