1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thanks for NOTHING Chris Simms.....he is holding the UT back

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JBIIRockets, Dec 1, 2001.

1. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Your probably right but I still think Major only plays well when he thinks he isn't the man. He suxed against OK last year, NEB two years ago. The only reason we are any good is because of Mack Brown. You become a great team one season at a time. We will be a great team soon. WE NEED SIMMS NEXT YEAR. WE NEED HIM TO WIN A BIG GAME SO HE CAN WIN THEM NEXT YEAR.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I blame this loss on one person: Chris Simms

IMO, the turning point in the game was when UT was up 7-0 and driving for another score. Then Chris commits the first of his four turnovers.

We never had a chance by the time Major got in the game!

Hearing Chris get booed at Texas Stadium was priceless. It's unfortunate Chris got hurt, but I'm glad Major got into the game cause Brown doesn't have the balls to pull the golden boy no matter how crappy he is playing.

Major deserves to start the Holiday Bowl. You can twist it anyway you like it, Major outplayed Chris. Chris had the benefit of Benson/running game. Major did not.

If Chris won the starting job during Major's injury, Major won it right back tonight.

I don't blame Geiggar. I don't blame the WR's. I don't blame the defense. I don't blame Greg Davis. I don't blame the injuries. I don't blame Mack Brown.

Chris' turnovers cost us a BCS bowl bid. I hope he does go to the NFL. Texas does not need him.

Flame me if you'd like. Call me a Major Cultist, but please include your affiliation to the University before you do so. I'd like to know how to take your opinion.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You know since being here, I have let you guys talk me into thinking that Texas had the team to possibly go to the Rose Bowl. Well, then this game happened. Yea, Simms played terrible, but isn't that also the fault of the coach?

I mean come on, as a non-partial Texas fan, I know that Chris Simms has never won a game that was really important and the same goes for Mack Brown. That game with Nebraska a couple of years ago? Please...with Florida losing, Texas had the perfect opportunity to get into the Rose Bowl. All they had to do was beat a team that they had beaten 41-7 earlier. But what do they do? They choke. I really feel bad for you guys, and I don't mean that to be an ass, but Texas has too much talent to let crap like this happen to them.

I have watched alot of football in my time, and I would really have to go back and think the last time that I can remember a team losing on a roughing the kicker call (okay there was more to it than that play but that play was huge).

You-all complain about Simms, you-all complain about Greg Davis, you-all complain about the guy who ran into the punter, but very few complain about Mack Brown. Isn't he the one who hired Greg Davis? Isn't his job to decide who to start at QB? Funny how they played better with Major (I'm sure shanna loved that).

DaDakota is right on about this. Until UT gets rid of Mack Brown, your team will always recruit well but won't do crap because they are too f***ing tight in the big games. I am disgusted that I even thought that Texas would win this game.

Players will come and go. Some will be more talented than others, but it is the coach's responsibility to make sure that talent performs to its best. It doesn't look like it to me that Mack Brown is able to do that.

I really don't mean to bash Texas, but after tonight's game, I've had it up to here with Mack Brown.

I'm sorry that this happened to your team and I'm disappointed...I was really hoping for a Texas-Miami Rose Bowl.

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

smokey. . . when you're right, you're right.

manny. . . I think you're way off to suggest that UT needs to get rid of mack brown. as far as I'm concerned, mack brown has only made one mistake since he's been the coach at UT; he picked the wrong quarterback to live and die with. there is NO doubt in my mind that UT can and will win a national title with mack brown as the head coach. hell, after tonight, I think I've even been too hard on greg davis. before tonight, I never realized just how right davis has probably been in trying to protect simms' weaknesses as a qb with his conservative play-calling. mack brown will figure it out. of all of mack's UT "big game" losses, I think chris simms was the quarterback of record in all but one of them.

what this loss proved, for the umpteenth time, is that chris simms cannot get the job done in a big game.

though his record is not great, mack has won some big games, especially when his team is the underdog.

simms has never come through in a big game. simms = the problem.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Woodlands Boy-Does it matter what Major did against OU in 2000? Simms didn't torch OU that day either. I don't think Major was why OU scored 63.

Also, what the hell has Simms done against the great teams?

The argument that Applewhite hasn't done anything against great teams can be used MORE against Simms than Applewhite.

6. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

I just don't like the Mack Brown bashing. Simms was the right choice to start all the games. Applewhite should have relieved Simms in the 2001 oklahoma game and this game. Applewhite has great games only when no one expect him to have one. He isn't a big game QB either. He might be better than Simms but we tried with him for 3 years and we didn't win anything. Once you fail 3 times your should try the QB with better upside. I don't blame Brown for starting him. He made the incorrect choice but we don't know what would have happened if he would have started Major. Maybe we don't win the first Col game, maybe we don't win at A&M. Chris Simms won those games. There were no reason to think he would have such a poor game.

7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

well i really dont know what to say

It was there and i knew it

CU didnt win this game, we beat ourselves. Mack Brown is not the problem and chris simms has shown a lot of improvement this yr for the most part but tonight just wasnt his night. Im not jumping off his support completely but i will admit im very upset right now. However, we need him for next year so memo to chris and phil.... work with him with nfl qbs in the summer on reading defenses, please.. i ask you

I also think greg davis for the most part did a decent job running plays. Memo to Greg next yr attack, attack attack

Im very dejected right now, but i think we will win a title here soon. Their is too much talent heading to Austin annually not to. Only thing if i were mack is i intensify my pitch for vincent young, that guy would look excellent in a UT uniform.

8. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

When will Longhorn fans learn Mack Brown is nothing more than an excellent recruiter. Don't expect this guy to do nothing more than have a top 20 recruiting class every year, 8+ wins, and losses in any games that matter. He did the same thing in Chapel Hill, and nothng has changed in Texas.

He thought if he could run outside the ACC, and escape Fla State, he would have a better shot at a National title game. BUT, he still somehow manages to choke, despite having talented teams.

You guys might hate hearing this, and disagree,. So before bashing the post, wait two more seasons, and follow his trend more closely.

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I didn't start watching until about the time simms threw the last interception.....but that punt block attempt was the dumbest thing I've seen in a while...ut had the momentum and major was hot....even with simms mistakes ut could have.....should have won that game.

10. Smokey

There's the saying that the ref should not decide the game. Well, the ref in this case really screwed the Horns by giving us the maximum penalty. Had Geiggar only been flagged for 5 yards, I believe CU still would have punted. The 15 yard penalty put CU in FG range with a 1st down. The rest is history.

11. Major

Major Member

<B>. Until UT gets rid of Mack Brown, your team will always recruit well but won't do crap because they are too f***ing tight in the big games. </B>

I agree in the two OU losses and the A&M win, they played the tight, prevent-offense game. However, today, they aired it out all over the field with both Major and Chris. The different was that Major's passes went to UT players. Chris preferred throwing to the players dressed in black & yellow.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

NC State Fan-I'm not so sure about that take. Yes, Mack was FSU's b!tch (Mack's alma mater too) but, he has more NC title hurdles to clear in the Big 12 than the ACC.

OU, Neb, KSU, A&M, CU, and the Big 12 title game.

He moved from UNC to go to a football-first school like UT.

Not until Mack left did UNC get the facilities that are half decent.

I don't think it was a case of Mack avoiding FSU. It had more to do with upgrading schools.

With that being said, Mack will never be known as a great coach.

He's one of the top 5 recruiters nationally with Bowden and Fat Phil Fulmer.

13. MManal

MManal Member

I have been a huge backer of Chris Simms for a while, but tonight was real tough to take. I am leaning towards agreeing with Smokey on this one, Simms may be the problem here. In any reasonably important game that is not played in Austin, Simms is creating 3 and 4 turnovers. However, I still dont think Mack Brown made a bad decision in starting Simms. I felt all along that UT could be good with Applewhite but not win the big games. The issue I had with the guy was that he was unable to scramble and get out of adverse situations. The two games that all the Applewhite supporters conveniently forget which shook by belief in him were the loss in Kyle Field year before last and the bowl game loss to Arkansas. I still remember in those games that Applewhite would wait and wait and wait in the pocket only to get sacked. Before anyone blames Simms for not being able to pull it out against the Aggies after Major blew out his knee, just remember that Simms had almost zero experience and was thrown to the wolves in a very hostile environment. Dont bring up any excuse that the Aggies had too much emotion b/c of the bonfire collapse, Texas should have won that game.

Bottom line is that I dont think Major wouldve led this team to a title, so Simms was worth a shot. Its blatantly obvious now that Simms wont be able to either, thus the question is, who starts next season? Chance Mock?

14. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Well I can't wait to hear the excuses Jeff Ward and Ed Clements will have tomorrow on KLBJ. Should be great. They so much remind me of Portland fans "next year!".

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

UT Fans-
    You seem to have the same problem my Buckeys have had for years, a great coach who could recruit with anyone but on gameday he doesn't get it done.
    Mack Bron and John Cooper are both great recruiters, but neither one could win a big game.
    Maybe Mack can change, but we in Buckeye land figured out that Cooper never could.

Also the only reason Simms went to UT was because he was promisedplaying time.

Also there are great college QBs and great pro prospects. Major is a great College QB, he does all the little things and finds a way to win. He doesn't have an NFL caliber arm and will not make it in the NFL (more than likely). Simms is a possible #1 pick in the draft, but that doesn't make him a great college QB.

Major did get screwed this year and I was happy to see him play well.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Let's say Major had started the game. I think Major would have been pulled BEFORE Simms actually did, if Major had made the bonehead plays that Simms did.

He might deny it over and over, but Mack is playing favorites with Simms.

Mack would prefer to have the bettter looking girlfriend who doesn't put out (Simms), over the average looking girlfriend who does put out (Applewhite).

Might not be the best analogy, but I think it works.

;)

17. Smokey

Last night opened a lot of eyes.

People who supported Simms as starter are now realizing he isn't great. He padded his stats vs. weak competition, and allowed the UT defense to carry him on their backs.

I didn't expect this kind of a meltdown though.

Mack could always use the youth and inexperience spin with Chris. Now he can't. The 40,000 UT fans booing the team is evidence that Mack is under a lot of pressure. If Mack starts Simms, and UT loses the bowl game...he will turnoff a lot of people. Clearly Simms doesn't deserve any PT.

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

If Mack STILL insists on starting Simms in the bowl game, and UT proceeds to lose, Mack should be fired instantly.

Recruiting be damned.

19. Band Geek Mobster

I believe Roughing the kicker is when a player hits the kicker and doesn't try to avoid hitting him.

Running into the kicker is when a guy clearly makes an attempt to avoid the kicker and just happens to knock him down.

You can't let a guy jump into the kicker after he punts the ball, so I believe the call was right...