1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thabeet may be coming to rox?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xomox, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worzel gummidge

IIRC, Morey got permission from the Spurs to talk to Scola before they traded for him. Could be a similiar scenario?

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

After xomox fails to deliver, can we instaban him?

3. eman

eman Contributing Member

Thabeet could be our next Dikembe. He could also be our next bust. Hope we don't give up too much, if we're actually trading for him. Bring on those digital photos!

4. RedRox29

RedRox29 Member

I actually want this to happen. Trade for Thabeet, then
    sign Mt. Mutombo as defensive coach/coordinator.
    its like a father and son, player and coach tandem

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Could be his friend that set him up for failure.

6. Nook

Nook Member

What kind of crack are you smoking? You will not get the #2 pick in the draft for a 2nd rounder?

Something in the water.....

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The situation is different than Scola's... Scola was held by Spurs for 6 years, and was considering signing an Euro contract, so they needed to talk to him to work out the contractual situation before feeling confident about trading for his rights.

Here, Thabeet was gonna get paid the slotted #2 pick salary no matter what, no need to speak with him to work anything out. If they wanted to interview the kid, they could have done so-- and probably did-- before the draft.

Anyhow, chances are this is all a case of mistaken identity of the person Thabeet was talking to.

Sidenote: NBA has a minimum payroll, and the way to get lower than that would be to have someone whose salary is on our books, but you don't have to pay (i.e. Tracy McGrady if insurance is covering a portion of his salaries). Would this work under the CBA? Hmmm...

9. worzel gummidge

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's why I think we'd do a good job developing this guy.

A lot of people thought Yao was going to be a bust, Yao got to work with some of the best centers. Maybe Yao and Deke can teach Thabeet, and the rockets continue the tradition of having the best Centers in the NBA :cool:

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Until there is a reliable source this thread is nothing. Reminds me of when Mattj posted a picture of Joel Pryzbilla and everyone thought we were getting him.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

True but the spurs hadn't signed scola and just owned his rights. I am not sure but I thought maybe Thabeet has already signed his contract before summer league since he was the 2nd overall pick.

If the Grizz hadn't signed him yet then maybe it would be okay. Morey would need the permission from the Grizz and if that was granted I am almost positive that Feigan or another news source would have leaked that by now as stuff like that isn't kept under wraps too well

13. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

he went to high school here....might be hanging with some friends...i think its b.s. about morey...i wish it was true

14. aristophanes34

Right. That's why there was that waiting period before Ron-Ron could be officially announced. I doubt there is much to this, but if there is the news could break now, even though the official deal would have to wait.

15. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

16. ajsports23

ajsports23 Member

I saw Thabeet outside Tao in Las Vegas a week ago... he couldn't get in.... haha... but Blake Griffin did

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, who knows what's true anymore. I'd like to think no one's jerking our chain on this.

It might go to explain why Memphis took Thabeet in the first place. They could have taken Rubio with that 2nd pick and had so much leverage in trading his rights.

Of course, we ARE talking about the Jizzlies, here, so anything is possible.

As far as Thabeet coming here, well, he can be traded one month after first signing with the Grizz. I'm sure the Grizz wouldn't mind Shane and Dorsey, I don't know who else; Taylor?

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Oops.

80. When can a team trade a free agent it signs? Do they have to keep him forever?

Generally, a player cannot be traded until three months after signing a contract or December 15th of that season, whichever is later. This does not apply to draft picks, who can be traded 30 days after signing their contract. In addition, if the player is playing under a one-year contract and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the contract, he can't be traded without his consent. If consent is granted and the player is traded, then he loses his Larry Bird or Early Bird rights, and enters free agency as a Non-Bird free agent. For example, Seattle signed Vladimir Radmanovic to a one-year qualifying offer on September 21, 2005. Therefore, Radmanovic could not be traded at all until December 21, 2005. After December 21, 2005, he could only be traded if he consented to the trade (he did consent and was traded to the Clippers). He became a Non-Bird free agent with the Clippers in the summer of 2006 (and signed instead with the Lakers).

For sign-and-trade transactions, the initial trade which completes the transaction is obviously allowed, even though it occurs right after the player is signed. What's not clear is whether the player's new team can subsequently trade him prior to three months or December 15. While a literal reading of the CBA might suggest that such players cannot be subsequently traded, the league actually considers this situation to be undefined, and won't resolve the matter until a team actually tries to make such a trade.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thabeet just confirmed on Twitter he's going to the T'Wolves:

:)

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Never know with this team. They may just up and trade OJ Mayo for Vujachic and Morrison, they are the most dangerous team in the NBA. It's like the guy in your fantasy league who makes a dumb trade that makes a good team better.

THE NBA would be a much better place if they never gifted away Pau Gasol. Kobe wouldn't even be a Laker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.