1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas liberals shamefully protest Perry's measures to safeguard women's health

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 23, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

nope

you are simply trying to deflect attention. I support babies after birth, as well

by the way -- this line of poor reasoning has already been debunked several times in this thread. Don't be lazy -- read the thread before posting.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

just in case some missed it

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a hard time accepting that you support this bill on the basis of improved safety when you then state why you are against abortion.

I think it is pretty clear you look at this backdoor way of essentially doing away with abortion. Further the fact that they included the 20 week deadline (one that has been struck down previously by courts) shows what the true intent of this bill is.

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I said the intent of the bill was to improve safety standards. I didn't write the bill, why I am supporting this bill is irrelevant to its intent. I am against abortion, I am not shy about that, but I am also concerned with the safety of these procedures. I have heard from many doctors who have witnessed the results of botched abortions, and I don't think anyone should have to go through that for the sake of convenient, cheap abortions. In a perfect world, I would do away with abortions, but if they are legal, I want them to be as safe as possible. However, you are right, the main reason I PERSONALLY, support this bill is because I don't support abortion.

Does ANYONE care what I think? I doubt it. As no one cares what you think. Both sides already have their votes ready, they aren't going to change their minds. R's are supported by pro-life/anti-abortionist and D's are generally supported by pro-choice/pro-abortionists. They have to represent their constituents. They do not represent all of Texas. Our US Senators do, but these people represent their districts, and conservative districts have conservative values, if they didn't they wouldn't elect such conservative leaders, and vice versa.

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Wendy Davis is filibustering?!?

6. mc mark

I believe she is. ;)

7. Anticope

Anticope Member

The people who constantly rail against big government and then turn around and claim that the only way to stop abortion is for the government to ban it make me laugh.

8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

9. YaosDirtyStache

No, you dont support babies after birth...unless of course they are white Christian babies.

You have a track record that speaks for itself, if you posted contrary to what I said, it was a lie.

1 person likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

First of all, that's such complete nonsense. Texas from forcing women to pay for rape kits, to its not using federal CHIPs funds, to their action against planned parenthood has shown time again that health care isn't any type of priority. Second, abortions aren't typically surgical procedures so why do they need to be done at surgical centers? This is all about limiting access, period. I know that, and you know that so trying to paint this as anything but that is just disingenuous and par for the course for today's conservatives. There are many ways they could have improved conditions at abortion centers (if that's actually a real problem and not some imaginary made up bull**** like the voter ID nonsense) without closing 95% of them.

They are dealing with the consequences of their decisions, making a choice to exercise a Constitutionally protected right. By making a choice they are in fact being responsible for their situation, it's just not the choice you want so it's a cop out? Convenient.

Not about religion my ass.

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/24/texas_abortion_bill_sponsor_doesnt_know_what_a_rape_kit_is/

Leaflets printed with Bible verses littered the desks of Texas lawmakers early Monday as House Republicans voted to approve a sweeping abortion measure that, if passed, would shutter 37 of the state’s 42 abortion clinics.

11. mc mark

yeah, she can't even lean on the podium. thanks for the link

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Can you provide statistics on safety standards and how they differ from clinics that don't do abortions? How many botched boob jobs and nose jobs and any other kind of outpatient procedure? Do you have any actual data that spells out a need to improve safety standards at abortion clinics? Where is all the evidence?

There's no such thing as pro abortionist.

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Oh snap! They raised a point of order on her back brace!

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Like I said Comets, I am in favor of these bills because I do not agree with abortion. You should contact Sen. Deuell's office if you want information on HIS arguments, lol. I am not trying to convince you or anyone else to support this bill. I am just reiterating what I know about THEIR arguments. Deuell did have a handout answering your question about the differences in safety standards, but I don't have that information, sorry.

The need to improve safety standards? Testimony from the Gosnell trial about how abortion clinics get away with things even when there are laws and inspections that are intended to prevent them. The recent revelations by the Karpen clinic.

Why do they need to be regulated under surgical center standards? Because hemorrhaging does happen, and most facilities are not equipped to handle them. Also, this bill includes req. for follow up appointments. These are not routine for most clinics and complications can occur days later.

As for it not being a religious argument, just because one group makes it a religious argument, does not mean ALLLLL in favor/opposition have the same reasons for doing so. That goes for both sides, on any issue.

As for it being a cop out. I don't understand your comments. Excluding rape, how do you get pregnant without making a choice to have sex? I am well aware that this is a constitutionally protected right, I am not making a legal argument. I am really not making an argument period. I am simply offering what I know about the situation because I am literally in the middle of it, and because I am personally against abortion, it may be a legal cop out, but it is a cop out nonetheless in my eyes.

I am well aware that women face hardships during pregnancy, and that they can be dangerous, which is why I wish they would be more responsible when they are engaging in activity that could result in health complications at a further date.

If you don't want to risk lung cancer, don't smoke. If you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex, or use protection. Even if you don't smoke, you can still get cancer, but you greatly reduce your risk if you take the necessary precautions, I wish young women AND men would do the same.

Related to that, I wish men would be more responsible. I also wish PARENTS would be real with their kids. These aren't "legislatible" but rather societal issues that must be addressed personally.

15. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Whitmire made some good points. While I want this legislation passed, I am concerned with the way it is being done. It really is sad after such a successful and respectful regular session, that it has to end this way. Davis has do what she has to do, but doesn't the other side have to do the same thing? Are they not obligated to make every effort to pass or kill legislation they agree or disagree with?

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This right here is simply not true. There are plenty of people who think there is nothing wrong with abortion whatsoever. There was an article posted on this site this year by a woman who was chastising the liberal talking point of "legal safe and rare" or however it goes because of the inclusion of "rare."

I've also never understood the liberal argument that it isn't a life but we should work to make the procedure less common.

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is what just kills me. If you think that a rape kit is effective birth control, you really have no business making any decisions of import.

18. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Thinking there is nothing wrong with something (ambivalence) and actively advocating for people to do it (i.e. "pro") are two different things entirely.

What is hard to understand about the "rare" part? Just because one does not equate a particular state of unborn as they do a fully grown adult does not mean you are in favor of abortions being a common thing.

Well-educated, economically stable parents don't typically get elective abortions. That's the "rare" part in "legal, safe, and rare".

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>In the 13 hours of <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#StandWithWendy">#StandWithWendy</a> filibuster, 1,796 children will have been aborted: <a href="http://t.co/MUhM0GKR3A" title="http://bit.ly/10jzrH8" org_href="http://bit.ly/10jzrH8">bit.ly/10jzrH8</a> <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#SB5">#SB5</a></p>&mdash; El SOOPer!! (@SooperMexican) <a href="https://twitter.com/SooperMexican/status/349700860365901825" data-datetime="2013-06-25T20:29:16+00:00">June 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And 1,796 women now have that between them and God. Not the government.