1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Stadium Seats Ruled Unstable

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BobFinn*, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Major

Major Member

<B>All I got out of that whole passage was that the 10,000 seats was not a promise made in the initial contract. </B>

Where did you get that? How do we know that the 10,000 seats was not fought tooth-and-nail in the original negotiation? How do we know UT didn't end up paying a higher total amount for the 3-game contract to get those seats guaranteed?

<B>BTW, how do you think Hawaii felt a few years ago when Texas pulled out of that series when they had promised to play in Honolulu? I would think that Hawaii season ticket holders who were promised a Texas game would have been pissed, as well.</B>

Hawaii should have been pissed as well -- I know I was pissed. There was absolutely NO excuse for UT pulling out of that. The "official" excuse was money -- but UT flew to Hawaii in 1995 and knew exactly what the costs involved were. 5 other teams do it every year. UT has one of the biggest budgets out there.

I think the "real" reason was that UT was afraid of losing a game early. Hawaii was like 8-3 or so the year before and had made huge steps forward. It was no longer the "gimme" game we had hoped. UT screwed up bigtime there -- but that doesn't excuse additional screwups. Two wrongs are just that.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Because at the beginning of that quote, Brown says "A year ago." And then he is talking about ticket requests by UT fans, and Texas's attempt to do something about it. So by context one can infer that the time period in which Dodds was fighting tooth-and-nail was a year ago. I don't think I drew too big an inference there.

3. Major

Major Member

<B>Because at the beginning of that quote, Brown says "A year ago." And then he is talking about ticket requests by UT fans, and Texas's attempt to do something about it. So by context one can infer that the time period in which Dodds was fighting tooth-and-nail was a year ago. I don't think I drew too big an inference there.</B>

Fair enough. So a year ago, Houston agreed to guarantee Texas 10,000 tickets, presumably in exchange for something else (either money or counter-guarantees or whatnot) since university sports rarely ever do things just out of the kindness of their heart. Presumably, they would have signed a contract at that time dealing with these guarantees, which means there was probably a breach of contract.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

We exercised the buyout clause in the contract. In this case, UH is violating the 10,000 ticket stipulation.

I should have said "Texas football is a part of life" instead of "Texas football is life".

I still think Dodds should play hardball with the Coogs. UH isn't a top 25 opponent that would help us in the standings. We also play an extra game - potentially the Big XII Championship game.

The point is UT does not need UH. We already signed a 2 game series with Tulane starting next year.

And if we go ahead with this game, I hope Dodds tells Mack to run it up while saving our weapons for OU. UH is on the level of New Mexico State. They have some arrogant players for a team that just lost to Rice.

5. Major

Major Member

<B>They have some arrogant players for a team that just lost to Rice.</B>

I couldn't believe the comments the players had about Simms. I mean, I agree with them :), but why the hell would you give an opponent who's favored by 30+ points any bulletin board material like that?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I predict 77-3.

They're probably already pissed after UH's defensive end (Lee) talked a bunch of trash about Simms.

shanna,

Corey had some good comments about that. The main one being that there's nothing for him to lose, and if he's right, he's a genius...ala James Brown in '96.

It won't work here, it will definitely backfire...I predict Derrick Johnson will score 3 defensive touchdowns!! :D

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Fair enough. So a year ago, Houston agreed to guarantee Texas 10,000 tickets, presumably in exchange for something else (either money or counter-guarantees or whatnot) since university sports rarely ever do things just out of the kindness of their heart. Presumably, they would have signed a contract at that time dealing with these guarantees, which means there was probably a breach of contract.

I can buy that. Of course, being a cynical lawyer, I could also see Texas threatening legal action at that time and Houston offering the 10,000 tickets as a way to stave that action off. But either way I am sure that you are right, it was put down on paper, either as a modification of the original contract or as a new agreement. And UH unintentionally breached that agreement. Sadly incompetence throughout the ranks of UH administration is not uncommon. I don't know exactly how much the damages will be, or what UT can do to mitigate its losses, but I have no doubt that UH will and should have to pay.

I still think Dodds should play hardball with the Coogs. UH isn't a top 25 opponent that would help us in the standings. We also play an extra game - potentially the Big XII Championship game.

The point is UT does not need UH. We already signed a 2 game series with Tulane starting next year.

And if we go ahead with this game, I hope Dodds tells Mack to run it up while saving our weapons for OU. UH is on the level of New Mexico State. They have some arrogant players for a team that just lost to Rice.

So Brown didn't run up the score last game? Are you kidding me? 48-0? But go ahead and do that: I think it is far more humiliating for a division I college team to be shown mercy on the football field, than for both sides to play full out and let the final number fall where it may. As for the buy-out, it was bush. You know it. I know it. shanna knows it. Legally Texas had solid footing, but that doesn't mean they did the right thing. As far as UH-UT, I readily admit that UH screwed up on the temporary seats, but that is neither cause to move the game nor cancel it. UT has been wanting to move the venue for a year, and is using this seating situation as an opportunity to renew its old, rejected request. And it's not getting cancelled just days before it is scheduled to be played, based on 4,000 lost seats. Get real. Like I said before, the majority of fans at the game are going to be UT alums and supporters.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If I remember correctly, a few of those scores last year were on the defensive end or on turnovers on special teams. I wouldn't really call it running up the score.

9. Major

Major Member

<B>As far as UH-UT, I readily admit that UH screwed up on the temporary seats, but that is neither cause to move the game nor cancel it. UT has been wanting to move the venue for a year, and is using this seating situation as an opportunity to renew its old, rejected request. And it's not getting cancelled just days before it is scheduled to be played, based on 4,000 lost seats. </B>

I completely agree with this -- cancelling the game is just plain silly (that hurts everyone, and pisses off ESPN as well), and moving the game is totally up to UH. They deserve to have the home field advantage.

10. Smokey

We didn't run it up last year. UH just sucks.

This year we will run it up. Hopefully, the Cougars have paid their electricity bill cause we are gonna light up Robertson's scoreboard.

Dimel also inferred today Mack was classless when he allowed Simms to fire it into the endzone with 4 seconds left in a 48-0 game.

Classless is going to be when we go 5 wide on the defenseless Coogs leading by 49 on Saturday. John Jenkins would be so proud of us. He defines classless. I hope he's watching the game somewhere.

Are the Coogs ready for some streetball pass and catch?

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Dodds said he began inquiring about the safety of the new bleachers more than a month ago to former UH Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk. Gladchuk resigned Sept. 3 to take the same position at the U.S. Naval Academy

But Dodds said he continued to worry and last week asked the UT Physical Plant to contact the University of Houston to get more answers. Dodds said he was told Tuesday by the Physical Plant that the UH Athletic Department had not worked with university officials in inspecting the bleachers.

Further angering Dodds and Brown was the fact that Houston made the decision to dismantle the seats Monday but failed to notify anyone in Austin. The UT Athletic Department found out about the seat condemnation on Tuesday through a press release on the UH Web site.

It seems that Dodds' fallacy was believing that UH was handling the situation with a sense of urgency. I guess that's Dodds' fault.

12. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

cuttino,

When did I say U of H(ell) stopped me from learning? I think graduating Magna c*m Laude is definitely a testament to my ability to squeeze every ounce of learning from U of H. Besides, I've had more than "a couple" poor teachers. I've had instructors flat out lie, go back on their word, and injure my back.

Plus, I started attending UH in the Fall of 1988, believe me it was much worse then, but it doesn't matter, because I experienced it.

-----------------------
    SamCassell,

Umm, I hope you're not referring to me. I'm not saying UH's crappy seats makes it a crappy school (it doesn't help), but it is merely an example of the overall level of quality at UH. I'm not a TU fan either.

I do admit that once a student gets into the college of their concentration the quality of professors does increase (at UH). But, the level of quality in the professors who teach the core classes is so low, that getting through what are supposed to be "basic classes" is a nightmare in itself.

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

With language like that, you certainly are not a fan of The University.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

To all the UT brats:
    So full of sh*t, it makes u fat.
    All y'all do is whine.
    And keep asking "Where's Mine?"
    Don't you bastards have a life?
    It's sad when you've made football your wife.
    There are more important things than stupid games.
    Y'all people should all be ashamed.
    All of you are "holier than thou"?
    Fhut the Suck up, greedy a** cows.
    Yeah, I once bled orange too.
    But I crapped it out onto you.
    Flame me baby, I now bleed red and white.
    Call it Cougar High and kiss your @ss good nite.

17. Smokey

Enough of this jibba jabba sucka.

I pity tha foo who challenges Smokey.

You name the time and the place.

We will ball.

18. Tenchi

How can you call UT a beacon of education, when they let ppl like you in Smokey? It's like the Special Olympics man...even if UT wins on Saturday...y'all are still full of r****ds.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This coming from an idiot who either writes really crappy poems or regurigitates them.

Plus making fun of a university who you believe is obsessed with a game while posting over 300 times on a message board devoted to a game sounds pretty damn r****ded to me.

20. Tenchi

02-15-1999

Rocketman95: 3803 (4.01 posts per day)

Tenchi: 305 (0.32 posts per day)

Yes, I do have a life. Where's yours?

I got your applesauce right here.