1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Hall of Fame welcomes 2 Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BobFinn*, Nov 21, 2002.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Nov. 20, 2002, 8:08PM

Texas Hall welcomes 2 Astros

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

When Gerry Hunsicker received his first job with the Astros in 1978 as traveling secretary, he marveled at J.R. Richard's imposing presence on the mound. Almost 25 years later, he remains in awe.

Many great pitchers have passed through Houston since, including Nolan Ryan, Joe Niekro, Mike Scott and Randy Johnson. Young co-aces Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller are off to tremendous starts, but Hunsicker still favors Richard, who led the National League with 303 strikeouts in 1978 and 313 strikeouts in 1979.

Hunsicker and Richard are part of the class of 2002 that will be inducted into the Texas Baseball Hall of Fame tonight at the Round Up Inn of the Will Rogers Coliseum in Fort Worth.

"I guess someone has seen fit to place me among some of the most influential people in the baseball profession that have made a significant contribution in the state of Texas," Hunsicker said. "It's a great honor, a very humbling one when you look at all the great chapters that have been written for our sport and for our state."

The Astros have won four NL Central Division titles in Hunsicker's seven years as general manager, building one of the premier player development and scouting departments in the game.

Baseball's Executive of the Year in 1998, Hunsicker is a major reason the Astros were named Organization of the Year in 2001 by Baseball Weekly, Baseball America, Topps and SportsTicker.

Richard, who was 20-15 in 1976, starred for the Astros from 1971 until his career was cut short by a stroke in 1980. He compiled a 107-71 career record with a 3.15 ERA, winning 18 or more games four straight seasons (1976-79).

"I was one of the lucky people to see J.R. at the top of his game," Hunsicker said. "It's an honor to be inducted with him. He was the most dominating pitcher I've seen in my lifetime."