1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas police officer grabbing a high school student by the throat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Oct 12, 2015.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Maybe the cop was using this as a teaching moment to illustrate his potential future if he remains a hot head.

Bravo officer. Bravo.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Did you folks watch the video closely? The guy grabbed the cop's hand and pushed it away. You simply don't do that and not expect to get treated poorly by a LEO. You can't lay hands on a cop, PERIOD.

This is a non-story, due to the fact that the guy shouldn't have resisted the cop.

The anti-police atmosphere in this country has to stop.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's why I'm on the fence, I think the cop reacted too harshly and sort of set the kid up for failure by getting in his face as much as he was. Keeping back a bit and having a different tone probably makes the situation better.....but at the same time the kid has to be smarter/more respectful than that.

The rules aren't fair, but the rules are the rules, cops are like strippers in that they can put their hands on you, but you can't put your hands on them.

The kid was 14 so I hope he learns his lesson and doesn't make a mistake the next time he's detained, we've seen that it can potentially cost you your life.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do you think any kind of takedown or hold is appropriate when someone touches a cop?

The cop made contact with the kid and the kid tried to brush the cop off and leave. The cop easily could have gotten wrist control on the kid or arm dragged him and took his back and told his partner to cuff the kid. We aren't talking about high level stuff. Instead he risked serious injury to this kid over a brush off that represented very little threat to the cop. Just because someone half your sizes brushes you off doesn't mean you need to go all Wrestlemania and choke slam them.

I feel like I'm living in crazy world if someone actually thinks this was an appropriate response to the kid's actions.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

IF you look even closer, you'll see that prior to that push of the hand, the cop pushed the kid back with his right arm! Was the cop (who is supposed to be trained) try to illicit a response from that kid? I'm almost always in favor of the police, simply because they usually never get any praise and almost always get trashed for doing their job, BUT in this case I see an overzealous cop with backup cornering a teenager who has just gotten into fight and probably had his adrenaline sky high and instead of using common sense lost his frickin mind when the kid touched him! I don't condone the kids actions, but the response from the cop was excessive!!!! Borderline assault in my opinion!

There is no denying that kids now in days are more aggressive and far less respectful, and I agree that that they should be accountable for their actions, BUT the root of this is piss poor parenting! In my opinion, the parents should be held accountable as well! You can't expect any kid to be respectful if the parents don't do their job and teach the kid to respect others (especially policemen) OR there will be consequences!

I'm not anti-cop, but my eyes see excessive force by the cop in this case!

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that the kid is only 14 is pretty much my only problem with this. If the kid was 17 instead of 14 I'd totally green light the throat punch in response to him pushing the cop and trying to walk away....let's face it, that's what would happen if he was in the military and he tried to do that to one of his Drills.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Would you feel the same way if it were your kid.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Like I said, I think the cop set him up for failure and I think it was too harsh a takedown for a 14 year old, but the kid has to be smarter than that. A 14 year old needs to have more respect than that for adults or they deserve negative consequences to a certain extent. If it was my kid and they were at least 17, I'd green light the throat punch. If you're too stupid to do the right thing on your own, that's how you learn.

9. bigtexxx

Sorry guys, there's no excuse for that man to grab the cop's arm and push it away. That was the key escalation move and the cop has to act. Some of you are just looking to take out your biases against the police. This isn't the example to pick. Neither was Michael Brown in Ferguson, either, as the investigation proved.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The kid was 14 and he made a mistake. The cop could have easily taken him down differently if he wanted to. If the kid was bigger or older then that's one thing, but he didn't have to take him down that hard, he wanted to. Now it's nothing worth marching on Washington about, but given that we were only talking about a 14 year old, I think his actions were overly harsh.

He could have sent the exact same message by merely cuffing the kid and threatening to press assault charges if he wanted to.

11. bigtexxx

Disagree -- the cop can't risk physical harm in this situation. It appears the man was arguing and not cooperating with the policeman, and then he pushed the policeman's arm away. That's simply unacceptable.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Should he of grabbed him by the balls instead?

13. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

The "man"? You're just generally a bad person, aren't you?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you were talking about an adult, or even a large child, then that would be one thing, but we're talking about a 14 year old. He wouldn't be risking physical harm by taking him down in a less violent, angry fashion. I'm not arguing that the kid wasn't wrong, just that the cop should have taken him down differently given his age and size. If he was a senior, or if he was a big kid, rock on with the throat punch for all I care, but a fairly small freshman? C'mon man.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Passes it to the man

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

Physical harm he has to be twice the size of this kid and there is another cop there whom appears to be moving away from the kids as to let him leave before the big cop took the kd down.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, with the ease he manhandled that kid there's just no way he could say that he was in danger of physical harm. Cuff the kid and teach him a lesson, sure, but since he was just a little 14 year old kid you really shouldn't throw the kid down like that.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Right there was a better way he could have handled this issue and the kid needs to learn not to be so hot headed this cop took him down the next on may very well kill him.

19. bigtexxx

The guy was taller than the policeman who took him down.

Bottom line here is that YET AGAIN, if people don't resist the police or lay hands on the police, this activity could be prevented. Learn from the past, people. It's really not that hard. Do what police say and don't act the fool.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

He bumped the cop. He didn't strike him.

Here is a situation where a "take down" would be appropriate:
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dMij_0q258c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Like I said. Austin is the most segregated city in the U.S.