1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas family sues over "under God" reference in pledge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Not sure if it's in this forum or the D&D, but this recurring topic came up again....

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/91703_APstate_pledge.html

(9/17/03 - ABILENE, TX) — An Abilene family is fighting against the Pledge of Allegiance over the phrase "under God."

In February, an 11-year-old girl refused to say the pledge with the phrase in class.

A substitute teacher told the girl she'd no right to live in America.

The girl's father decided to file a lawsuit in Taylor County against the current Abilene school superintendent, the school district, the state of Texas, the US Congress and President Bush.

The suit seeks no monetary damages, but does seek removing "in God we trust" from money, to rewrite the Pledge of Allegiance without the phrase "under God" and to forbid teaching theology in public schools.

The Abilene school district says they're simply following the law. The district hasn't been served with papers and a court date hasn't been set yet.

Senate Bill 83 went into effect on September 1 and mandates that public schools have the pledge to the United States and Texas flags and a moment of silence.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many? I'm so sick of this kind of crap. :rolleyes:

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I want to sue someone for something too

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Come on now! We're trying to sex up our children as early as possible. "Under God" just gets in the way...

5. Timing

Timing Member

A teacher tells a kid she has no right to live in America because she won't say under god in the pledge and here you are acting like your sensibilities have been horribly wronged. Get over yourself. The needs of a few Christian zealots don't outweigh the law. I'm pretty sick of that too come to think of it.

And you're a teacher I believe, that's frightening.

#5 Timing, Sep 17, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2003
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is hilarious. A sub (wrongly) reprimands a student and they figured they'd just file one simple lawsuit to set aright everything they don't like in the world. What does teaching theology in public schools (which was already forbidden, I thought) have to do with saying the pledge of allegiance?

Forget the fact that there is already a case in the works regarding the term "under God" in the pledge that the Supreme COurt could pick up if it wanted. Their suit sounds so silly with all the other stuff thrown in that I doubt it will get much consideration in court.

7. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I used to live in Abilene. I believe it.

The city has more churches per capita than any city in the US and there are a ton of zealots there...

8. Falcons Talon

Wow...do you need some help with context clues. What got your panties all bunged up? No no...your right. We should remove God from everything in this country because one...two if you include yourself... uptight bungholes want to challenge everyone and everything that has been the status quo in this country for over 200 years. Chriatian Zealots...please...if anyone needs to get over yourself, it's you. While your at it...try pulling that greased needle out of your uptight arse again.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

10. Falcons Talon

And as a teacher, I can spot an obnoxious-know-it-all-brat a mile away.

I sure have fun teaching American Literature. I really love it when I get to teach the beliefs that our country was founded on and back it up with literary reference.

11. Timing

Timing Member

Oh hell who could argue with the uptight bunghole defense. You're so right in that the status quo determines the rightness and wrongness of action. How silly of me to question that genius especially when it's done with such class. Bravo man.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ignorance is Bliss Falcon

The Pledge of Alliagiance was originally writen by a Baptist minsiter in 1892, WITHOUT the words Under God, which were added in 1954 after a campaign by the Knights of Columbus (a religious organization). But that's just the facts.

13. Timing

Timing Member

Ooooh okay, people exercising their rights are obnoxious know it all brats and the teachers who attempt to shame them with attacks are just fine upstanding members of the community trying to set them straight. You sound like precisely the type of teacher that needs to be receiving a summons.

14. Maynard

Maynard Member

uh, Slavery was the status quo for what 200 years?

woman not being allowed to vote was the status quo for even longer than that..

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Oops :cool:.

16. Falcons Talon

Thanks you for that bit of information pgabriel. What caused the change to "Under God".

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You're comparing "under God" in the pledge to slavery and women not being allowed to vote?

Is this really the hill you want to die on?

18. Falcons Talon

LMAO!!! You know nothing about me. I do enjoy what you are trying to say though. It tickles me so. Thanks for the laugh.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have no idea, I just remember looking it up when the lawsuit in California was submitted. The history of things like the pledge are interesting to me, because Americans make all kinds of claims when issues like this come up, and most of really don't know where things like the Pledge come from.

Another interesting fact I just looked up, the Supreme Court ruled in 1945 that you couldn't force school children to say the Pledge.

I always wondered about that.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I can see this being switched to the D&D forum in 3.....2.....1.....