1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 10 Greatest Countries in the History of the World

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by nappdog, Jun 11, 2006.

1. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/2006/06/10-greatest-countries-in-history-of.html

The 10 Greatest Countries in the History of the World

Yeah, we're childish. But these are exactly the kinds of questions that pop into our head all the time -- especially as Cathy is forcing us to watch Extra or somesuch.

So we decided to put this list together and welcome your input. Here are the ground rules:

1. By "countries," we mean current countries based on current boundaries.

2. Any past accomplishments are credited to the current country; modern Iraq, for example, gets credit for Mesopotamia.

3. Seminal achievements score the biggest points; however, some points are deducted for long periods of backwardness.

4. For our descriptions, our own commentary is mixed with direct pulls from Wikipedia in most cases; we didn't demarcate which was which so it would be easier to read. Just assume it's all borrowed if you'd like.

OK, here we go -- the Top 10, starting with the greatest country in the history of the world:

1. Italy. What can we say? Ancient Rome created what we now call "Western society" -- including our laws, our culture and our religion. After Rome fell and Europe spent 1,000 years in darkness, Italy reclaimed it with the Renaissance. To create a civilization is achievement enough -- but to save it 10 centuries later is truly remarkable.

2. United Kingdom. The dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, the United Kingdom is often credited with being the nation that "created the modern world", by playing a leading role in developing Western ideas of property, capitalism, and parliamentary democracy as well as making significant contributions to literature, the arts, and science and technology. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-quarter of the Earth's surface and encompassed a third of its population.

3. United States. The U.S. is, by any measure, the wealthiest, most powerful and most influential country in the history of the world. Only its brief lifespan keeps it from topping the list. Buoyed by victories in World War I and World War II as the only major power not devastated, and especially after the collapse of the Soviet Union following the Cold War, the U.S. has emerged as the world's sole superpower.

4. China. The once and future superpower. China was one of the earliest centers of human civilization. It has one of the world's longest periods of mostly uninterrupted civilization and one of the world's longest continuously used written language systems. Today, it is the likely successor to the United States as the most powerful country in the world.

5. Greece. Regarded as the cradle of western civilization and being the birthplace of modern democracy, Western philosophy, the Olympic Games, Western Literature, Political Science and drama, including both tragedy and comedy, Greece has a very long and remarkably rich history during which its culture has proven to be especially influential in Europe, Northern Africa and the Middle East. Today, Greece is a developed nation, member of the European Union since 1981 and a member of the Eurozone since 2001.

6. Egypt. The regularity and richness of the annual Nile River flood, coupled with semi-isolation provided by deserts to the east and west, allowed for the development of one of the world's great civilizations. A unified kingdom was founded circa 3200 BC by King Narmer, and a series of dynasties ruled in Egypt for the next three millennia. The last native dynasty, known as the Thirtieth Dynasty, fell to the Persians in 343 BC who dug the predecessor of the Suez canal and connected the Red Sea to the Mediterranean. Later, Egypt fell to the Greeks, Romans, and Byzantines. It was the Muslim Arabs who introduced Islam and the Arabic language in the seventh century to the Egyptians, who gradually adopted both. Unfortunately, it's been pretty much downhill since then.

7. Iraq. The Republic of Iraq sits on land that is historically known as Mesopotamia, which was home to some of the world's first civilizations, including the Sumerian, Akkadian, Babylonian, and Assyrian. These civilizations produced some of the first writing, science, mathematics, law and philosophy in the world, making the region the center of what is commonly called the "Cradle of Civilization". Downhill since then.

8. India. The first known permanent settlements appeared over 9,000 years ago, and gradually developed into the Indus Valley Civilisation, a centre of important trade routes and vast empires. India has long played a major role in human history. Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Ayyavazhi, and Sikhism -- all have their origins in India.

9. Iran. Iran (formerly Persia) has been inhabited by human beings since pre-historic times, centuries before the earliest civilizations arose in nearby Mesopotamia. Following the Islamic conquest of Persia, the country was at the heart of the Islamic Golden Age, especially during the 9th to 11th centuries.

10. Chad.Michel Brunet's 2002 discovery places the origins of humanity here, about six million years ago. Where in Africa life began remains a mystery -- until Brunet, Kenya and Ethiopia were the best theories -- but we'll give Chad credit for being our best guess at the moment.

By our measure, Russia, Japan, France, Germany and a few others just missed out. OK -- who did we miss?

#1 nappdog, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  2. nappdog

I would base my rankings mainly on how countries have influenced the history of mankind. With that said I'll just narrow it down to top three:

1)Italy
    2)USA
    3)Greece

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Oh, the list doesn't have a Western bias, not at all...

4. nappdog

I've thought about that but let's be honest here, by using any reasonable test to judge what "great" means - science, influence, art, culture, innovation, religion - I'd still rank Western countries at the top. Iraq/Mesopotamia would be close to crack the top three but based on the importance of influence towards the world I'd still leave my top three the same.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think Greece should be Number 1. Most of us are Platonists and Aristoteleans if you boil it all down.

Re: Western Bias--The ideas of Democracy and individual rights (not to mention Capitalism) started in the West and remain in the ascendant... that's important to remember.

A decent argument could be made for China, but ultimately, they have been too isolationist in their outlook.

If you really want to get freaky, you could put Great Britain at Number 2 because in addition to the Empire and stuff, that's where Marx did most of his writing.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Italy didn't even exist as an entity until 1861. Before then it was the Two Siclies and the Papal States, Piedmont and a whole bunch of other little nation states.

If you count it’s involvement in the Roman Empire, then shouldn’t that extend to all the other territories of Rome, such as Spain, France, England, Germany, etc?

Also, the ancient Greeks didn't consider themselves Greek. They were Athenian, or Trojan, or whatever and they considered the people of Macedonia, such as Alexander the Great to be barbarians.

The main name that I see missing from the list is the Ottoman Empire. Also the Mongol Hordes, who basically ruled every square inch of Asia.

#6 Ottomaton, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  7. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Also, does great = strongest or does great = most culturally influential?

8. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

To me this is like saying most of us are either tall or short. Ok... no great revelation. What is there besides idealist and realist?

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

1. By "countries," we mean current countries based on current boundaries.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

But are not we all born short yet some of us grow to be tall?

(I don't know what that means... it just sounds profound in an English Major sort of way.)

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

WTF!?!?!??!? Where is TEXAS on the list?

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

This is an interesting list because of this twist.

My question would be if it is the 10 greatest countries in the history of the world then it seem a little weird to give credit to the modern day incarnation of an ancient civilation. Furthermore, to discredit a country because it's current day status is not what it once was dilutes the influence that country once had. Comments like "downhill since" suggests they gets points counted against them. That seems a little odd to me.

Conveniently, because of this twist it allows us to weight America higher than you would otherwise because of its current influence ...despite it's relative short life span compared to EVERY other country on this list. All other countries have been imparting their influence for literally thousands of years whereas America is not even 250 years old.

Age is important because America's advancements would be impossible without the UK. And UK's influence is impossible without Italy. And Italy is impossible without Greece. and so on and so on. I think these lineages are an important factor.

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Not factually correct. The territory controlled by Genghis Khan and his sons in China's Yuan Dynast didn't include South Korean penisula, India, and any of the Indo-China region on the Asian continent.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

does this guy realize the nation state is a modern development?

15. nappdog

I'd say you include both into your decision but I'd say the latter is more influential than the former because nations rise and fall but some cultures - like the Romans or Western ideals- are everlasting.

Never in the history of mankind has there ever been one lone superpower. I'd say that's pretty influential even if it is for a short span of time.

16. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I realize it is a bit of a nitpicking point, but that's what I intended the phrase "pretty much" to cover.

17. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

This list is crap without any mention of hot women from those countries.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think the Israel/Palestine Metropolitan Area should get some credit for Judaism & Christianity. Seems the latter was the Roman Empire's last and best tool for unifying Europe under a common ideology, which probably facilitated trade, education and military strength on massive scale, which may have allowed for long-term hegemony over other cultures, while laying the groundwork for relative stability and/or prosperity in modern times. (You think Africa might be better off with some sort of common, unifying legal, political and moral philosophy for the last 2,000 years?) Of course Italy gets partial credit for this: creating the church bureaucracy, lots of which seem like templates for modern educational, legal and political structures, and sending missionaries throughout europe.

Do the dutch get any credit for their innovations with capitalism and the formation of corporations?

Germans should get credit for their breakaway dialect (english), Diamler-Benz (first internal combustion engine-powered cars), their winter solstice yuletide festival (christmas trees, gifts and holly), and, apparently, OUR space and nuclear programs (Hitler with nukes and satellites would kinda suck). And Fanta, and Sprockets. I was gonna sneak in psychoanalysis and Mozart, but those are Austrian.

19. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

India is #1 i think,

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This list would be better without rankings. Even then it'd be flawed.