1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That was a defensive masterpiece.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Mar 26, 2019.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

Man preach... how you gonna reach for MVP and be outplayed vastly by midget Bledsoe on both ends. Harden did his usual jogging into the paint but Bledsoe was freakin blockin him off the backboard. I was literally hoping he would go so hard back at him, hell, i would be more fond if hed catch a tech for bullying Beldsoe. But he did nothing

RocketRed4life likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I though the Bucks played defense like a JV girls basketball team. That scheme looked easy to beat but our guys are so tuned in to only sticking to what they do that they looked completely lost.

Pop's team would have beat that scheme by 40.

It worked against us, so sure, great coaching by them, but man... that was honestly NOT a difficult look to beat.

3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Even if you have the best defensive players in the world, if you lose a 7 game series because the whole team outside of one guy cannot hit wide-open shots then thats not a championship team and the General Manager needs to re-evaluate his approach.

In the playoffs match-ups are a series, it's not a game. You can lose one game due to your whole team being off & missing wide-open shots. But if you're a professional level player and you can't sink wide open undefended shots in the spots that you feel 'comfortable' being in through a 7 game series then you're not a professional level player. Defended shots is one thing, off the dribble shots is another, but being given wide open undefended shots in the spots you like and then not being able to connect through a series is inexcusable.

The whole purpose of offensive schemes is to get players open looks. It is tough to do. A lesser talented team who plays team ball to find open shots can beat a higher talented team who plays selfishly and takes contested shots. If James is doing what he did last night-- setting his team-mates up like that.. there isn't a better offense then that. If the players can't connect in a series, then the team outside of that one shot creator needs to be completely restructured because with that team- thats as good as they can get.

#103 Realjad, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    harold bingo and bmelo like this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We were 19-60 on uncontested field goals and had 5-7 very avoidable turnovers.

We beat ourselves.

5. Realjad

Exactly. Thank you.

harold bingo likes this.
  6. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Houston took over 50 3 pointers
    Not to discredit MIL but looks like Houston hits missed wide open shots IMO

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

The whole purpose of small ball is being able to shoot with your pf atleast. Now we have streaky/bad shooter by definition PJ on pf who is exhausting himself guarding much bigger guys. I cant understand that. He should be glue guy at sf with our pf either big enough to grab lots of rebounds and finish or stretch four that Anderson was supposed to be

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

SIXTY? Is that the real number?

9. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

We win consistently because we score in the paint.

They took that away.

You can not wash this away as a poor shooting night.

We have a problem here. We need to get to the rim for this to work.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Realjad

Like.. Faried?

To go one further, Faried was throwing up 3's at the same percentage PJ is too- I know short sample- but it's enough to keep people honest. If Nene is available to play I've always been an advocate for moving PJ to SF and starting Faried at PF with Capela.

I would have like to see what the Bucks would have done last night with Capela and Faried setting that double pick at the top of the key for James Harden.

Even without a Nene I still like the idea of starting Capela and Faried. Take Faried out at around the 6-7 minute mark-- bring Faried back in around 2-3 minute mark while taking Capela out for rest.

#110 Realjad, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    smp likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

According to the second spectrum tracking data.

HP3 likes this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We are last in the nba in points scored in the paint.

Reeko, harold bingo and HP3 like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's still losing.
    If the coach sees that something is not working he should make an adjustment.
    If the threes aren't falling then he should call time out, or switch out cold shooters, or do some pick and rolls.

For example Rudy T use to switch out Kenny Smith for Sam Cassell when Kenny wasn't playing well.

bmelo likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I like how everyone keeps saying that we just missed open 3 point shot.

Fact: We arent a great 3 point shooting team. We just take a whole bunch of them.

15. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

What you are saying is that we need a mid range guy, like Melo?

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You are hoping for a player to be injured?

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Even more obvious fact: The Rockets are a FAR better 3-pt shooting team than they were last night, and the Bucks aren't even very good at defending the three in general, and incidentally, the Rockets are one of the best in the league at defending the 3. Objectively, last night was more likely than not a statistical anomaly in terms of how the 3-pt shot went... Unless the Bucks have some secret method for defending wide open 3s.

18. smp

smp Member

Me too.

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yeah i mean Faried is good prototype but i guess he was injuried tonight. Unfortunaty he sucks on perimeter D though and he cant be used against every opponent. But he would be good on Giannis i think.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PJ Tucker and Gerald Green aren't going to win a 3 point contest for sure