1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas police officer grabbing a high school student by the throat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Oct 12, 2015.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Campus environment doesn't matter. If force is appropriate in the interaction on the street, it's appropriate at school.

Didn't watch the video and have no opinion on whether force was warranted. Honestly, while I believe the ubiquitous videos of potential abuses of power by cops is good for us in the long-run, right now I feel completely tired out by all the ticky-tack ones. Maybe it was abuse of power, maybe it was police brutality, probably it's worth making the video and complaining about treatment. But to have every video circulating on the bbs, facebook, whatever, for the general public to discuss is just tiring. I'm sure some people just eat this stuff up every time. And some people will tell me to check my white privilege or something since this isn't a reality I have to live through like some do. But, I'm tired anyway, and I'm here to tell you it's a rhetorical mistake to wear people out with ticky-tack abuse of power videos. I get numb to it, and the use of force becomes too commonplace, and when someone gets murdered by a cop in a takedown gone wrong, I'll have no energy left for outrage. Make the videos. Use them in your lawsuits. But I don't really want to see it at this point unless it's a gross miscarriage of justice that is just crying out for public discussion.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Why is this even a thread?

The kid tried to push the cop off him and the cop took him down. Was a bit excessive? Probably. Big deal? no.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Grammar folks:

I see a few people in here capitalizing the c in the word cop. Is that appropriate?

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

The cop was way overzealous and out of line. What did they charge the kid with.

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Is anyone sharing their opinion here a hs teacher?

6. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

In Cop we trust

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I am not a teacher. What is your opinion?

8. Falcons Talon

I've been a teacher since '92. HS since '98.

I've seen a decline in student accountability. They want to do whatever they want, but the moment they are called on it, disregard any directives.

I think kids should learn what it is to be accountable for their actions.

Immediate feedback teaches the best lessons.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Worst chokeslam I've ever seen. Probably wouldn't even get a 1 count from the ref.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I agree.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Did he want some Mac and cheese?

12. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

kid should of just used his right to remain silent. If he was not being arrested say "Can i go now". Kids need to be taught these basic rights to handle the situations better. We don't know exactly what was said here but my personal opinion was that the cop instigated the aggression and used that as an excuse to be excessive.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This.

Why not have just calmly told the the kid they where going to arrest him, turn him around and cuff him. Instead they corner him like a dog, and push on him. When he tries to walk away from being cornered, the cops pushes him, and all he did was brush the cops arm of his body and boom they take down the kid with full force and fury like he's armed or something.

Then after they take him down, they put their knee's into his back and just sit on him. Why not just cuff him and stand him up? Assholes.

14. Falcons Talon

is it possible that they did tell the kid this but in the end, he tried to just walk away... if they immediately cuffed him, I would venture to say there would be an outcry that they shouldn't have cuffed him at all, if he even allowed it without a struggle.

Have you ever been or seen a situation where a student seems calm and completely ignore any directives, literally trying to walk away like nothing happened?

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This is interesting. Why admin or teacher is a potential for lawsuit, loss of employment but not cops, relatively of course?

Is it because cops have more leeway?

Someone allure to how students are not accountable implying cops would be be one holding student accountable... seems to be a trend in the US?

Teacher should have more power and protection against lawsuit and loss of employment for doing what's necessary to teach.

I think our society has become too sensitive when a teacher can exercise some sensible discretion without fear of lawsuit or loss of job.

16. dragician

dragician Member

Based on the video, the cop's reaction was excessive.

The cop was the one pushing him first.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The kid isn't calm and rationally thinking about following the cops orders or answering his questions. The cops never really pushed the kid, either, they held their arms out and prevented him from leaving which they have to do to or else the kid will walk away like he did nothing wrong when he was the instigator.

The only thing the cops did wrong was the short cop aggressively took the kid down before it was warranted. If the kid threw a punch or pushed the cop, it's fair game for the cop to take him down. But all the kid did was grab the cops wrist and try to walk away before the cops were done.

Once the take down is initiated, tall cop had to assist to pin the kid down who was trying to get back up. The cops actually handled the pin down well. They didn't forcefully grab his arms to cuff him, they just pinned his limbs down and talked to him until you see the kid calm down.

18. dragician

dragician Member

So why are you on Clutchfans at 10AM?

19. Falcons Talon

This cool thing called conference period. I happen to have time for lunch too. Imagine that. Oh, don't forget senior college presentations once a week.

20. dragician

dragician Member

...and don't forget to check your facebook too.