1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Couple Arrested for Wearing Anti-Bush Shirts at July 4 Campaign Stop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Jul 14, 2004.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

These people were not causing an uproar like what you described. They were wearing t-shirts for Christ's sake.

Defending this is low even for you. I expect it out of t_j, but you seem far more intelligent than that.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Didn't the story say they were arrested for trespassing? What is "the rest of the story?"

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

here is another serious problem w/ bush...it was harry truman who said "the buck stops here". in the end he considered himself responsible for everything that went on under him. bush's tactics seem to be to project blame and excuses on everyone but himself. he constantly refuses to take responsiblity for things that go on under his watch. the whole "mission accomplished" banner being the most obvious and pathetic. "it was the sailors on the ship who put it up." maybe so, but he cant deny that he saw that huge-ass banner before he got up there to declare "an end to major combat operations." why did the president not order that taken down when he saw it?

and blaming the cia on misinformation is another. he has yet to take responsbility for intelligence failures. its always someone else's fault.

it doesnt silence them, but it removes them from the event and the president. out of site, out of mind. the term "free speech zone" is disgusting. i thought the whole country was a free speech zone? under the bush administration words have effectively become weapons. i always found this to be the tactics of dictators.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

A golf tournament is a "free speech" area as well, but that doesn't give you an excuse to act like an ass. Obnoxious idiots are removed and I don't see why they can't be removed from a politcal rally for any candidate.

5. giddyup

I'm not defending the detainment as much as I am trying to slow down the laying of the blame at Bush's feet. I seriously doubt he had anything to do with it, yet that is all the critics here seem to care about.

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Wrong.

A golf tournament is an event held on private property from which you can be ejected by the owners of said property.
    Even if held at a municipal course, when buying a ticket to a tournament you agree to follow certain rules. Read the back of the ticket next time if you don't believe me.

Political rallies are free events held on public property. If you are causing a disturbance, then you can be removed. If you are exercising free speech (which was silent in this case) you are not violating any laws.

7. giddyup

If you want to meet a dictator, get a flight to Baghdad as quickly as you can. Look up Saddam Hussein. He murdered some 400,000 of his own citizens. Now there's a dictator.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

We probably need a little more detail in this case to determine what happened and why. If this was an event on public property and all the couple was doing was standing there wearing ant-Bush t-shirts, they have a right to complain and everyone here should understand that whether you agree with their stance or not.

But, it is certainly possible that they were being disruptive or even disorderly in their conduct, in which case they should have been removed.

Until we know the details, it is pretty speculative either way.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Why does Jeff hate America and people who are unreasonable?

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I imagine we won't here another side of this story as the others involved don't want to make this a huge deal.

Also, does anybody know if this stuff happened under the previous 3 Presidents?

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Isn't that what I just said?

12. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

No you used a golf tournament as an example which was wrong.

Disturbance = Disturbing the Peace, an offense you can be arrested for. A T-Shirt is not disturbing the peace. Not even really loud ones like this:

[​IMG]

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

9/11 changed everything.:rolleyes:

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/2004/July/15/update.htm

charges have been dropped.

this is the most disturbing part of the whole thing. local police being coerced into doing the secret services dirty work...

Jones said the city officers who filed the trespassing charges were acting under the direction of the Secret Service.

"The officers are in a bind here," Jones said.

"I think we need some guidance. Perhaps the Secret Service should have been called and let the Secret Service do with them what they want," Jones said.

"The city of Charleston does not engage in violating people’s rights. We want everybody to come here," said Jones, a Republican.

15. Chump

Chump Member

do locals have to do what a SS agent tells them?

16. outlaw

outlaw Member

this sounds like a future episode of Reno 911!
    sticktime!

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We didn't need any additional details about whether the couple was being disorderly. Some people on the board, didn't need additional information to support the arrest merely based on the fact that the t-shirst said 'Love America - Hate Bush'. Without any additional information some members were praising their arrest.

As to being disorderly are the people jo mamma mentioned that clap flip-flops together noisily when Kerry speaks being disorderly?

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

It goes to the tone of this administration. Apparently, someone gave the Secret Service the impression that removing anyone remotely anti-Bush is worth going to the trouble of detaining two people for 10 hours because they were wearing a t-shirt with the "wrong" message.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL

20. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

The problem with your arguement is that China is communist....

They have no free speech whatsoever.

Here you can wear that t-shirt, sure, fine, just don't let a secret serviceman at a public presidential appearance see you do it.

Have we learned anything from this, kids?

This would be what is known as a "precedent" in anti-president t-shirt wearing.

Don't do it within' site of a secret serviceman at a public presedential apperance.

Okay? Okay.

BTW - charges were dropped.

Next.

Exactly!! The difference is "action" has not been taken... yet.

dictionary.com

ha·tred

n. Intense animosity or hostility.

[Middle English : hate, hate; see hate + -rede, condition (from Old English -rden. See ar- in Indo-European Roots).]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

hatred

n : the emotion of hate; a feeling of dislike so strong that it demands action [syn: hate] [ant: love]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

So if hate indicates "hostility" and "a feeling of dislike so strong that it demands action" and I want to keep my job as a secret service agent... I see everything inflammatory in my presence, especially post 9/11 under the same President in office at that time, as something I'd better be ding dang sure doesn't explode in my face... literally.

Loud, unruly, obnoxious or not. The word "Hate" is hostile.

In my presence, to my face, in this climate? It's worse... especially if I'm secret service.

#100 IROC it, Jul 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2004