1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank You Les: Finally you respect the fans Intelligence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 18, 2007.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Finally Les is listening to the fans. Jeff Van Gundy was a mistake that should have never happened. Finally Les realizes the error in his decision and is correcting it. Van Gundy is gone and I know there are some Van Gundy lovers that will hat the Rockets but so be it. Les should have done this a year ago but better late than never. I know I don’t speak for everyone but many Rockets fans are happy to see Jeff go and I’ll give you my reasons why. First off I don't think Van Gundy is the genius that everyone claims him to be. I do however think he retains information very well. Which when you consider how much he is constantly studying the game he has retained a load of information.

This explains his highly effective defense. It was based on effective defensive strategies from the past. When he finds something that works he implements it and pounds it into his team heads. That's where his statements like, "if they just do what they are told it would work", come from. Now this is mostly good when you are talking about defense but he tried this on offense and it failed miserably with Francis who finally just did his own thing and won us a game against the Lakers and also with Tmac who after starting off the season so poorly called him into his office and basically gave him a greenlight to take over the offense and run it as he saw fit and then things changed.

This was most apparent in the Francis Era and early TMac days. He continually preached no 1 player is greater than the whole and pass the ball around until you find the open man. Executing the offense as designed is what he demanded and it failed miserably. His philosophy may have worked in college or high school but in the NBA this is a league of stars. And when you have a player like Yao or Tmac you pound the ball into them and wait for the double teams to arrive and then find the open guy. It took 2 years for him to get that about Yao and he still never fully got it.

Now this brings me to problem #1 and that is, Van Gundy is not an innovator. He isn’t a new thinker most of what he coaches is based on watching what others are doing successfully and then super sizing it. Once he decides on something that he believes will work, he marries it. And to his credit he gets the team to buy into it. The problem is he doesn’t have an original thought so when something stops working he has to go back to the bat cave and try to find another method.

Which brings me to problem #2, he can’t think on the fly and because of this he is inflexible. People constantly said Van Gundy is inflexible. But it really is more about problem # 1, he doesn’t have an original thought so when he does come across a system and it is working he insists on sticking with it through thick and thin. He is smart enough to know if something is working you stick with it but the problem when something was not working he didn’t have a clue. He couldn’t think on the fly because he didn’t have an original thought and is afraid to try something or someone else that he is not sure will even work.

Problem #3 is the result of 1 and 2. Because he wasn’t an innovator and couldn’t think on the fly when things weren’t going right he didn’t know what to do which caused him an extreme amount of stress. After losses he would blame it on the team as not working hard enough but reality what he really should have been saying is I don’t what else to do to make us play better. The bigger the game the bigger the stress. In the playoffs the stress was even more apparent to the point where he didn’t look happy even after a win. And with the playoffs being a stressful situation for all and the team needing a calming force to guide them through the rough road JVG was Jeff Van Chaos. He looked miserable almost all the time at the end and could not help the team as guiding force when it counted most. Instead he became a miserable man to be around.

Problem #4 is Jeff Van Gundy truly is Jeff Van Grumpy. Don’t piss him off or you will quickly be in his doghouse and his doghouse has a long memory and only one way doors that don’t lead out. Never in all my years of watching basketball have I seen a coach have so many problems with so many players so quickly over so short a time. This is the guy who preached all season long for the sake of the team, for the sake of the team yet he is so inflexible even when it would help the team and possibly give the team a better chance at winning. While other teams lowered their rotations for the playoffs out of choice, Van Gundy did it out of necessity. Those 8 guys that played in the playoffs were the only players not in the doghouse who didn’t suck.

In spite of what some fishy people on this board might say I tried to accept JVG as the Rockets guy but every time a cut him some slack he would eatit all up. Jeff Van Gundy is a coach whose time has past. If your pg is shooting 0’fer 3 quarters and you think to let someone else shoot it’s passed you, if your center is on the floor diving for loose balls and the rest of the team is standing around watching then it’s past you, if you can’t get along with half your team and you trade away Nachbar, James and dump Bonzi and refuse to play anyone outside of your inner circle it’s passed you. So whatever the reason for Les not seeing the obvious in this case it is most definitely better late than never. No hard feelings to JVG I wish him well but it's a good day for the future of Rockets BBall!!!

2. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Here here! 5 star thread! Les handled the situation great and I'm behind him 110%! :cool:

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

SNORT! I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but since I have both of the two people that commented on this thread on ignore...it says nothing

;) guess I need to look at who posted the thread topic more often!

4. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

The main thing is NOT that we are happy. We are happy ONLY if we win.

The more important thing is will TMAC/YAO be happy? Will they adjust their games to Adelman's schemes.

Can't wait for this free flowing up-tempo offense! Yao will finally be free to run and gun! :p

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Best thing Les could do

now if he has the ability to bring in Bibby, Artest, Jefferson, Barnes etc :eek: :D

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

Agree all.

I am wondering what Les's opinion is on JVG. Does he have the same reasons as we have here?

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the same intelligent fans that think we can trade Head and Juwon Howard for the Celtics number one?

i can't wait to read all the complaints about the new coach.

8. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

If I were Les, I would've have traded Yao and Tmac for draft picks/young players with talent. Then I would have fired JVG and brought in Tom Thibideux to coach with explicit directions to tank the 2007-2008 season to secure at least a top 3 draft pick. Then in 2008 offseason I would fire Tom Thibideux and rehire JVG.

9. Nero

Nero Member

They took turns - one was under the desk while the other typed - then they switched positions.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The JVG doom and gloom era is over, bring on the next guy !

DD

11. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Well put Old Man Rock. You have trumpetted my thoughts exactly. This needed to be said for the members out there that thought the Rocket fans who didn't like JVG disliked him no reason.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Who exactly do you want them to bring in? you know, just in case, the same problems persist and see if you'll complain about it.

13. deshen

deshen Member

This should happen two years ago when JVG brought his old players into this team. At that time, I knew he was not the right one for us. However, he is still a good coach, just not fit with rockets.

14. DaDakota

I like:

Rudy T, Rick Adelman, PJ Carlisimo, Del Harris & a few others.

I despise JVG and LB.

I will support whomever they bring in......unless they start screwing up.

:D

DD

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Please don't confuse me with you and your daddy.

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Yay! A new coach who still has Rafer and Hayes as his best options for their perspective postions and has Battier as the 3rd best player on the team.

But thankfully according to "intelligent fans" Adelman will make Rafer look like Nash and turn Hayes into Ben Wallace. Not only that, he will make Yao quicker and less turn over prone, increase Tracy's 3 point shooting % and reduce both of their injuries. And don't forget that a new coach resets the salary cap to zero, and Spanoulis is a hall of famer being shackled to our bench for no reason that the new coach will play. So now we will definitely be the favorites to win it all next year :rolleyes:

17. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Les has one truth and one reason: $$$$$$$.

18. rocketshopeful

yea. i have a gut feeling you guys will hate the next guy and whine just as much about whoever the next coach is..

btw Adleman was well-equipped with talent in both Portland and Sac. One would be delusional if you think hes going to anything with this group of players (star players especially)..

19. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Fans intelligence - hmmmm.

Maybe we should just leave all decisions for the fans to make - a sort of fanocracy.

So whatever the fans vote each week - that's what should happen.

Who gets minutes - trades - coaching changes. Then the fan's intelligence will be proven victorious!

20. DaDakota

If Rick is hired, I guess we shall see, huh?

DD