1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas police officer grabbing a high school student by the throat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Oct 12, 2015.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Oh yes, I forgot, mindless obedience to authority figures is one of the virtues this nation was founded on. We should definitely make that the norm in our children.

You act like the kid was responsible for his actions, but that the cop wasn't. As if the moment the kid touched the cop, that this was the only way the cop could respond. The cop made a mistake by escalating the situation, the kid made a mistake by not realizing the danger he was in and not deescalating the situation -- but nothing forced the cop to choke slam the kid. That is all on the cop.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said earlier, cops are like strippers, they can touch you but you can't touch them. The kid acted like an idiot and deserved to be cuffed and threatened with an assault charge....but since he's only 14 the cop shouldn't have gone that hard on him. Make that kid 17 or 18 and I'd have no problem with anything that happened though. You call it "mindless obedience to authority figures" but putting your hands on a cop is just r****ded and if you are an adult, you deserve whatever happens to you as a result of you being stupid enough to assault a cop....and yes, shoving a cop's arm is assault even if the cop is preventing you from walking off in the middle of you being detained.

3. HamJam

Like I said, the kid made a mistake by not realizing what he was dealing with (a cop) and the danger that comes along with dealing with them. It was foolish of him to act as he did considering how powerful the laws of this country have made cops and the culture of authoritarianism and thuggish violence among cops.

I'm not denying that the kid made a mistake in relation to the situation he was in and that the cop had the legal ability to come down on him. What I am saying is that the over bureaucratization and authoritarianism in this country goes against the ideals and values that brought this country into being and made it great, and that those supporting the actions of this cop and the laws cops like him are hiding behind are part of a cultural problem in our society. One that values obedience and order over liberty and individuality.

Thugs and bullies like this cop should be considering the lowest form of life in our society. They should be ostracized and outcast, but instead our laws and government shelter and empower them over other individuals.

So, you are right about the laws, and you are right the kid was acting stupid. But this cop is an idiotic thug, and people like him should not be tolerated.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You don't get it. You need a total mindset change. One of the things that makes the US great is the rule of law and respect for the law and law enforcement. That should be something we should teach the youth of this nation -- certainly not to resist and lay hands on a policeman -- only bad things can come of those irresponsible actions, and we shouldn't be outraged when the police act after being provoked.

/thread

5. HamJam

I don't get it? I need a mindset change? Your reality is so distorted you can't even call this 14 year old kid a kid -- you have to repeatedly call him a "man" and a "guy" -- distorting the reality of the situation in a futile attempt to justify the actions of yet another idiotic thug police officer.

This nation wouldn't exist if people respected the rule of law as much as you think they should. It wouldn't exist, nor would civil rights, nor would the 8 hour work day, nor would child labor laws, nor would almost all of the civil liberties people like you take for granted.

6. g1184

g1184 Member

yet Clyde Bundy was a hero and legal abortion is irresponsible

7. dragician

dragician Member

or tail hook..

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Did you know Austin and Round Rock are different places? And I'm not sure you know what segregated means if you think Austin is the most segregated city in America. Houston is the least segregated major city in America. So if you are saying Austin is more segregated than Houston then you would be correct because it is simply less diverse. There is a difference between diversity and segregation.

Do you live in Austin?

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Round Rock is very much a part of the Austin metro area. Both Houston and Austin are highly segregated. Austin is the most segregated city in America: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-1-for-economic-segregation-report-finds.html

Since it's an economic distinction in a former slave-holding, ultra-conservative state - I'm going to extend that claim to possibly mean racial segregation as well.

10. HamJam

Actually, he's right, Austin is one of the most segregated cities in the country. I am betting he has in mind the recent racial dot maps of major cities that were released. Here is the one for Austin: http://i.imgur.com/XnOKDKE.jpg

As you can see, especially if you compare Austin to other cities, it is indeed one of the most racially segregated cities in the country.

I do live in Austin by the way. And this was indeed Wilco (Williamson County) and not Austin proper. However, to Cohete Rojo's point, that is probably part of the problem: Wilco is notorious for being WASPy as all get out, and for cops being more authoritarian than the rest of the area (they're the ones that tried to give the young man caught with pot brownies a felony distributing charge a year or so ago, for instance) -- in other words, Wilco is one of those white areas on the map, so, the idea that the kid is getting treated more harshly since he is in an area without many black kids in it is quite possible.

11. bigtexxx

You've got a bias issue. You're predisposed to dislike police officers. Calling him a thug is unfounded, as you are not aware of the verbal discussion that went on, and you chose to ignore the guy laying hands on the officer, which you simply cannot do. Our youth need to be brought up to respect police officers, not lay hands on them and then cry to the internet warriors (and Rev Jackson, Al Sharpton, Shaun King, et al) to come save them.

12. HamJam

I rest my case.

13. bigtexxx

You need some time for self-examination. You really don't understand your bias, and it will hurt you later in life. I'm assuming you're either in high school or thereabouts -- I'm trying to help you for the future. Think critically, and don't let your biases taint your judgment.

14. HamJam

You assume wrong. And my mindset is working quite well for me thank you very much.

You on the other hand have consistently made yourself one of the most notorious and laughable fools on clutchfans, so, I recommend you do some self-examination of your own.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

bigtexx, the biggest racist troll on the board trying to lecture people on bias. It doesn't get any funnier. :grin:

16. bigtexxx

Oh look it's the liberal pile on crew trying to help out poor Ham Jam.

Go back and read the Trayvon Martin thread from page 1. You'll never see anybody more correct than I was, and from page 1 when all the "conventional" thinkers were convinced they were correct. I was 100% correct from day 1 in that incident. Learn from the past, Ham Jam and CometsWin -- you're both overcome by bias and it's limiting your thinking, and likely your life.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

The Trayvon thread is one of your sick trophies. I don't know why you would ever associate that thread with yourself. It's filled with such great deficits of character on your part.

You know you're wrong, even with your narcissism about being "correct." We get it though. This video, along with Trayvon's murder, seem to be the triggers which immediately cause you to defend the aggressor. There's always a common denominator.

This is where you claim every decent person who disagrees with you to be biased, limited in thought and wrong for being liberal.

Go ahead, do you. We know the pattern.

18. bigtexxx

Oh lookee! The folks are coming out of the woodwork to try to help poor Ham Jam!

Codman all you can do is hurl insults. You bring no substance. You know I was 100% correct in the Trayvon thread.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've lived in Austin since the 80's and I-35 is pretty much the railroad tracks. It's less so now since all the white kids are buying all the houses east of the 35, but compared to other cities, Austin pretty segregated.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cops aren't these gods whom if you touch or brush should immediately means they can beat you to a pulp.

A good cop knows when to use force and knows how to de-escalate. The fact that you advocate severe violence for even being taller than a cop and showing any resistance is proof why someone like you should not be allowed to have a gun. You are too trigger happy and mentally not very stable based on your hate for people.