1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas studies 85 mph speed limit, highest in the nation.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BetterThanEver, Jun 7, 2012.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-studies-85-mph-speed-limit-fastest-u-222129153.html

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - A stretch of highway under construction in Texas could be the first U.S. road to have a posted 85 mile per hour speed limit, according to the Texas Department of Transportation.

Texas State Highway 130 will run between San Antonio and Austin with the aim of taking traffic loads off of Interstate 35. The major north-south highway was named the fourth most congested road in the state by the Texas Department of Transportation last year.

Most of Highway 130 is built - and speed limits are posted at 80 mph - with the remaining section set to open before the end of this year.

"We'll definitely take a look at that stretch, and we will conduct speed studies to see what that speed limit will be," Darren McDaniel, the Texas Department of Transportation's speed management director, said at a conference this week.

The Texas Legislature passed a law last year that allowed speed limits of up to 85 mph on newly constructed highways that were determined to be safe enough to allow such speeds.

Texas and Utah are currently the only states with speed limits of 80 mph.

The 85 mph speed limit would be the fastest posted maximum in the Western Hemisphere and the second fastest in the world, according to Rhino Car Hire, a European car rental company. It said a speed of 140 kilometers per hour, or about 86 mph, is posted on some roads in Poland.

Before the federally mandated 55 mph speed limit was approved in 1974, several Western states had high speed limits, and Montana and Nevada had some roads with no posted speed limits at all. Germany's Autobahn system has no posted speed limits for passenger cars, but speed is restricted for other types of vehicles.

Critics say higher speed limits will lead to more fatal accidents, but McDaniel said the safest roads are ones where all motorists are traveling the same speed.

Studies of drivers on that stretch of highway now show most are traveling about 85 mph, he said.

"The more people we can get to travel a uniform speed, the safer are the conditions that will exist," McDaniel said on Wednesday at the annual Texas Transportation Institute road safety conference in San Antonio.

Officials first proposed the 85 mph speed limit on a now cancelled toll road project, in hopes that it would convince more motorists to choose toll roads, and lessen congestion on free stretches of highway.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

female drivers + 85 mph = accidents galore

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

When I was driving through Kansas on my move last year, the the #25 and #35 turnpikes had 75 mph limits, but they had no feeders or cops; so you could pretty much hit 90-100 mph if you wanted. The deterrent being that they were two-lane, two-way highways and major trucker routes. The worst part was seeing a dead dog every few miles.

Ultimately I think this is a bad idea outside of West Texas or something, and a pretty horrible idea between a route with so many college kids. And, frankly, wouldn't mind seeing state troopers rack up the extra ticket revenue from a typical speed limit.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Isn't it 85 from San An to El Paso?

Rocket River

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't like this idea.

But I will completely take advantage of it when it happens.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

This is one of those ideas that sounds great but then you realize old people, women, etc... are going to drive at a speed comfortable for themselves (i.e. <85mph). that'll create havoc between cars trying to go 10mph over and those going 10-20mph under.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

While I think it would be an awesome idea, the positives mentioned and the 'everyone moving at the same speed' theory are a pipe dream.

Too many bad, dumb drivers.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I like the idea, since it's really inconvenient to clean up big pieces of debris after an accident. As you get up towards 100 mph, wrecks get their aerosol on.

1 person likes this.
  9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think it's 80, but everyone goes 90 on it at least.

10. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I drive on 130 all the time. It's empty. Like, really empty.

[​IMG]

Most of it looks like this. Not much traffic at all. I routinely drive 80mph, and feel completely safe. I also get my doors blown off by folks driving much faster. I don't think 85 is out of line at all.

#10 BetterThanI, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

+1, idiots can't even keep up with 60mph! MUST GO UNDER SPEED LIMIT OR I CAN HAZ TICKETS :mad:

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Something like that. At least 80 for long stretches, RR. I loved it. We went out to Big Bend, Alpine, Marfa, Fort Davis, and the rest of the area a week before the fires started. Talk about luck! The MacDonald Observatory was incredible. The whole area was beautful. Two weeks later, it was a charred mess, and still burning.

13. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Agreed, BetterThanI. Even during rush hour it's pretty empty.

I'm in favor of bumping up the speed limit to 85 on toll road 130.

14. Kate81

Kate81 Member

They must really have faith in Asian drivers, women, teenagers, and those random ignorant people.

I also don't like this idea.

15. HombreDeHierro

i like the idea

the bad drivers can naturally select against themselves

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Some cars won't be able to handle this.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They should consider this for parts of I-10 between Houston and San Antonio.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This Asian drivers being bad is a complete myth. Have none of you seen Tokyo Drift. ;)

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

I would avoid this highway like the plague. 85 mph is too damn fast, especially considering the fact that folks aren't going to do just 85, they are going to push 85 up to 90-95, just like they push 65 to 70-75.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Man I don't know, I drove faster with like 3hours of driving practice when I was in driving school here in Germany. Are it genetics that make us Germans feel like everything under 100mph is p***y speed? And then I see that nice picture of that 3-lane highway and some people here say they feel uncomfortable or not safe driving faster?