1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thanks for NOTHING Chris Simms.....he is holding the UT back

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JBIIRockets, Dec 1, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Mack needs to realize the following.....

Chris Simms is terribly overrated. Chris Simms cost UT a shot at the national championship.

When Chris Simms had "his breakout game" vs A&M last year at DKR, A&M was not at full strength. Simms benefited from that.

This year, Simms put up some big numbers, but they were against bad teams......

OSU, Kansas, Houston, Missouri, Baylor.......

but yet, he gets so much credit and praise

And when the Longhorns beat OK teams in Tech, North Carolina, and Colorado........it was the defense who won those games, not Chris Simms......and the game were at home...and in the case with Colorado.....they had some players out.

Against UNC, the defense scored first.......against New Mexico State...it was the defense who put Chris Simms with great field position to start the first offensive posession......

When Simms played against Oklahoma he throw three or four INTs.....and,,well, what a surprise.....the Horns lost to a GOOD team

When Simms played against Oregon last year, he throw two or three picks

When Simms played Against A&M, this year, he was below average....A&m shold have picked him off a few times.......Simms did not do anything special....it was Benson who carried the Horns to victory, with two late TDs....

Simms' throwing release is so damn slow, it gives the defender that split second of time to jump in front of the receiver and intercept the pass.....

....and when he gets pressure from the opposing team's d-line....it seems like it is just a matter of time until he loses the football.......

And as for Mack Brown: what the hell are you thinking with the punt rush.....you have to play that conservatively.....who cares if The Horns get the Ball at the 1 yard line.......

Botton Line: If Chris Simms is the #1 quarterback next year, with Applewhite gone...UT is going nowhere fast.......

UT has a ton of talented players, but not at the position that matters
    most.

And I will end with this:

I was at the TX-OU game this year, and I sat next to an OU fan that said the following......

"I sure hope Simms does not get hurt because Applewhite could really do some damage against us."

Simms is a good guy, but being nice does not win games.

Chance Mock baby!

#1 JBIIRockets, Dec 1, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2001
  2. JBIIRockets

Headline should read

"he is holding UT back"

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'm sure The Cat will try to covert Simms' crappy performance to one of the great QB'd games he's ever seen.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't blame Simms, I blame Mack Brown.

The difference between Simms and Applewhite is this:

Simms goes to the line of scrimage, snaps the ball and looks to see who is open.

Applewhite goes to the line of scrimage, looks at the defense and KNOWS who is going to be open.

I simply can not believe that they went after that punt with 4 minutes to go and your team trailing by 6 points. Barnett makes a bonehead call with that trick play and then Brown does too.

This was one of the worst coached games I have ever seen, from both sides.

DaDakota

PS. I firmly believe that UT wins the national championship THIS year if Applewhite played all year.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Uh, Brown's blunder counted for what, 3 points and a few minutes of clock time? Sure, that hurts, but Simms and his hype gave the game to CU.

Christmas came 24 days early in Boulder. I guess it's Hanukkah.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

LMAO. I think the whole board is waiting to hear The Cat's take on all this.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

With all due respect to Cat, I will yank my hair out if he still insists that Major is inferior to Golden Boy.

It seems like 99% of Simms supporters think he's better because he's the starter. Mack is the greatest coach of all-time after all right? At least, greatest coach to not win a conference title...

Mr. February and Golden Boy had a great shot at proving naysayers like myself dead wrong. But as usual, they choked.

Too bad the Oilers aren't still around so they can hire Mack as coach and bring in Simms to be the QB. They would have been a perfect fit for the Oilers.

Good grief.

8. haven

haven Member

I didn't even remember Applewhite being that good. Terrific game.

Let him play in the bowl game!

I've never seen a team be that obviously better than the other and still lose. Texas completely outplayed CU and still lost. And don't tell me "but they forced interceptions!" Nope, Simms just made awful decisions.

And yes, I know Simms really screwed up. Yeah, I know he played for Texas. It's just hard when Texas played SO MUCH BETTER than CU except for CU.

And every break went against them. Benson gone, Williams gone... jeez. Oh well, wasn't there day.

At least they'll murder Washington in the Holiday Bowl :).

9. JBIIRockets

DaDakota

How can you not blame Simms. He put Texas in a hole.

Actually Brown should be blamed also, no doubt.

But Simms was the bigger problem. He has no clue out there. Apple did a much better job of containing the blitzes than Simms.

Simms is just not a good player. He should not be the quarterback of the Texas Longhorns.

As Jim Mora would say.

"SIMMS GAVE AWAY THE FREAKIN GAME."

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Chris Simms absolutely, completely, and totally cost this team the game. When he left after 4 turnovers, the game was all but out of reach. He had given Colorado 4 touchdowns, and injured 2 of our best players who were trying to make a tackle on an interception return. The way Major led the team back was nothing short of miraculous. Imagine if he didn't have dropped passes and mis-reads by his wide receivers. Still, somehow Major put this team in a position to win. All we needed was a TD drive with 4 minutes left, and we'd have probably been in the national championship game.

Then the dumbass punt block attempt. Game over. So I'd say that the Buffalos should give game balls to both Simms and Brown.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Haven-Well, CU knew how to mess with Simms. Blitzing and changing the coverage before the snap.

Not enough teams did that against UT this year, and not coincedentally, Simms played his best when teams would sit back.

CU took the bull by the horns (no pun intended) and was able to get to Chris.

12. JBIIRockets

For those of you that will blame injuries for this loss, you know with Cedric Benson and Mike Williams going out for the rest of the game........well, guess when it happened.........

...on the same play as one of Simms' interceptions.

Benson and Williams collided as CU was running back an interception.....

AS a result, that was Chris Simms's fault also.

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Some will blame the loss on Sloan's drop in the end zone.

I guess that negates the stupid call by Barnett.

14. Timing

Timing Member

As much as I felt Chris Simms was a fraud as a big time QB even before tonight, this game is not entirely his fault. Mack Brown has had this guy for 3 years now and he should know what he can and can't do out there. Mack lets Simms throw that ball around the stadium and that might work on chump teams like Kansas and U of H but good teams aren't going to let Simms just stand there and throw to wide open receivers all game long. Good teams force quarterbacks to make plays and Simms has never shown that he can do that. So before railing on Simms, give Mack his fair share of blame for knowing, or maybe not knowing, what kind of player he has and formulating the offense around that knowledge. Cedric Benson is the real stud on that offense.

Also, I find it completely hilarious that some of you are saying Colorado should be thankful of this, lucky for that, etc. If anyone has been lucky or should have been thankful this season it's been Texas and their cake schedule. Colorado absolutely stomped Nebraska and just now dropped 39 points on UT and ran for 225 yards on that scary Texas defense and it's speedy super human linebackers. Colorado deserves all the credit in the world.

#14 Timing, Dec 2, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2001
  15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Timing-Great point regarding UT and luck.

They had the freaking table set for them today, with UF losing. Last week they had OSU beat OU just to play in the game that they would ultimately choke in.

I will say CU got lucky in the game, but UT fans have no room to b**** about bad luck.

Also, how many injuries did UT have with its starters? I don't recall many, if any, starters missing games due to injury.

Not until Ced and Mike Williams got hurt, did UT really deal with injuries.

16. DaDakota

I blame Brown because he named Simms the starter without Simms ever earning it.

Clearly Simms has a better Arm, and is taller then Major, but the thing that Major has is smarts.

He just is a VERY good college QB.

Simms never...and I mean NEVER looks off a receiver.

DaDakota

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Well he looks them off when he has to turn his head to watch the defender run the other way down the field.

18. Nomar

Nomar Member

Major is clearly the better Quarterback.

Hell, why not start Chance Mock. Id say his 506.2 QB rating qualifies him.

(thats actually his real QB rating. ;) )

19. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Major doesn't even making it through the year with his knees if he starts. He is a great backup QB. Simms needed to start. Major has suxed many times in the past. He would have cost us a different game if he would have started all our games. WE WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN HERE WITH MAJOR.

20. DaDakota

Woodlandsboy,

I disagree, with this pancake schedule, Major would have done just fine.

Major is a better QB, but Simms WILL be better in about 4 years in the NFL.

DaDakota