1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[the 1%] Obama dines at elite, expensive restaurant for Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 15, 2012.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Splurge...

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2012/02/15/obama-valentines-day-splurge-priced-300/

Obama Valentine’s Day Splurge Priced at Up To $300

by Keith Koffler on February 15, 2012, 8:09 am

President and Mrs. Obama spent Valentine’s Day with the One Percent Tuesday, shelling out up to $300 for dinner for two at the high-end Vermilion restaurant outside of Washington.

Michelle just recently completed a three-day tour of the nation promoting her “Let’s Move” health and fitness initiative, during which she was depicted in a widely circulated photograph passing around a bowl of salad at an inexpensive Olive Garden restaurant.

But the press was not even permitted to take a peek at the Obamas last night as they feasted at one of the Washington area’s trendiest upscale joints.

What’s more, the Obamas warmed the earth a bit as their multi-car, fossil-fuel-burning motorcade roared out of Washington for a 25 minute trip to the Alexandria, Va. restaurant.

On tap for the Valentine’s Day at Vermillon was a special five-course tasting menu priced at $75 per person, with an extra charge of $35 if you wanted wine paired with the offerings.

It’s a fairly safe bet to assume the Obamas went for the wine, which would bring the tab to $110 per person. Add in a nine percent sales tax and 20 percent tip and we’re up to $288 for dinner.

If the Obamas did even a little better than most wealthy diners – this is an election year, afterall – a generous presidential tip, or a few bucks for the busboy, could easily have brought the dinner to $300.

Carfare was all taken care of, courtesy of the taxpayers.

On the tasting menu last night were a host of mouth watering delicacies generally unavailable to the 99 percent, including:

curdo of Virginia fluke with celery-apple remoulade & American caviar;
    Maine lobster tortelloni with marcona almonds, sultanas & curried salsify veloute;
    line caught Chesapeake rockfish with butter poached Virginia oyster and pancetta & spicy “bouillabaises broth; and
    peidmontese beef duo with creamed trumpet mushrooms, potato pancake & black truffle jus.

Dessert was not to be missed, with a choice of passion fruit cheesecake with white chocolate sauce, basil, kiwi & coconut sorbet or chocolate truffle tart with cocoa nib ice cream, cocoa nib tuile & mocha caramel sauce. Both were served with assorted petits fours.

I don’t know what some of that stuff is, but I assume two things about the meal: it tasted very, very good, and it will not be featured on the Obama 2012 campaign website.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

wow, $75 a person.

More than a humble playwright could ever dream of.

3. Classic

Classic Member

Feels like a grocery checkout isle tabloid article

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Stimulating the restaurant economy. Good job, Mr and Mrs Obama!

Bigtexx's people will never be happy unless the Obamas only eat at KFC.

#4 Carl Herrera, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's pretty low end for a President.

6. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I make diddly squat but have paid $60/person for special occasions.
    Obama's part of the 1% (so are all other presidential candidates and the vast majority of Congress) and he's never tried to cover that up. And conservatives all of a sudden go ape**** when a millionaire eats at a nice restaurant? Only if they're a liberal. I guess he should've taken Michelle to Chucky Cheese instead.

8. conquistador#11

hopefully he got to see michelle in her new lingerie.

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

he would go to Denny's....but they make him wait too long for a table.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I don't really feell bad for your desperation bigtex...
    [​IMG]

11. False

False Member

I am actually scandalized by the thought that he might have only tipped 20%. Unless the service was bad (doubtful), then I want our president setting a good example and tipping at least 50% on Valentine's day.

I realize that this is real folks, and this is good news for John McCain, but can we keep the restaurant recommendations to the hangout?

12. bigtexxx

Do you think Obama will attack Romney's wealth between now and November?

13. bigtexxx

barf

[​IMG]

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

LOLOLOLOL I stopped reading at $300. Why do people even write about this sht. I am a conservative, and I honestly am ashamed the man only spent $300. Not really, but seriously $300 bucks for V day dinner at a nice restaurant.

1) He is the pres, he isn't taking Michelle to Chili's or Olive Garden.
    2) I have spent 240 on a dinner date, so $300 is not that ridiculous.
    3) Like the lingerie, I am sure he paid out of pocket for dinner. Hell, they may have eaten for free. Even if the state did pay for it...would I give a sht about $300 bucks?
    4) It's Valentine's day, for those of us with a spouse or significant other a nice dinner is appropriate.

I won't vote for Obama, but I certainly won't give a crap about this nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What amuses me is that the President has said on several occasions that he and his wife are part of the 1%. Unlike the tiny-minded critics from the far right, Mr. Obama thinks that high income earners at his level, and at higher income levels, should pay more in taxes than they currently do. Heck, they should pay what was paid under the hero of the GOP, Ronald Reagan. That would be a nice change. The "free ride" under George W. Bush, when the wealthy could delude themselves into thinking that fighting two wars while cutting taxes was a good idea, instead of the idiocy that it was (and never done before in our nation's history), is over, tinytexxx. Time to hop off the bike. Time for you to grow up.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why would we care that a millionaire had a nice dinner with his wife on Valentine's Day? The President can afford it.

17. bigtexxx

The median per capita income in the US is about $500/week take-home. Just to provide some perspective.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

horrible thread will NOT read again

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a hilarious thread. texxx is so incredibly desperate. Obama admits to being in the 1% and has never attacked the 1% for being wealthy.

His only beef is for them to pay their fair share of taxes.

bigtexxx's inability to grasp that concept is hardly surprising.

20. Hightop

Hightop Member

What about that super creepy **** Elizabeth Warren?

Elizabeth Warren Earns $429,000, Worth Millions but Not Part of 1 Percent

Nick Gillespie | January 30, 2012

There's rich and there's really rich. As the poet and well-paid insurance executive Wallace Stevens supposedly once said, "There's a difference between appreciating art and owning it."

So take pity on Harvard's Elizabeth Warren, the scold of the 1 Percent who is currently running for the Senate in Massachusetts after getting hosed by the Obama administration. Warren is widely credited with pushing for the creation of a Consumer Financial Protection Agency that would simplify credit offerings so that all of us idiots who bought houses we couldn't afford could blame somebody else. Faced with opposition from Republicans, Obama tossed Warren aside as the first hea of the CFPA.

Buzzfeed reports that Warren, like Marie Antoinette and Bruce Springsteen, only likes to play poor:

“I realize there are some wealthy individuals – I’m not one of them, but some wealthy individuals who have a lot of stock portfolios" she told [MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell].

Hard to see how Warren wouldn't be, by most standards, wealthy, according to the Personal Financial Disclosure form she filed to run for Senate shows that she's worth as much as $14.5 million. She earned more than $429,000 from Harvard last year alone for a total of about $700,000, and lives in a house worth $5 million.

She also has a portfolio of investments in stocks and bonds worth as as much as $8 million, according to the form, which lists value ranges for each investment. The bulk of it is in funds managed by TIAA-CREF.

Making a ton of dough - she's well into the 1 Percent of income earners based on her salary alone - doesn't mean she can't understand with special care the problems of the rest of us.

But it's worth pointing out that Warren is in fact out of touch with those for whom she claims to speak. She consistently says that folks "didn't know the deal" when they signed up for credit cards that charged interest on balances, mortgages that required monthly payments, or loans that charged interest. She is the embodiment of a paternalist (maternalist?) who thinks that jes' plain folks are dolts who are always getting screwed by mustache-twirling bankers that exist mostly in the imagination of Faulkner's Jason Compson. Hence, her longstanding desire to "simplify" the offerings of financial institutions down to a few types of loans, all of which can be read "by the average American" in a couple of minutes.

It may be quaint for a Harvard prof to want to help the great unwashed, but if she seriously thinks that people overextended on houses and more because they didn't understand their credit terms, she's fighting the wrong battle and we'll all be the poorer for having fewer credit options.

And for those of us who don't make $429,000 a year, or live in $5 million homes, or have as much as $8 million in stocks and bonds, that's not good.