1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas liberals shamefully protest Perry's measures to safeguard women's health

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

We all know what the conservatives are really fuming about---

again, for the benefit of all---

stop propagating clearly unconstitutional laws---

just like the Obamacare repeal, the law, as it stands, is a colossal waste of everybody's time.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

No one is pro abortion.

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

That is not what I originally commented on. If a baby at six months in the womb is aborted it should be murder.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

it is what you originally commented on---legally being the key operative word.

Says who?

This is a notion that is so extreme that even in the depths of ecclesiastical law, the notion of abortion as murder does not merit much consideration.

You need to start thinking about what you're proposing. How long should the jail term be for the mother?

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes babies are killed. That's not legal. Nobody is arguing that babies should be legally killed.

So if the legislator is putting up baby sneakers to make a point about something that's already illegal, then he's not making much sense.

6. bobmarley

Note To Libs Who Swoon Over Liberal Europe: Majority of Countries Ban Abortions After 12 Week Mark, Only Two Have Laws Allowing Late-Term Abortions…

[​IMG]

What do the liberals who call attempts to ban abortions in America after 20-22 weeks “extreme” and a “war on women” think about France banning abortions after only 12 weeks?

Via Weekly Standard:http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The American left loves Western European democracies for their cultural sensibilities and for their policies on everything from crime to health care. One policy area where you won’t hear American liberals cite the European example, though, is abortion.

The reason is simple: Abortion law is far more restrictive in Europe than in the United States. As the table below shows, 16 of 18 countries on the continent limit abortion to the first trimester of pregnancy(with certain exceptions in various countries). The banning of late-term abortions now being considered in the House of Representatives and some American states would seem only civilized to most Europeans.

Not to U.S. liberals, who call “extremism” the attempt by some in Congress to promote a bill banning abortions after 22 weeks. A similar bill in Texas is “a sweeping assault on women’s rights,” in the words of the Nation. Yet even these bills—in the unlikely event they became laws—would be among the most permissive in the Western world.

Indeed, only Canada, the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands would have more permissive laws. Even anti-Catholic France bans abortion at 12 weeks, nearly 3 whole months before the gestational limit in the House bill. By international standards, Republican efforts to ban late abortions are anything but conservative—they are fringe left.

7. mc mark

Thank god we live in America, not Europe.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Great post. This is perfect evidence of how the liberals cannot think for themselves. They get into a silly "us vs. them" political game in which they automatically take the position opposite republicans. Low information, low-thinking people, are what these liberals are.

9. mc mark

My advice to the two of you is to go live in a country where you are more comfortable with the abortion laws.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How is it clearly unconstitutional?

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

solid post after edit

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You guys freaking hate Europe, now you want to be more like Europe? The cherry picking is absurd.

13. juicystream

It is interesting that despite liberal economic policies, they would have far less liberal policies on abortion.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Perhaps has to do with much better access to health care for the poor and lower/middle class. The US has one of the higher infant mortality rates for 1st world nations from what I recall.

15. juicystream

We should have a better system. I've come to favor Universal Healthcare.

Win-win for me.

16. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Can we not give you the same advice and ask you to move to a state that you are more comfortable killing your fetus? (obviously not you since you don't have a uterus)

17. bobmarley

Wendy Davis On Texas House Passing Late-Term Abortion Bill: “It’s Inhumane,” Women Have “Literally No Control Over Their Own Bodies”…

You know what else is inhumane? Sucking a fully-formed viable baby from the womb and tossing it in the trash.

She made this comment today on über-hack Andrea Mitchell’s show:

[​IMG]

Note: Isn’t Mitchell supposed to be an objective journalist? You’d swear she was Davis’ spokeswoman judging by the above tweet.

-------------

What is wrong with adoption?

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think 20 weeks is probably OK, but the issue was debated to death and decided by the Supreme Court. At some point you have to accept the legal definintion of what is a baby and what isn't. What is so bad about the Texas bill is that it intentionally removes availability for a perfectly legal services.

If you want women to stop killing babies why aren't you promoting sex education and birth control? If you aren't doing that then just admit you really just want to control sexual relations.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Didn't they add like 100 million to the Women's Health program this year? Thought I heard that during the hearing. To me, that is a separate but important issue. We DO need to offer more services to ensure there are less teen pregnancies, we DO need to reform our Child Protective Services agency, we DO need to ensure that women AND men have access to necessary health care. However, we DO need to protect those who don't even have a CHANCE. Also, this bill won't close down every clinic. They said the exact same thing in PA when similar legislation was passed, and only a hand full closed. Also, that doesn't mean these clinics can't stay open and shift their focus to other means of contraception (it is sick to me that anyone would use abortion as a method of contraception to begin with). They can continue to focus on the other VERY important medical needs that SOME of these clinics provide.

It also erks me that there is no push for personal responsibility in this debate. This is not a religious issue to me. I want murder to be illegal, but not because of my religion, because I know it is morally wrong...you don't need religion to have morals. You have plenty of choices, but when you choose wrong, you shouldn't be able to eliminate a life to eliminate your problems. I wholeheartedly agree we need to improve out education system, but let me reiterate, there has to be some responsibility on the part of the young men and women, and of the parents of these children to STRESS the importance of education.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The legal definitions are the key. What constitutes a baby from cell structure decides what is a medical procedure and what is murder. It just seems that this has been debated and decided. Reputable doctors have been performing the legal medical procedure for 40 years, the precedent seems set.

If it were about baby killing, we would have free birth control, free pre-natal care and and free support for new mothers. That's how important it would be.