1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas liberals shamefully protest Perry's measures to safeguard women's health

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 23, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

they're not mutually exclusive goals

trying to argue for abortion with this logic is flawed and purely an attempt to deflect attention.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Please reread my post and explain the hypocrisy in my logic.

Do you disagree with the idea of an individual being required to receive individualized and objective personal/medical counsel prior to an abortion? Surely you aren't suggesting that a fetus' consent is required before an abortion can take place. Or are you?

Aside: I'm actually pro-life, I understand that my thoughts and reasoning for that decision may not be shared by all. I also understand that the root of this dilemma is entrenched in morality. Meaning that it is an interanal and/or individual decision of right vs wrong. Otherwise, society would have already agreed upon a virtually mutual norm. I'm sure that few would argue with the notion of an abortion ever being an optimal solution; so why not build upon that common ground and create the much need norm for our society?

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Wouldn't universal free birth control be consistent with an anti-abortion stance.
    You could vastly reduce the baby murder rate.

4. hlcc

hlcc Member

like I said, we don't live in a magical world with unlimited resources. When resources are limited you divert them to the option with the best bang for the buck

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No, of course not. You could also said, it would be cool to give the mother the choice to kill her 10 year old child that have no ability to choose whether or not to live (due to some condition of the child). That is not the case by any standard today because we all accept that killing a human being is a crime and is not allowed (except in some cases). I'm pointing out that the choice, which you believe an unborn baby have, is not part of the equation. Whether or not the killed is a human being IS definitely part of the equation. Thus, as I stated, a fetus, if you want to argue, should not be aborted because is a human being, is a valid argument. Fetus, have a choice and thus should not be aborted, is not an argument, because it cannot form a choice of any kind.

1 person likes this.
  6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

So just to give everyone an update, there is a reasonable chance that this bill won't make it through the Senate.

The house took much longer than expected to pass the abortion bill (thanks in large part to the protests of people at the capitol) As a result, the Senate has until midnight on Tuesday to pass the bill before the session ends.

Unfortunately for them, 24 hours of debate are required before the vote (which started today at 11) so the debate ends on 11 tomorrow. The Democrats will then filibuster the bill and have to maintain a filibuster (the old school kind where you talk as long as you can) until midnight.

That's a 13 hour filibuster that's required until the session ends which is difficult but definitely doable. If I'm not mistaken, Wendy Davis from Fort Worth will be the one doing the filibuster.

Rick Perry can call a second special session (and I wouldn't be shocked if he did) which would give the Republicans ample time to pass the bill. But nonetheless, it may not survive this session.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why does it have to be free? $1/condom too much to pay?

8. SSP365

SSP365 Member

Absolutely pathetic thread.

Last I heard, there were only 724 operational abortion clinics within the United States. But to listen to the way these misogynistic conservative c.nts rattle on about it, you'd think there was an abortion clinic on every street corner in America.

9. bigtexxx

sorry you hate protecting women's health

somebody's got to look out for them

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A lot of people don't use condoms because of the way it feels compared to using nothing.

11. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

You say it like women can't look out for themselves. Nothing better then a man telling women how to take care of themselves.

1 person likes this.
  12. bigtexxx

nope -- you're grasping, son

no woman deserves the right to kill a child

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Thankfully the law disagrees with you.

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Not even close to grasping. Roe v Wade...Scoreboard. Sure you can have your opinion but the SCOTUS disagrees with you. Looks like you are almost 40 years behind the times..get with the program

15. bigtexxx

crowing "scoreboard" by killing unborn babies.

ladies and gentlemen, we have the modern day liberal before us.

shameful

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So if a woman gets raped and pregnant, does texxx believe that she doesn't have the "right" to choose to keep it or not?

I bet that texxx doesn't want the poors to have unwanted kids and then get government assistance for them. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

17. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Whoever said I was liberal?

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Birth control pills are not a dollar and don't reduce sensitivity.

But my backhanded point is the people in the Texas legislature aren't really trying to keep babies from being killed, they are trying to discourage dirty dirty sex. If they cared about the babies they would teach reproductive science and birth control methods in middle school, provide Planned Parenthood services, free prenatal care, adoption services, day care for working mothers, well funded schools and school lunches. All the things they are too prudish and too cheap to consider to really address the problem.

Kids really like sex, they are going to have sex. If we accepted that as natural, even inevitable and try to make it idiot proof that would go a long way. If we titter in the dark about it or settle for religious based abstinence we will continue to have idiots.

#58 Dubious, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Of course she doesn't! Obviously we should let the male controlled legislature tell women what they want.

20. bigtexxx

ineffective reasoning and not compelling logic

you're simply trying to deflect attention away from abortion by bringing up after birth care. Why can't you simply stick to abortion, rather than try to rationalize your position with another topic? Oh yeah, because you're incapable. Next.