1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Redistricting Battle Ends.. GOP to gain 6-7 Seats

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Murdock, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

It means you're not likely to last long here with the kind of attitude you displayed in this thread. I think it also means Deckard's done participating in your 'BBS career.' I don't blame him.

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I haven't been there, though, and the map shows up for me. So it can't be a cached copy that I'm seeing.

I'd like to see the 1990 map up there, too, for comparison. I only remember how horrible the Panhandle disctricts were (when those Democrats wanted to take away our representation, if that's what gerrymandering actually does, to save a democratic seat in a very conservative area of the state).

I mean, I think they should've left well enough alone with the map and think redistricting was not a good idea in the long run, but I get tired of hearing these Dems complaining about this as if they weren't just as guilty in the past of putting together these kinds of maps.

The only thing unprecendented is the timing of the remap, but judging by some of the reactions of some officials, you'd think this map was the first time anyone tried to put together a map that maximized their political party's chances.

3. mrpaige

Just for my own edification, who are the five?

I mean, I think about Martin Frost's district, and how it snakes around to prevent the more conservative Arlington/Tarrant County voters from electing a Republican by including a large democratic-leaning population from South Dallas.

He's not one of the five, is he?

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sam, you have no idea how much I appreciate that (or maybe you do :) ). Thanks! I'm still learning things, even after being on the Net for years. This is the first time someone posted an image I had already tried to post. I knew then I was screwing something up. What's weird is that I think I used to be able to do it. Anyway, thanks again.

5. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Well, this place is getting to be a joke anyways. I've been here all of 3 months less than Deckard. Just because I haven't made 3,000 repetitive posts doesn't mean I'm a newbie.

All this place is for anymore is to bicker and see who can shout their opinion the loudest. No one cares about serious discussion. I was asking an serious question that hadn't been addressed by anyone else and Deckard responds by regurgitating the same thing he had already said that I am apparently too stupid to read. I fail to see how I displayed an attitude at all until Deck responded to a question that I came nowhere near to asking, and in a condescending manner.

We'll see what you guys' stances on redistricting will be when the Dems regain power and re-visit the topic. I'm sure you'll be changing your tunes.

Man, now my BBS career is over. What a pity.

6. Buck Turgidson

Don't know much about Frost, but from what I've read they'd include Gene Green, Nick Lampson, Chris Bell in the Houston area & Charlie Stenholm in the Panhandle.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Hammer, don't be discouraged by the liberal hate-mongers that have filthily spread to this forum. They are overcome by feelings of inadequacy when confronted with a smart conservative. That's when the name calling and condescending posts start. Don't let them get to you.

8. mrpaige

Stenholm's district isn't in the Panhandle, it's that big mid-Texas district that includes Abilene.

Thornberry and that guy who replaced Combest are the Panhandle reps (and both their districts extend beyond the Panhandle).

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks for the laugh, I needed one this afternoon.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks for the laugh, I needed one this afternoon.

Of course, if I was your partner in crime, I'd report this post for the term "hate-monger" and "feelings of inadequacy". Of course, I'm not your partner in crime.

Please read the sticky thread. Thanks.

11. mrpaige

So where I can I go to see something like the 2000 Presidential Election results broken down by district (though that can be skewed given that a record number of people voted for GWB in 2000 in Texas, about 1 million more than voted for Bob Dole, even though Clinton in 1996 and Gore in 2000 got essentially the same vote totals from Texas).

I'm just curious to see it. I keep seeing the stat that these are Republican districts that elect Democrats, I'd just like to see the 2000 results just to satisfy my own curiousity.

12. Maynard

Maynard Member

and as for you bigtexxx,

I haven't seen you post anything that could be considered "smart" in this thread

all you have contributed is bumber sticker slogans

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

mrpaige, here is part of an article from the Austin American-Statesman:

10/11/03
    The new map increases the number of solidly Republican and solidly Democratic districts, continuing a national trend that took off in the 1980 round of redistricting. GOP candidates in these safe districts typically face challengers from the right — or the left if they're Democrats — so there is little incentive to seek out moderate, independent and opposition-party voters.

"There may very well be a day in the not-too-distant future where we have a Congress where all conservatives are Republicans and all liberals are Democrats," said Jim Riddlesperger Jr., political science department chairman at Texas Christian University.

"It's the case of the vanishing moderate," said Amy Walter, who analyzes the U.S. House for the Cook Political Report. "And when those voices go away, they are usually replaced by a very partisan member."

Four of the targeted Texas Democrats are members of the Blue Dog Coalition, party conservatives and moderates who focus on a balanced budget while attempting to steer Democrats on a more centrist policy course.

"They've got us targeted because we're an independent voice, and we're the very types of representatives that drive (House Republican leader and fellow Texan) Tom DeLay crazy. We don't blindly follow party policy on either side," said U.S. Rep. Max Sandlin, a Blue Dog from Northeast Texas. "They don't want districts that are competitive, or that they can win. They want districts that they absolutely can't lose."

All four Blue Dogs, including U.S. Reps. Ralph Hall of Rockwall, Charlie Stenholm of Abilene and Jim Turner of Crockett, represent districts that have grown increasingly Republican as the GOP has gained dominance in Texas. They have survived by reflecting their districts' conservative values.

Sandlin favors a constitutional amendment banning desecration of the U.S. flag. Hall voted for President Bush-backed bills 70 percent of the time in 2002. Stenholm opposes abortion.

Other targeted Democrats also contribute to their party's diversity of opinion. Rep. Gene Green, D-Houston, opposes gun control and favors the death penalty. Rep. Chet Edwards, D-Waco, follows a pro-military and pro-business agenda.

mrpaige, Chet Edwards of Waco is a conservative Democrat as well as the four Congressmen I highlighted.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The lunatic fringe liberals are out in force today! As we Republicans rejoice over our latest victory, the liberals are left scratching their head and hoping for a court ruling which may overturn the just and fair map that has been provided. Oh liberals, how desperate you are, how much you yearn to achieve one, just one policy victory. But alas, it shall not be so. Your voices are loud, but have no strength. Your tune is heard, but not enjoyed. Your party is strong in number, but oh so weak in power. What ever shall you do? If we listened to the liberal voice which has infested the D&D, you would think that no Republican policy would ever get passed! How far from the truth this is! Could this be the root cause of the liberals desperate cries for attention? You betcha. I guess the liberals just don't like it when Republicans are in power. WAAAAAAAAAAA

OWNED

15. mrpaige

Okay, as long as nobody is claiming that Martin Frost was part of the group. You'd lose all credibility with me by claiming Frost was conservative. :)

So the five are: Sandlin (1st District), Turner (2nd District), Hall (4th District), Edwards (11th district), and Stenholm (17th district).

Still like to see the numbers, though. Just curious.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64657

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be crazy enough to call Frost a conservative. :)
    He is the only Jewish member of Congress from Texas, however. Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;)

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I don't know what's funnier.... RM95's double posts or SamuelFisher's double posts which come complete with busted links...