1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Stadium Seats Ruled Unstable

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BobFinn*, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I second that.

I forgot that what seemed like fun innocent trash talking (or smack) between two football opponents might be perceived by some to be offensive.

In one of my posts, I unfairly stereotyped the students at UH. That was in response to Tenchi's attack on UT. I have known Tenchi for a long time and he is a UH student and a close friend. We both knew the other one was joking but perhaps others did not. For that, I and Tenchi do apologize. I have no ill-will towards UH and he has no ill-will towards UT. Both are good schools.

May the best team win on Saturday.

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

You know what UH should've done, or UT should've demanded, was that the UT fans get to take seats that were previoulsy reserved for UH fans.

It would be the only fair way, after promising UT a specific number of seats.

3. Smokey

One more article. I just want to get this thread to a 1000 views. I thought you guys might enjoy reading this one.

SPOILED BEEF NAUSEATES THE TRASH MAN

By Keenan Singleton
    The Daily Cougar
    September 21, 2001

The Trash Man is tired.

Tired of defending UH against the seemingly endless barrage of negativity after the Cougars' loss to the pathetic Rice Owls (yes, Chris Lawson, your beloved Owls are still terrible).

Tired of hearing about "Bleachergate."

And I'm really tired of hearing about how great our next opponent, Texas, is, was and will always be.

News flash, Cougar fans -- UT is good, but they aren't that good.

A 63-14 defeat to rival Oklahoma and losses to Stanford and Oregon in "gimme-win games" last season reveals that much.

But ever since the Mack Brown era began in 1998, the Longhorns automatically assume that they should have the National Championship handed to them before a coin has been flipped.

After watching UT's 44-14 win over North Carolina, it's obvious that Chris Simms is not God, Roy Williams and B.J. Johnson can be stopped and vaunted "shut-down" cornerback Quentin Jammer can be thrown on and beaten badly.

Yes, but what about last season's 48-0 defeat?

Who cares?

Longhorn fans will be the first to tell you that last season's defeat to OU was a fluke, so I'll say the same about our downfall.

If last season proved anything, it displayed that the Cougars need not be intimidated by "Big Mack" and his boys.

UT's many traditions include plastering their slogan, "Hook 'Em Horns," everywhere, singing "I've Been Working on the Railroad" and parading that sorry excuse for a mascot -- Bevo the Longhorn -- everywhere they roam.

Unlike Rice, all the girls at UT aren't ugly, but their cheerleading squad needs to visit the Jenny Jones Show and receive makeovers.

UT fans, affectionately known as T-Sips, are a collection of the most arrogant people you'll never want to meet.

They also have the shortest memories of any school in the galaxy. Granted, they have won the last five meetings between the schools, but we dominated -- yes, dominated -- UT during the late 1980s.

Texas' smugness is just like their burnt orange and white color scheme -- sickening.

For example, UT behaves as if like they are doing us a favor by playing the Cougars in football, basketball, you name it.

So in other words, let's not sugarcoat it -- I hate UT, and if you have ever been bullied, or been belittled by a bigger foe, join the crusade.

I don't care if the "Eyes of Texas" are upon us, or if you're not supposed to "Mess with Texas," Saturday night at 8 p.m. is our time to prove that you shouldn't mess with Houston.

I'm tired of losing. Cougars 27-22.

http://www.uh.edu/campus/cougar/Todays/Issue/sports/sports2.html

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Smokey, that article is hilarious. What's ominous is how silent the UT players are about all of this. I guess they do their talking on the field. The spread is 31.5, if I were Pete Rose, I would take UT and the spread.

Why is it that the big underdogs always feel a need to talk trash to UT?

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Why is it that the big underdogs always feel a need to talk trash to UT?

UT as an institution is pretty arrogant, and its football team is overhyped compared to its performance on the field the last few seasons. I can see where the UH players are coming from, and why not play it up? It's their biggest game of the season, no doubt. Plus trash talk is fun!

Thanks for the article Smokey. I don't think the Cougars are going to beat the spread, much less win the game, but it is nice to read an article written by a UH student with some school pride.

6. Band Geek Mobster

UT might have a better football team, but U of H is the trashtalk capital of Texas!

I think that article's kind of lame, but he's right about the arrogance thing.

UT's been talking for a couple years about a national championship, yet they always choke it away.

You guys should wait till you actually win something before you hail yourselves as an elite team in college football.

7. Major

Major Member

<B>You guys should wait till you actually win something before you hail yourselves as an elite team in college football.</B>

UT doesn't do this by themselves. All the media writers and all the college football coaches in the nation are just as responsible for putting UT in the top 5-10 every year.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

SamCassell, point well taken. But, I think it's inevitable that UH will lose by 30+ tomorrow. I guess they have alot of self confidence. I love trash-talking as much as the next guy, but if I know I'm gonna get whipped, I usually keep my mouth shut.

It's almost the equivalent of me challenging Steve or Cat to a basketball game and I talk trash to them BEFORE the game. Also, throw in the fact that I reneged on the promised 4,000 tickets to Steve or Cat's entourage, well than, you know where this is going. Please Cat, don't hurt me.

9. Smokey

I was listening to Longhorn Sportsline with Mack Brown.

Interesting tidbits of info/stories:

1) Mack said referring to UH as "Cougar High" is not only disrespectful to UH, but also shows our lack of class. He does not want our fans to start classless chants on Saturday.

2) One day a guy came up to him and said 'Hey Coach! Can you stop our fans from booing the other team?' Mack replied 'Are you kidding? I can't stop our fans from booing me.'

3) Mack was at Dubya's inauguration where he had his hands in his pockets. A secret service agent came up to him and said 'Slowly take your hands out of your pockets.' Mack told him 'I'm a just a football coach.' He learned his lesson and never put his hands in his pockets that whole night.

4) When asked about Coogs trash talking Simms, Mack said 'He's (Adrian Lee) just trying to coach. I have enough assistant coaches to help me though.'

5) When asked about Montrell Flowers, Mack said 'We need more receivers.' We are going to be dangerous.

6) Some guy asked him 'how come Major uses the shotgun but Chris is under center?'
    When Major is in the shotgun, he has 4 wide receivers and a back for protection. Going 5 wide out of the shotgun with Simms leaves him in the backfield alone. Also, Simms needs to get rid of the ball quicker. Under center, he can take a quick 3 step drop. Out of the shotgun, its more like a 5-7 step drop.

7) Mack talked a little about scoring 44 for Cole Pittman. It was a little confusing why Mock came into the game. I know he was Cole's best friend but Mack said the referees charged us with a timeout cause they thought Major was missing a tailpad.

8) Mack admitted he can't motivate worth crap. He's tried everything.

9) He's gonna tell the team before the game that 6,000 fans are here but thousands are watching across the country on their TV sets. Let's make them proud of us.

10) Added that fans who can't make it to Houston, still can travel with us (the team) to Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Missouri.

10. Smokey

Burnt Orange Media Conspiracy strikes once again.

11. Major

Major Member

<B>Burnt Orange Media Conspiracy strikes once again.</B>

I'm not sure sure what you're saying here...

How do you explain the coaches' polls and the media polls putting UT in the top 10 the last 2 years? Are they all UT fans? Did UT take over the polls and change them up?

I don't see how the UT fans are placing themselves into the elite of college football when its the rest of the country that's doing the voting.

12. haven

haven Member

Actually, this couldn't be further from the truth. Mack Brown, and most real fans, have emphatically denied before this year that they're ready.

Two years ago, they thought they would really suck after the departure of Ricky Williams. Instead, they had a good team.

Last year, most people thought initially they'd end up where they did: around 8-12.

This year, Mack Brown's not denying the hype. He thinks his team is ready, and that they have a real chance now.

It really wasn't Texas last year, but rather, the media. The year before, the hype didn't exist.

13. Smokey

Whenever someone tells me that UT is overrated, I always tell them its a Burnt Orange Media Conspiracy.

That pretty much shuts them up.

14. Major

Major Member

<B>Whenever someone tells me that UT is overrated, I always tell them its a Burnt Orange Media Conspiracy. </B>

LOL! Makes sense -- thanks for explaining!

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Texas 53, Houston 26.

Anyone else see the game? The final score didn't tell the full story. I thought the Coogs did a great job staying in it in the first half, and were even up 14-10 late in the second quarter. Chris Simms amd the Horns offense struggled early, but really turned on the afterburners in the third quarter. Hopefully its those second-half Horns that show up against OU.

16. Smokey

Those second half Horns better show up against OU.

If we start out like we did last night, OU is gonna jump out to a huge lead. And the UH defense is not the OU defense.

I thought Mack looked like he was outcoached by Dimel. What is up with these first half struggles? This is a major problem pointed out to us by UH. Sure we won the game, but there is no way we would have beaten OU the way we played last night.

17. Major

Major Member

According to the Chronicle, 4 (yes, FOUR) people showed up to watch the game at Hofheinz Pavilion.

18. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

19. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

4 people? hmmm I wonder if they played 2 on 2 basketball instead of watching the game.

20. Smokey

It's a no brainer if you're a UT fan.

Inside at Hofheinz or outside at the Texas Exes tailgate?

I'm taking the Texas Exes tailgate.