1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas police officer grabbing a high school student by the throat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Try to look at the big picture. Why was the campus police there in the first place?

2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

You've been teaching too long and have become jaded. The kid was assaulted, how do you not see that?

3. dragician

dragician Member

because they're campus police, not traffic cops.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I remember campus police showing up to question kids about graffiti in the bathroom, a rumor about sex in a black room, a stolen candy bar from a vending machine.

Frankly I hope you retire soon beaches you seems to come off as impatient and pessimistic about your profession.

5. Falcons Talon

Jaded? Teaching too long? lol. You don't know me professionally. I'd bet that you'd want your child in my class if you had any idea how I help these kids, but I make it known that they are accountable for their choices. Life lessons.

Assaulted?

I saw a student taken down that did not comply with a law officer. I didn't see contact with the throat for more than a split second. I did not see the student "slammed" to the ground. All inflammatory words used to work up people that are easily worked up. Pathos.

6. Falcons Talon

Campus police are a state recognized police. Now you can't hide behind your ignorance on that matter anymore.

7. Falcons Talon

Funny, I remember that too..and if you think that is what is going on in schools nowadays, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Impatient and pessimistic? So you say. I tend to teach students about choices. As a matter of fact, every student is given a chance to make a choice up to the second they are sent to the office from my class, and its made known that there are consequences for their choices.

8. dragician

dragician Member

ahh, you finally pulled the trigger. it really hurts coming from a teacher who spends time on social websites during school hours. ouch.

9. Falcons Talon

Nothing wrong with ignorance. It means you just don't know. Now you do. You don't have to be upset about it. Sorry it bugs you that I eat and post, but how about this issue we were discussing.

oops...sorry. lunch is over. Have fun with your newfound knowledge.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Society now days is so quick to want to find any kind of abuse and make it into a big deal. As another poster said earlier, this video does not deserve to go viral and be talked about on message boards. The kid tried to push the officer's hands off him and he got taken down. So what? The officer could have been more patient and nicer, so now we take to the internet to cry about police abuse?

Did the officer pull his gun out and point it at kids? Did he taze him? I've seen those videos and I've been appalled by the officer's reactions there. This video? Why are we wasting our time talking about it?

11. dragician

dragician Member

good. be a good example to students, don't take 2hr lunch break.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Finally watched to entertain myself during a conference call. And now I certainly don't see what people are complaining about. Kid coming off a fight with another kid giving the cops lip and not complying with orders. And he was treated humanely once pinned. I doubt the cop would lose a lawsuit, much less a prosecution. Kid should take things more seriously when he's talking to law enforcement. There's plenty of real instances of police brutality; no need to dwell on this.

13. dragician

dragician Member

we are talking excessive force... the officer is twice as big as the kid, and he's got a backup. and they're trained... and they way the neutralized the kid - choking... etc.. excessive.

i don't know the entire story but i was onlly commenting based on the video that i saw.

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't think many are complaining about the act of putting the kid in cuffs. I think it's the throat contact that many think are excessive. I have no problem with force being used to detain the teen from leaving or continuing to fight, but it's reasonable to think there are better ways to cuff him than using the initial throat shot.

15. MexAmercnMoose

From prior experiences with cops, they want a reason to arrest/make your life as difficult as possible. Mama taught me at a young age to just remain quiet and do/listen to whatever they say (especially if you're a minority). They're the ones with the guns.

16. dragician

dragician Member

can't imagine what was happening before the existence of camera phones... it's good to let these authorities know that ordinary people like us are watching.... even teachers who are supposed to be teaching their students take time to see what's going on..

17. Falcons Talon

Wow...you take your ignorance to a new level. Have you ever heard of a modified block schedule? The odd thing is you assume that I have students in my class. I'll bet your licking your chops even now as we are between classes. LOL...Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

18. dragician

dragician Member

AH! modified block schedule. that's it! you got me. man, was just teasing you... can't believe we got this far. it really makes a diff when we use smilies.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Meh, I dunno, I'm on the fence about this one because honestly you can't try and just push past police when the detain you and if they try to stop you from walking off, you can't shove their arms or it's technically assault.

Ultimately, the kid didn't get hurt and none of this would have even happened if his parents had taught him a bit of respect.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I've read the link or maybe another article on this, and from what info is out there based on the kid's quotes and the video, the lack-of-respect thing doesn't really seem to apply here. The kid is a self-admitted hot head and was having a hard time cooling down. And from the video, it's actually not like he's yelling or cussing out the cop...he's just not listening. Again, maybe he's not taught right, but seems more just like a teenage anger phase or behavioral issue that he seems to be self-aware of. A detainment without a throat hold would have been so much better for everyone.