1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thabo Sefolosha planning on suing NYPD for $50 million

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by delta69er, Oct 21, 2015.

1. bberge

bberge Member

the outcome of the criminal case doesn't preordain the outcome of the civil case.

In the criminal case, the state had the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that sefolosha engaged in disorderly conduct or resisted a lawful arrest. The jury found that the state didn't meet its burden, but it's entirely possible that the state would have met a lesser burden in a civil case. A juror could have believed that sefolosha was probably guilty but harbored sufficient doubt to acquit.

In the civil case, sefolosha has the burden of proving by a preponderance of the evidence that the police wrongfully arrested him and used excessive force in doing so. Under this standard, the juror above would find for the defense, at least on the wrongful arrest claim.

That said, the not guilty verdict is extremely helpful for sefolosha in the civil case.

2. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Hopefully he loses. Switzerland doesn't need are money.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No need for facts here guys. He will just ignore them then double, triple, and quadruple down on his original thoughts.

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If you talk loudly enough, you drown out rational thought. Welcome to politics.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From Thabo Sefolosha: He has NOT decided to file civil lawsuit. Notice of claim filed months ago as matter of procedure in case decides to.</p>&mdash; Chris Vivlamore (@CVivlamoreAJC) <a href="https://twitter.com/CVivlamoreAJC/status/656973308949352448">October 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Anybody see that 60 Minutes piece about the guy that served 30 years for a murder he didn't commit and didn't get a dime from the state of LA. He was only owed 300,000 by the state for wrongful imprisonment and they wouldn't even pay that over some legal technicality.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

At the end of the day the Judge works under that same corrupt system. Only time they do something is when those liberals are watching

8. Major

Major Member

This is true, since criminal court doesn't award dollars. Also irrelevant and just suggests you don't understand anything about the basics of our legal system.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You aren't terribly bright, are you?

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know all the facts of the case. I saw the video. Seems like the cops were out of line. I'm not hoping anyone's life is ruined though. I don't hate cops just because they are cops, like a lot of people do around here.

It wouldn't bother me if he got some money if it is shown that the cops are guilty of doing something wrong. $50 million seems ridiculous though.

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

smh tmacfor35 smh

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Yikes. You, my friend, need a remedial criminal justice primer.

13. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thabo Sefolosha's pursuit of justice is opening doors for other athletes <a href="https://t.co/gzLGm0lHwQ">https://t.co/gzLGm0lHwQ</a> <a href="https://t.co/i8aYZwrwys">pic.twitter.com/i8aYZwrwys</a></p>&mdash; Sports Illustrated (@SInow) <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow/status/660125167868379136">October 30, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I disagree with your take and you insult my intelligence? You sound like a decent human being.

I'm taking the cops side after watching the video, because "X" person didn't exit the crime scene in a timely manner.

This country has supported movements like "black lives matter" etc which are terrorist groups. Time to step up and support those who keep our order in line.

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

What? :confused:

Did you not read the whole story

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you really consider Black Live Matter a terrorist group consider your intelligence insulted by me.

17. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are many, many criticisms that can be reasonably levied against the Black Lives Matter movement. Terrorism isn't one of them. You do a disservice to critics of the movement and lose all credibility with such tripe. (I would call it hyperbole, but that would be too generous.)

18. what

what Member

If he really was hurt that wouldn't be an outrageous amount given his occupation.

19. hakeemthagreat

Even if he didn't leave the scene in a timely manner, which I believe is a crock of bs, he still didn't deserve to be thrown to the ground. Cops are public servants paid by taxpayers, not godly figures we should obey

20. smk281

smk281 Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/84CH0FMFfw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>